PDA

View Full Version : beacon to beacon or gps ?

Yab Man
22-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Only new to the water but it seams no one realy knows were to chanel is and what side to pass on ?

I have a hand held gps and have marked out the chanel on it and us it as my guid
a few of my mate tell me that I should use the beacon to beacon,

what do we all use?
Other than local knowhow which is always the best

Chimo
22-05-2008, 02:07 PM
B to B is a good way to go from NSW border north.

Useful for the money.

Chimo

Mtx
22-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Both.

Especially at night

BaitThrower
22-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Yes both. The Beacon to Beacon will have information the GPS maps probably do not. If I am navigating an area for the first time, I'll look up the B to B often while also verifying my location on the GPS. If familiar with the area, I'll primarily just use GPS, but of course also verifying my locations visually by matching up beacons as I pass them etc.

You should do a boat license course to learn the basics of navigation and what side of beacons you need to pass on. The course should also teach you how to read your maps properly... particulary direction of bouyage in whatever area you happen to be in. If you do not know that, then you will not know which side of the bouys you need to be travelling on.

Moonlighter
22-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Agree with the others - need both to be safe.

Grant

r3volt
22-05-2008, 08:06 PM
I find all my marks on charts & the B to B and transfer them to my gps

TheRealAndy
22-05-2008, 08:22 PM
NEVER RELY ON A GPS ALONE!!!!! What happens if you have a power failure or your batteries go flat! Beacon to Beacon is good start, but if you cant use a compass its still not the best.

I use my GPS all the time, but I always have my beacon to beacon, and I have a compass that I know how to use. The compass I have is only a $5 baseplate k mart job but I can still take usable bearings with it. I have used it hiking, along side my $100 silvia compass and its just as good. A compass is worth more than any GPS when navigating.

Angla
22-05-2008, 08:29 PM
all the maps, GPS, b to b are no good if you don't add a bit of "common sense" and courtesy.

Chris

For Steve
22-05-2008, 09:11 PM
B2B and GPS, chart and compass on standby, then add correct speed and observation. You'll soon start to recognise the beacons in the areas you frequent. It can look quite confusing in a new area especially at night but you soon find your feet.

When I first started visiting the Broadwater all those years ago, I remember taking it one beacon at a time at night. If in doubt, motor to your next beacon, stop, find the next one and get underway again. Best to be safe than sorry.

revs57
23-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Both, for all the above reasons

Outsider1
23-05-2008, 08:22 AM
B2B and GPS, chart and compass on standby, then add correct speed and observation. You'll soon start to recognise the beacons in the areas you frequent. It can look quite confusing in a new area especially at night but you soon find your feet.

When I first started visiting the Broadwater all those years ago, I remember taking it one beacon at a time at night. If in doubt, motor to your next beacon, stop, find the next one and get underway again. Best to be safe than sorry.

Lots of good advice there Steve.

night time navigation can be very scary at first until you learn to orientate.

You should always navigate in the first instance by observation. The GPS, Compass, Beacon to Beacon etc should all be aids rather than you primary navigation devices. Use them to work out your direction, whether you are on course, to look for marks etc etc but always only as guides. Learn to navigate without them over time if you can. You will find you will loose most of your anxiety and will enjoy it much more once you can, and it is satisfying as well.

And yes I have 2 GPS plus Beacon to Beach plus several Maps on board at all times.

Cheers

Dave

reelchippy
23-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Both.

Especially at night

Spot both cheers

Fatenhappy
24-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Agree with the multitude ... both absolutely.

Direction of travel can be tricky some times when you are in unfamilar waters using the backwaters to the Broadwater as an example near the Gold Coast.

GPS are good, but what happens if they die. You really need to be familar with both. If you use the beacon to beacon in addition to the GPS your confidence will grow, as well as the beacon to beacon indicating direction of travel in relation to all beacons.

Just remember to keep the beacon to beacon orientated to the direction of travel and just pick out relavent land marks as you go !!!

Cheers
Greg

benjy
24-05-2008, 11:09 AM
A good spotlight to find the unlit beacons at night is a must as well, otherwise you'll almost run into them before you seem them on a dark night.

Also helps you spot all the jokers with no lights on. Was out in a mate's boat last night - there were 3 other boats anchored near us all with incorrect or no lights.

SummerTrance
24-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I also think it's best go explore the area lots during the day, before you try going out at night.