PDA

View Full Version : my new axles

reel scream
21-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Hello all,

I'm after some advice on how to treat my new axles. To cut a long story short, i neglected my axles for two years:smash: and the last three has seen them completely RS.

Bit the bullet and $1355.00 later:'( have brand new axles and springs:) .

I would appreciate any advice on how fellow AF members have prepared and maintained their axles. Please include the good and the bad.

I have thought of spraying the lot with ?fishemulsion and then wrapping in denzo tape??????

Cheers Scott

shano
21-05-2008, 08:30 PM
what type of axles and springs did you buy for $1355.00
bit pricey !!! they want to be galvanised springs! was this fitted?

DAVE_S
21-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Scottie
just coat them in tectyl 506 its about the best thing to protect them from salt water ,you can buy it from most boating places .
now thats the good, now the bad this time give them a good wash with fresh water;).

reel scream
21-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Shano- 2200 50ml square solid,gal x 2. one fitted with brakes etc. Basically gave them my old ones and said please give me the same new.

Dave- will look into that thanks and yes, there will be plenty of fresh water flowing over them. Water restrictions, what water restrictions:-X .

Thanks Scott

CHAPPY
22-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Re new axles and springs,
You seem to indicate the water restrictions were a contributing factor. Consider the cost you have just outlayed and the cost of a small water tank. I have just installed a 4000lt. unit. The right honerable water commissioner can go and have a funny run. It puts you in charge again. Wash what you like when you like.

I practice prevention rather than cure.

Regards Chappy

Moonlighter
22-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Scott

I've coated the whole trailer with lanolin (the Ozspray variety - industry extra grade).

Trailer 7 years old this year and apart from a couple of zinc coated bolts that were replaced, no rust at all. Trailer looks grimy because dust/dirt sticks to the lanolin, but wipe it off with some degreaser and the metal's shiny underneath.

I re-spray it every couple of years or after trips to Fraser (where it gets a free sand-blast on the way to Orchid Bch and back!) and try to get as much as possible on the axels and springs and also inside the RHS.

PS Check the water comm website - I think you might find that it is legal to hose down axels/brakes for safety reasons - but like others, I've got a water tank (10,000L) so I wash my boat whenever I like and the water comm'r can blow it out her XXXX! (that'd be a fair size explosion I reckon ......;))

Grant

shano
22-05-2008, 08:49 PM
yeah i use lanolin industrial grade , cost $30 for 1 ltr! i used it on my boat trailer, now i use it on my 4x4 and also camper now! top stuff the old sheep oil!

shano
22-05-2008, 08:51 PM
also you said gal X 2 , is that the axles are gal?

litenup
22-05-2008, 10:14 PM
If you are using Tectyl 506 you need to let the galvanising weather, before coating, ie loose some of its shine. I bought a new trailer, coated with the 506 before boat was put on trailer, and got a reaction under the 506. I've just removed the 506 and will redo it soon. Tectyl is a great product, but the chemical reaction from the new galvanising needs to occur, apparently (advice from Tectyl eggsperts) before the coating. Cheers Pete.