PDA

View Full Version : 5m plate CC - do i get a little hardtop or not

dooley
22-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Hey gang,

The quest for the ultimate 5m plate boat continues.

I've yet to nailed down which manufacturers i'll go with but the question now is on the layout.

Most of my fishing will be done down Sydney way now, in the bays, harbours and insdhore/offshore. Bulk of it will be in the bays and up to a few miles out i imagine.

I'll be doing a lot of lure fishing, some jigging also and trolling livebaits

With centre consoles being wet boats, do i try to get a little hard top or t-top arrangement with clears or not ? i'm doubting the effectiveness or a hard top in such a small vessel.

Pros
don't get wet from sea spray
electronics stay dry
can hide from rain (but in windy conditions you can kiss that goodbye)
can mount radios up top
can add rocket launcher

Cons
deck will feel smaller given additional superstructure and hard top
have to be careful when you cast or jig a rod
casting deck (bow of boat) and rear of boat will feel more separated/isolated
in such a small boat, the shelter provided by the arrangement may only be suitable for 1 angler, 2 anglers tops and the 3rd still gets wet

Any thoughts from other centre console owners out there?

cheers,
d

Marlin_Mike
22-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I had a CC with no targa top.

Then i put one on and made a huge difference.

Do it

Mike

peterbo3
22-05-2008, 04:56 PM
On a small boat the hardtop may affect performance especially in a crosswind by acting as a sail. See what the builder says. And as for only one person getting real shelter, that person should be you.

disorderly
22-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Mate ,a CC is OK up here in north queensland but you are going to freeze your 'nads off in Sydney for half the year.
If you plan on tossing lures maybe a runabout is the way to go...A wraparound windscreen up the front makes life so much more pleasant and drier and free's up the deckspace at the rear for casting without the hardtop in the way.

Scott

dooley
22-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Mate ,a CC is OK up here in north queensland but you are going to freeze your 'nads off in Sydney for half the year.
If you plan on tossing lures maybe a runabout is the way to go...A wraparound windscreen up the front makes life so much more pleasant and drier and free's up the deckspace at the rear for casting without the hardtop in the way.

Scott

yeah i've been thinking about a runabout but would much prefer a centre console layout with a raised deck for estuary luring and the back half for the offshore work.

disorderly
22-05-2008, 05:28 PM
yeah i've been thinking about a runabout but would much prefer a centre console layout with a raised deck for estuary luring and the back half for the offshore work.

Maybe a bowrider then...the front space could be used as a casting deck...
Mate with a CC you really have to hunch up like a hobbit behind the windscreen to get any protection at all...and even then it's minimal.

dooley
22-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I had a CC with no targa top.

Then i put one on and made a huge difference.

Do it

Mike

hey mate,

how big was the boat and where did it make the biggest difference ?

death_ship
22-05-2008, 06:16 PM
cold and wet

Donny Boy
22-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Quotes.
"With centre consoles being wet boats, do i try to get a little hard top or t-top arrangement with clears or not ? i'm doubting the effectiveness or a hard top in such a small vessel."
"you are going to freeze your 'nads off in Sydney for half the year."

Mate, Cruisecraft have got a cracker of a 5m unit, not a CC, not plate, but good walk around access, plenty of room too, and it may solve your problems.

megafish71
22-05-2008, 06:46 PM
G'day Dooley, I don't think that the hard top itself would make to much of a difference, but the clears will add to the windage particularly with a strong crosswind. You haven't stated any manufacturer so we cant make comment on a particular boat. If the boats your looking at have a deep V than maybe consider fitting a set of trim tabs to it so you can rectify any list that the extra windage may cause. I understand some of the comments reguarding getting a run about or bowrider to give yourself some extra protection from the elements, but if your after a dedicated fishing platform you really cant go past a centre console. Anyway good luck with it all, and hope I was of some help.

Cheers Ron

fivefishes
22-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Dooley,

Can't recommend the T-Top enough, i just fitted one along with a great little custom fab plastic console to my 4.5m open tinny, never go back.

Yes, you lose some deck space
Yes, the T-Top does act a little like a sail
Yes, you do have to watch your backswing/jigging action

But you gain,
Shade
Protection from rain, even if only for 2
Somewhere to mount accessories

Anything that makes the mrs comfortable and hence my life easier is worth it's weight in gold (or petrol these days).

Matt

Marlin_Mike
22-05-2008, 07:22 PM
hey mate,

how big was the boat and where did it make the biggest difference ?

gave me shade and protection from the rain. Didnt affect the boats performance at all.

Mike

Mad one.
22-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi Dooley,

I have a 5m CC which has a T-roof, I found it to be very wet so i have had some extra clears made as the attached photos should show, I have found the clears to be great in protecting all who stand behind the console when under way, most times i only need to have one side up, when fishing all i do is roll them back against the console and they are totally out of the way.

One thing is that the roof can act as a sail in certain winds which do lean the boat over, however i have never found the T-roof to be a problem.

I would say get one for the extra protection it gives you and your electrics from the water and sun.

Just my view

Mad one.

Dantren
23-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Yep.

Have been using the same T-Top setup as Mad one, on a 5m CC.

Provides more shade than you think & can follow the shade around as the day goes on.

My gps doesn't need an aerial to work through the roof - just check on your radio aerial position.

Dan.

sid_fishes
23-05-2008, 04:15 PM
mate , i built mine and its the best thing that i have done, i dont have clears as yet but i am looking at them. my c/c is 900 wide so the screen is great as well, protection for electronics as well as me and deckie. yes you do have to think about casting , but it is easy to move around, with rods up out of the way[ rocket launcher]. my boat is a black pearl marine 5 mtr c/c all plate and all good. just do it cheers ian

goldie 70
23-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Depends on who is building it first, then make sure that they will actually fix it when it does crack and not stuff you around when it comes to warranty

finding_time
23-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I you get the tt you'll have to get tabs fitted or the boat will perform like shite! It will lean into the wind all the time and land on just the wrong part of the hull. imho a 5m boat is to small and narrow for a hard top and will perform much better with out it, tabs will help though!

Ian