PDA

View Full Version : Caboolture River Development

Derek Bullock
21-05-2008, 03:53 PM
http://www.questnews.com.au/images/mastheads/prp_mast_rgb.jpg (http://www.questnews.com.au/pine_rivers_press.html)
Ex-Mayor back in chamber

CABOLTURE, May 21: Former Caboolture mayor Joy Leishman returned to council chambers last week.
Failed mayoral candidate Mrs Leishman attended the Moreton Bay Regional Council strategic & planning committee meeting of May 14.
Mrs Leishman was part of the briefing team of the developers of the proposed multi-billion dollar NorthEast Business Park stretching south of the Caboolture River to Morayfield and Burpengary.
The ambitious plan has proposals including:
 A marina of 911 wet berths and 300-500 dry berths
 1300 residential blocks,
 1130 attached dwelling units,
 A 120-room hotel,
 A marina village with 17,000sq m of commercial area,
 170ha for mixed industry and business area, and
 A golf course
The development employs Mrs Leishman as the ``Caboolture business adviser’’.
She did not address the council committee.
The proposal is a ``project of significance’’ which means the State Government will take over many of the planning decisions with council placing submissions with the Co-ordinator-General’s office.
Visit www.northeastbusinesspark.com

PADDLES
21-05-2008, 04:14 PM
it's been in the pipeline for a while derek, they've had a bit of a public consultation day over at burpengary. jv between port binli who built raby bay and laing orourke. and yes, apparently the developers have enough clout to have completely bypassed council and it all gets approved by state government. i wonder how much that costs?

hungry6
22-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Possibly one of the best thing to happen to the area. Think "employment"or the lack of it in the general area atm. I was brief that the original concept had more "luxury style" residential, but the local govt. saw the oportunity to attach more job creation developement, rather than just a purely a res. dev. ie Pacific harbour.
As for cost, It has been mooted around $2b...

PADDLES
23-05-2008, 03:20 PM
yeah, you're right about the industrial land issue, there's a major shortage of it apparently. what better way to get your marina/condos through the red tape than by attaching it to an industrial estate, quite clever really. don't know about the "best thing" though hungry, our poor old river gets enough dodgy runoff from industrial areas and is now about to get more. it'll have to be dredged too.

dazza
24-05-2008, 01:37 PM
makes a joke out of the rezoning, the surrounding areas are so important for biodiversity they need to be protected by green/yellow zones, but they can bulldoze the guts out of surrounding areas.
wonder how active the epa will be?? not very because it is a "project of significance" read- its going ahead no matter what the impact
give me a break
cheers
dazza

tunaticer
24-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Will it have to abide by the mangove protection bill that was passed and enforced several years ago or will this be significant enough to overlook that bit of legislation?

Jack.

PADDLES
26-05-2008, 01:56 PM
g'day jack, i'd say they'd still have to abide by all the rules with the epa. their design looks to leave intact and to actually enhance the bank of the river which is good i suppose. like you've said though jack, if something is deemed to be "significant" an awful lot of red tape can disappear by the sounds of it. it does look like a fantastic development on what is essentially a degraded piece of land but they'll have to make some changes to the river to make it work for bigger boats on all tides.