PDA

View Full Version : Servicing Regularity

TimiBoy
22-05-2008, 04:07 PM
When my recommended servicing interval is 100hrs or 12 months, what should I do if I'm using the engine a lot? I've done 170ish hours in 12 months, and anticipate doing more in the next year.

I've had the Verado done at 100 intevals, but am I overdoing it?

notsa
22-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I could be wrong ,but I thought that if you did 100 hours before 12 months was up you would need to ger it serviced even if was only 9 months.

disorderly
22-05-2008, 04:30 PM
The best thing to do would be to trade up to an E-Tec..only have to service them every 300 hours....http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

snelly1971
22-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I am probably a little over the top with my motors, but i change my engine oil every 50 hrs and the filters every 100..

Gearbox oil every 100 and the water pump impella every 150 -200

Mick

peterbo3
22-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Timi,
Study your warranty. Suzi requires the motor to be serviced at 100 hours or 12 months, whichever comes first. I do not know what Merc require. There is no real way of stuffing the motor with a longer service interval but warranty is peace of mind.
Always a good idea to check your gearbox oil every 50 hours. I use a hypodermic syringe with a length of tube on it & sample the oil through the top hole. 2 minute job.

disorderly
22-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Always a good idea to check your gearbox oil every 50 hours. I use a hypodermic syringe with a length of tube on it & sample the oil through the top hole. 2 minute job.

Peter ..what do you mean by sampling oil...are you looking for water?.

Scott

peterbo3
22-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Disorderly,
100% correct. Even though I have a new motor, seals have been known to be faulty. I also pull the prop & regrease the shaft.

Cheech
22-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Warranty had not occurred to me as I have never owned a new enough motor that had a warranty. If there was a warranty then you would have to get it done at the stated frequency.

But without warranty, once a year regardless of the hours. I do like the idea of the syringe check though. I think I will start doing that myself.

Was speaking to my mechanic today whilst servicing my 150 2 stroke,and he agreed that yearly was fine. May be different if not a standard 2 stroke, but I doubt that I would do more frequently no matter what sort I had.

Cheech

Spaniard_King
22-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Disorderly,
100% correct. Even though I have a new motor, seals have been known to be faulty. I also pull the prop & regrease the shaft.

So if oil floats on water How is this SO ?? given that not all oils will mix with water. Its also possible that the water may settle to the bottom of the gearbox and leave just good oil on the top::)

Spaniard_King
22-05-2008, 06:30 PM
When my recommended servicing interval is 100hrs or 12 months, what should I do if I'm using the engine a lot? I've done 170ish hours in 12 months, and anticipate doing more in the next year.

I've had the Verado done at 100 intevals, but am I overdoing it?

Tim,

100 hrs is the standard amount most OEM manufacturers design there engines to be serviced at. Although each outboard is used differently some will need servicing more than others. Servicing entails more than just oils and filters, some only find this out when they need a repair of some sort::)

bluefin59
22-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Iuse 100hrs as a benchmark but sometimes run a little over to get me to 12mnth maybe 120hr but i do it same time every year august same time as the ekka ...matt

peterbo3
22-05-2008, 08:00 PM
So if oil floats on water How is this SO ?? given that not all oils will mix with water. Its also possible that the water may settle to the bottom of the gearbox and leave just good oil on the top::)
Garry,
That is why the tube (spaghetti line from irrigation) is there. I can get down deep.
So are you saying that Honda does not produce gearbox oil with an emulsifying additive?:huh2:

Spaniard_King
22-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Garry,
That is why the tube (spaghetti line from irrigation) is there. I can get down deep.
So are you saying that Honda does not produce gearbox oil with an emulsifying additive?:huh2:
Peter,

Firstly Honda does not make there own oils, they buy from one of the major oil companies and resell. On that note Honda has designed there engine based on mineral oils and hence best operate on these. No synthetic oils are needed. Depending on the time and amount of water introduced into a gearcase will have a dramatic effect on wether or not it emulsifies or simply lays in the gearcase.

IMO if you use a tube as such you cannot get to the bottom of the gearcase where the water will be present if any. If you have good seals on the gearcase, removing the bottom bung (very little oil will flow out)will indicate the true condition of the gearcase assembly also the bottom bung most likely magnetic and will hold any foreign matter aslo indicating if problems are inevitable.

So why bother with the syringe??

BM
22-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Peter,

Outboard gearoils all contain emulsifiers although if the engine has sat for a short time the oil and water seperate and upon first cracking the drain screw on the leg (bottom screw) water will come out clear and clean, followed by oil.

That method of yours sounds quite elaborate! I prefer the "standard" method of unscrew the drain screw and drain a tiny bit onto a rag. Finger in the drain hole, check the rag, check the screw magnet for bits then pop it back in.

Cheers

TimiBoy
23-05-2008, 06:18 AM
If you have a metal dipstick, you'll see a fair bit on condensation on it when the motor's cold if water's getting into the sump. A scary sight. I saw it in my first truck. I worried. The mechanic said it was fine. It blew up a month later. He is no longer my mechanic...

But if there's an appreciable amount of water getting in there it will send the oil's colour off a bit.

I will continue to service every 100 hours (if I get to 12 months first I should be shot!) Certainly that was my belief, I just wanted to check!

Many thanks to Cheech for inspiring this thread;)