PDA

View Full Version : Manly Boat Harbour Ramps.

cbruh1
21-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Hey there.

Just doing a search through the site about some ramps at low tide with a bigger boat. And it seams manly could be the go, but just wandering which ramp at the harbour to use, What I can see on google earth there is 2 ramps one north and south. I have attached a pic can someone confirm that these are the right ramps or let me know where to go.

I will be driving a bayliner 195 bowrider so its quite a large boat will this be alright at lower tides this weekend, not sure on what times I am going but would like to know that I wont run into any trouble, or should I just wait for the high tide.

Will be taking a cruise up to tangalooma wrecks via kooringal for some fishing and site seeing either friday night or sat morning til sunday morning.

Say gday if you see us.

sum

timddo
21-05-2008, 10:58 AM
i would use the north ramp, next to the coast guard.

TimiBoy
21-05-2008, 11:46 AM
The ramps at the VMR at Rbay Bay are good, they handle my big CC685 at low low, so your Bayliner should be a snack! Scarborough and Gold Coast (forget the name) close to the Seaway are good too for the family trips, as they have pontoons.

cbruh1
21-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for that timddo and timiboy,

I will use the northen ramp, any tricks of the trade I should know about that ramp?

tenzing
21-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Mate I regularly use the south ramp even at dead low with a 6m glass boat. It is quiet and the pontoon is a must for me. Could also consider it

Brendan

honda900
21-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I also use the south ramp a lot, the car park is never anywhere near full, Pontoon is great. 6.00mtr glass boat, never a problem, rarely a queue.

Regards
Honda.

For Steve
21-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Both ramps will be fine. There is some earthworks going on at the landing beach at the north ramp. There is still enough room for 2 boats side by side. The pontoon at the south ramp is very handy.

Cheers
Brad

Scalem
21-05-2008, 03:40 PM
The south ramp is my preferred, but my boat is nowhere near the size of yours. Having said that, I regularly see larger boats pull out of the southern ramp without a problem. Last time a bloke even forgot to trim the motor up before pulling his rig out. No problem! My comparisons are :
Northern ramp is Much busier and At high tide the water comes right up to the concrete steps at the edge of the water, and there is nowhere you can beach your boat without risking damage to your boat on the steps at high tide, and I hate putting the responsibility on my deckie to keep the boat away from the concrete. Southern ramp there is a pontoon which you can tie off on + you can beach the boat on mild coarse gravel.

There is also a public toilet at southern ramp.

Scalem

cbruh1
21-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Hmm, thanks for the advise guys, I think I will go to the sth ramp maybe, I am gonna have a quick look tomorrow, the pontoon sounds good as a glass boat and concrete don't mix to well.

Thanks fellas

thirsty merc
21-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Be Careful at the southern ramp at manly boat harbour at really low tide , the ramp flattens out at the bottom so you may hit bottom when launching .

Jimbo73
21-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Hey Callum is that your new ride?Thats a bit of an upgrade from the little tinnie you had at Tin Can.Looks nice mate.Cheers Jamie

cbruh1
21-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey Jamie, Well its mine for this weekend atleast ;D still got my little tinny, will be selling and upgrading soon. How have you been?

thanks again for all the help guys

Scalem
24-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Be Careful at the southern ramp at manly boat harbour at really low tide , the ramp flattens out at the bottom so you may hit bottom when launching .

Good point. NEVER push your boat off then allow it to gain too much momentum as it rolls off the trailer into the water. With my new trailer, all rollers working great, I did exactly that and put a chip in the corner/ underside of the transom - small glass repair for me. Always back the boat off with the winch strap/cable still attached as you ease it into the water there.

Scalem

ozscott
24-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Scalem - couldnt agree more - I always ease mine off on the winch....if you drive it off its not quite as easy to do it that slow and steady though

Jimbo73
24-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Sorry for late reply Callum.Been good,fishing good,everything good mate.how much you planning on selling the tinnie for?brother in law is on the search for a small boat.Cheers Jamie

Hamish73
24-05-2008, 09:05 PM
southern ramp is my preference with a 6.4M glass boat due to the close pontoon. Mrs has a bung leg.
low tide does require plenty of throttle in reverse to get it off the trailer.
There is also a pontoon at the northern ramp (via the jetty), only about a 5 min walk from the ramp. The northern ramp is far better for bigger boats (steeper angle)

ozscott
10-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Is the Southern ramp a public ramp like the northern one?

tenzing
10-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Certainly is. Used it last Fri right on low tide(.33m odd from memory) no problems encountered as long as you go easy.
Brendan.