PDA

View Full Version : GCGFC Cabo Blue Marlin Classic

Smithy
22-05-2008, 10:28 AM
A Couple of weeks ago this tournament was held attracting 37 boats. Barry Alty's 49' Custom "Mistress" rose to the top of the pack with 3 Blues tagged for the two days from 4 hooked. Congrats to Baz, Brett Alty (skipper), Jeff Flentjar (#2 angler with Barry who got two of their fish) and Rocket the deckie. So far this season they have tagged something like 23 Blue Marlin. A good effort and a tournament win was due to them with their success and time on the water. Boats to tag two included the 40' Carribean "Game Time", 40' White Cap "Dream Catcher II", 36' Riv "Maverick" and 34' Deep V "100%". The 40' Obrien "Obsession" tagged a Spearfish and some Mahi Mahi to get ahead of a fair few other boats on 1 fish each with the bonus field goal points. That picked up Lee the lady off it the Female prize. The angler from "Maverick" got the angler prize on countback from Owen Hancox off "100%" from Jeff Flentjar.

I fished on "Nauti Suzanne" again the 33' Obrien of Van Karas'. We lost one early due to the dacron bedding down on the layers below then got one for Bruce Morgenstern, his first Marlin. Previous to that he had mostly been the driver on them since his first Sail caught with us on "Shikaree" his 5.2 KC and now "Enticer" his 7.5 Sailfish.

Day two I got to fish on the "Mistress". That was good timing with them being in contention after the first day then going on to win. It was a pleasure to watch a gun crew in action and I got to clear some rods and steer the chair on the fish that did bite us. We got smashed the first day once again in the smaller boat (I think I may have even broken a rib! If not it is got severe bruising and the pain has got worse the last couple of days like the last time I broke ribs. While driving with a wave I wasn't watching putting me into the steering wheel!) and like a lot of boats did not fish day two on the same sort of weather forecast and the boys went off and did Mother's day stuff. If we had have been in contention we would have been out there as the OB is raising fish at the moment and and anything touching my hooks is staying connected. The 40' Black Watch "Black Dog", ex. "Bolero" from Vanuatu copped one while trolling that rolled up through the bridge and knocked out the perspex windscreen. They saw 4 for the day and if they had stayed connected could have been right up there.

Well done to the committee once again and Shari on the radio especially seemed like she had been doing it for ages. Well done to Graham Mcloy for being the main sponsor again of a tournament that does something that he likes to do - chase Blue Marlin.

Pictured is Morgy with his first Marlin. We called it at 150kg on stand up 80. Pink/blue/silver Top Gun Nightmare at SR again on the Obrien. Had two up each day and lost two now on Lumo Sprockets.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/May/morgyblue.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/May/morgyvert.jpg

snapper napper
22-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Just a little note but the owner of the "maverick" is the Ceo of BCF steve Doyle

sangan
22-05-2008, 04:31 PM
I've never been out fishing for these Superfish, but would love to try it one day. Great fishing and hope that ribs feeling better.