PDA

View Full Version : Best Kayak for offshore Fishing

TJ Bear
20-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Looking for offshore fishing Yak, looked at Perception Swing, Viking ProFish 45and Hobbie Mirage adventure Fish. Have about 4k to setup a Yak. What are peoples thoughts about the above boats and is there any others I should look at.

Danimoth
20-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 or Elite 4.5

IMO Profish isn't a good yak for offshore work, especially if you want to do surf launches and reentries.

Another good yak from hobie is the Hobie Revolution, although if you're a taller guy you might want the adventure.

If you want a paddle yak, can't really go past the Prowlers, but I'm in favour of the pedals these days:)

Dunks
20-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Dont forget the Fibreglass yaks. They kick arse for cutting through the shore swell

They are the Stealth superlites and Erics Canoes. These are imported from South Africa where they are the favoured yak for offshore fishing.

Just like the one in the link a few topics down with the guy launching through the surf

TimiBoy
21-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Try a Kaskazi Dorado, fibreglass, also from South Africa. Go and see Kayak Warehouse in Kawana or Noosa.

Kaskazi.com.au

Bubba Gump
21-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Have to agree with Danimoth, I have a Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 and the extra length makes it great for offshore work. If you are looking for a really steady vessel have a look at the Malibu X-Factor.

TJ Bear
21-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the replies does anybody know if Cobra Kayaks from the US are available in Australia as I like the look of there expedition.

Pete62
22-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi mate, I have just read the Autumn 2008 edition of "Sport Fishing" and it has a 77page feature on Yak fishing, might be of help, also has a DVD of mad yanks cathing Thresher sharks, one of the idiots ends up with a Rapala treble in his chin, funny as. Pete62.

Rookie
22-05-2008, 03:51 PM
hi, TJ bear i have a perception swing in my shed all set up for offshore i used it a bit off rainbow beach but i have a polycraft now so i use it if ur intrested in the swing i could do u a good deal on mine as it only takes up room in my shed.

TJ Bear
22-05-2008, 05:20 PM
I think I have decided om the Hobie Mirage Adventure.

TJ Bear
24-05-2008, 04:26 PM
The fully kitted out Hobie adventure fish with all the options Im after is going to cost about 5k but looks like the kayak that will best suit my needs I have listed the options below, Im guessing I should be able to get a 10% discount for cash.

Brand/Model

Hobie Adventure – Ivory 2370

Accessories
Mirage Sail Kit – Yellow/Silver 370
Life Vest – Adult 89
Life Vest – Child (50-90lb) 59
Mirage Dodger – Silver 155
Sidekick Stability Kit – Light Grey 259
Hobie Trax Cart 159
Hobie Live Well 420
Navigation Kit 445
Safety Package 165
4 x Hobie Rod Leashes 156
2 x Hobie Gear Keepers 68
Anchor Kit 65
Hobie Drift Chute 45
Lowrance Fish Finder Package 335
2 x Rod Holder Extensions 50
2 x Ram Long Rod Holders 190

Total $5400

johnlikes2fish
28-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi Mate Glad To Hear You Are Joining The Fishing Elite, I Would Not Buy A Kayak Before You Try One Full Stop, Also I Would Not Buy Any Accessorie Until You Have Fished For A While And Work Out What You Need, Also You Could Make 4 Rod Leashes For $50 Anchor Setup $30 Maximum Etc Etc, Go And Have A Look At Akff Or Kfdu And Speak To People Who Fish Everyday Frm A Yak You Will Save A Fortune And Only Get The Bits You Need A Lot Of The Stuff You Have Mentioned Will Sit Unused In Your Shed, Things Like Pfd's Are Vital For Safety And Comfort Shop Around And Get One That Is Suitable For Fishing Most Kayak Fishos Will Let You Have A Paddle Or Pedal To See What Suits You Dont Spend Any Money Before You Thoroughly Research Or You Wont Enjoy The Sport

jaredluke
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
The profish has been getting very good reviews lately about its speed, versatility and offshore capability. It all depends on your personal prefrence, if you want to paddle then go with the profish but if you didn't want to paddle looking into the Hobie kayaks with the mirage drive would be worthwhile. Check out www.akff.net/forum it has lots of reviews about kayaks, ask some of the memebers who own these kayaks what they think about each of their kayaks. While I remember another couple of kayaks that would be worthwhile looking at are the Perception Swings and the prowler's. Both of these kayaks are extemely popular and both are designed for the offshore fisho in mind. The 'face' of kayak fishing billybob who owns http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au, fishes out of a fully customised swing and catches massive 20kg spanish mackeral out from Noosa. He also has to enter and re-enter throughout a surf zone. If you live close to noosa check out that website and you can purchase a fully pimped swing for about $2000, the only thing it dosen't come with is a Fish Finder. The prowler's are extremely popular as well, you can purchase them from BCF from 1500 - 1850. The good thing about the prolwer's are that you can purchase accessories for the prowler ie. Fish Finder and you do not need to drill anyholes to install it and the scupper hole has a section where the transducer goes. The FF must be a Humminbird for this to work though and a certain type of transducer but you can log onto the Ocean akayaks website for a list of compatable FF. There is a whole list of other accessories for the prowler's, to install, the kayak already has metal inserts that are threaded so when you buy the accessory you just screw it into the accessory mount. Another main thing to look at when purchasing a kayak is the storage capacity and underneath storage. If you are enetering and re-entering through a surf zone than you want your fidhing reels and rods stored because if they get a good dunking which is what happens when enetring through the surf zone than the reels will stuff up.

Brett1907
07-06-2008, 08:16 AM
If you have been looking at Hobies, don't forget about the Quest. It is a Paddle type kayak so a lot of people who look at Hobies don't even realise they make one without the 'Mirage Drive'. It is at the least as good as a Prowler 13 (which I almost bought), but much better value for money. For about the same price you get a better seat (higher back and more padding with a little pack on it), 8" hatch between your legs with a small tackle box in it, larges front hatch, Dry Bag, scupper plugs, paddle. Also, the rudder system is cheaper than the Prowler, so is the anchor trolley system.

johnlikes to fish is right, check out akff (Australian Kayak Fishing Forum) as there is heaps of info on there, I'm 'Lately Lux' over there. just ask Lucky Phil and Poodroo where that nick name comes from.

Good Luck

Brett

Lucky_Phill
09-06-2008, 06:01 PM
lol Brett... thought you'd disapeared !!!!

Mr Ausfish has bought a Hobbie and passed on info for me.

I have not committed yet, but it has come down to the Viking or the Hobie.

I think johnlikestofish is also on the money, get ya backside in a yak, and then figure out what accessories you need. There is always a little satisfaction in fitting out a boat / yak yourself.

Also, as Hobie are a sponsor of this forum there is a opportunity there. ;)

Cheers Phill

Brett1907
09-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi Phill, I'm still around. Just haven't had all that much time to spend posting on the net. Between this site (My first and only love :-* ), newhilux.net and the AKFF; what with pork and all that it gets a bit tight. I've just started getting back into checking out the forums so will have to catch up a bit.

I'm really happy with the Hobie Quest, I had Craig at Adventure Outlet on the coast fit a second seat behind mine so Paige could come out with me. Took it out with her for the first time a few weeks ago at Palm Beach, was only really snall swell and breakers so was a safe bet. Didn't have the rods with me, wanted to limit the chances of her getting hurt. All she could ask me is can we bring the fishing rods next time dad? I can see the fish!!! :o

I also bought the 'nightwatchman' a Venus 11 in, you guessed it, PINK ;D . Paige loves it and Donna thinks it looks pretty cool. She hasn't been out on it yet as she is trainging to do the half marathon (21km :o ) next month and is working on her running... obviously ::) .

Back to the topic. TJ Bear, all I have fitted so far to my 'yak is the rudder system (Craig did most of the work, I drilled a couple of holes and held things) and a Scotty rod holder up in front of me. I've bought the anchor trolley and will fit that when I get a bit of free time. I am building in under the house, and work is busy so have to get a bit lucky to do that. I'm going to make a crate up for the back, and make up a bracket to attach the red flag to the back. Also have plans for a 360 degree light for night paddles, and have put a Lowrance x67c or Eagle 300c on the Christmas List.

Good luck with your choice, and I'm sure you will love whatever you get.

Brett ;D

Gigantor
11-06-2008, 05:01 PM
TJ,

I've got 2 Hobies (Outback + Adventure) and they are a great fishing platform. You won't be disappointed. In the event you want to go for something else down the way, the Hobie's hold their price and are generally easy to sell.

Cheers,

Pete

JRJR
11-06-2008, 08:43 PM
The Prowler Elite is an awesome Kayak. Ideal for offshore fishing and chasing those monster Pelagics! :)

TJ Bear
11-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Placed my order today with Craig. Hobie Adventure fish in ivory with 2 Rod Extension tubes, Ram rod Holder,ST Fins, live bait tank, Lowrance sounder, Anchor Trolley, Safety flag, silver dodger, drift anchor and shark shield. Still have to sought out GPS. Intend to hit the reefs around Palmy, and Northern NSW asap.:D

JRJR
12-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Nice one. I might bump into you as I fish Palmy every now and then.

JACK_O
22-09-2008, 09:25 PM
oi guys have you blokes seen the Malibu X13 , gunna get myself and the missus one each and leave the kids at home http://img29.picoodle.com/data/img29/3/9/22/f_malibukayakm_3ca4003.jpg

fishsmith
25-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I also have a sweetspot for the Malibu X13..Love the new Gator hatch and the wet/dry well thats underneath....

kingfish101
28-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Wow, never knew you could do "offshore" fishing in a Kayak!
Someone care to explain how in the living hell you manage to get past the bar? and or how far you go out?
Btw to TJ Bear, I have no clue on Kayak fishing, but what you've bought, from what I've read, seems really good! Well done

DavShmav
04-10-2008, 07:49 PM
another good offshore kayak and definately value for money is the Extreme Kayak's Outlaw. Comes with all the features as well as option to attach a second seat in the front tank well. Is locally made(in Caboolture) which is good for any warranty reasons and is only $1400. Check it out on www.extremewatersports.com.au/kayaks.htm#outlaw (http://www.extremewatersports.com.au/kayaks.htm#outlaw) ;D

http://www.extremewatersports.com.au/products/outlaw-01.jpg

Albee_Mangles
20-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Mate go the Adventure, you will never look back. I've had one for over 6 months, and fish 2-3 times EVERY week. It's been faultless for me for all conditions, and we get out in some rough weather, and outperforms nearly every other yak on the water in all conditions. Especially when it gets rough. Feel free to PM me for any info you may be curious about for the Adventure, and i would be happy to respond.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m134/shufoy/IMGP0639.jpg

Cheers

Brett Ozanne

Western Angler
Kayak Fishing West Australia

JRJR
25-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Wow, never knew you could do "offshore" fishing in a Kayak!
Someone care to explain how in the living hell you manage to get past the bar? and or how far you go out?
Btw to TJ Bear, I have no clue on Kayak fishing, but what you've bought, from what I've read, seems really good! Well done

Past the Bar!?? That's doing it the easy way.

Myself and others way more experienced than myself launch straight off the beach. Sure, we get flipped on occasions (getting out and coming back) but that's all a part of the adventure. May I add, getting out is easier than coming back I reckon.

The furtherest out off the Gold Coast I have been is aprox. 3km (so says the GPS) and I remember the sounder reading about 110' of water under me.

The furtherest off shore I have been up Northern QLD is 7km but Hinchinbrook island was always about 3km from me and there were always boats within 1km of me.

Malice
16-12-2008, 12:55 PM
This is all opinion and your best to try out a couples of mates models before deciding.

For me its hands down the VIking Pro Fish. The well in front of you makes so much difference in my opinion. Good for bait or gear without having the reach around behind yourself.

However the Hobies do seem to get around a bit quicker and thus cover more ground.

Its Pro Fish for me followed by Hobie.

Cheers.

JACK_O
19-12-2008, 09:09 PM
oi guys have you blokes seen the Malibu X13 , gunna get myself and the missus one each and leave the kids at home http://img29.picoodle.com/data/img29/3/9/22/f_malibukayakm_3ca4003.jpg

damn i was gunna but my mate giggles at river city marine changed my mind on price and such and i bought a bloody ocean kayak prowler elite 4.5 and he was right cheers mate i'd buy you a beer but you've turned strange on me ...cheer jacko