PDA

View Full Version : STACER SVS or normal

johnny roger
20-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi,
can anyone tell me the major difference between the stacer svs and the normal stacer? i am talking about the 469 sunmaster. the only real difference i can see is that the bench seat seems to be higher on the svs, making the back rest a bum rest!
the other things that i can make out are just a half dozen cosmatic things. so where does the extra money come into it?
has anyone had or have either one of these models?
John

Seahorse
20-05-2008, 05:15 PM
i got 489 svs. its got level flotation, padded interior sides, different seats, 107lt fuel tank compared to 70lt, esky in floor, (think that was an extra). carpeted bench behind rear seat.
I thought it worth it to pay the extra. Cant actually remember what the dollar value was in difference.
Where u looking at?
i got mine from nitro marine at southport.
I like northside marine but they just wouldnt do the price.
Love my stacer.
How much they want for 469 outfit?

Greg

johnny roger
20-05-2008, 06:13 PM
i have ordered the 469 SVS and have included a ski pole and sounder. the lot came to around 26, but got a 2700 trade on the old stessl. so the lot came to 23K. on the water.
John

Seahorse
20-05-2008, 07:59 PM
hope u have lots fun in it. what motor u put on it

greg

Lizard King
20-05-2008, 08:14 PM
John

I have a 2006 469 sunmaster (not SVS) with a Merc. 2 stroke 60 and cant really fault it.

What engine did you run with?

One issue i had (which they may have rectified on the newer models) was the position of the transducer plate in relation to the ribs on the bottom of the boat. Essentially the plate is directly behind a rib which in turn causes turbulance around the transducer...

You may want to check the positon on your new boat...

Cheers
Graham

johnny roger
20-05-2008, 08:23 PM
hope u have lots fun in it. what motor u put on it

greg
hey greg,
i went for the 60 HP mercury 2 stroke. they say it has the tourque down low for pulling the toys etc.
John

johnny roger
20-05-2008, 08:29 PM
John

I have a 2006 469 sunmaster (not SVS) with a Merc. 2 stroke 60 and cant really fault it.

What engine did you run with?

One issue i had (which they may have rectified on the newer models) was the position of the transducer plate in relation to the ribs on the bottom of the boat. Essentially the plate is directly behind a rib which in turn causes turbulance around the transducer...

You may want to check the positon on your new boat...

Cheers
Graham

thanks for that Graham. i went for the 60 HP merc 2 stroke. i told the fella that i was going to be pulling a few toys around with the kids, and he recommended this motor.
do you know anyone that has the SVS?
John

KGW3
23-05-2008, 08:11 AM
I had a 460 Sunmaster (Ready to go), but sold it after 2 years partly due to some deisgn faults that really were not thought out when Telwater designed these boats. The steering wheel/ seat position was all wrong for a 180cm person. You sit down and can't see through the Windscreen/Bowrail setup. The canopy was unusabe unless you unzip the middle part. If you stand up to drive, the steering wheel is down near your knees. Had to fit and aftermarket transducer deflector (from Northside marine) to stop the spray all over the motor (and trim button)
The thick transom/pod and sides really only encourge corrosion and make it very difficult for people to get in the boat (As there are few pontioons in QLD.) The steering was very heavy (mechanic said it was normal). The stacer (Dunbier) trailers are very dissapointing with the jockey wheel handle snapping, plastic guides popping rivets and rust starting to form on the "Galvanised" surfaces after 1 year and 5 hrs use. I think these "Packages" are very over priced for what you get and I would not buy another new boat. Would opt for a secondhand unpainted Centre Console with a better trailer. Lucky I didn't lose too much $ selling it. There has been one of these on Boatpoint for 3 mths ($16k) and it has still not sold. They have added a transom door, and a better Bimini type canopy now, but the price has gone up a lot.
Having said all that, I have never had any problems with the ELPTO Merc though. They seem pretty bulletproof.

johnny roger
23-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Sorry to hear of your bad experience KG. I see that that '08 models have a drop down in the front deck, just forward of the skipper seats. i guess that would be better for steering while standing up so the wheel wouldn't be so high.
how did you find the back seat? I have asked telwater to lower the seat a bit so the back rest actually gets useed as a back rest. from what i see in the pics, the back rest would only act as a bumrest, as the seat is a bit high.
but i like the idea of the side holders on the svs compared with the normal sunmaster. they look much more usable as they run the full length, and not hindered by a small opening covered in padding as in the normal sunmaster.
anyway, when i take delivery of my stacer i hope that all will be good. :)

KGW3
23-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Don't get me wrong.. The Stacer was a good boat if you like Aluminuim runabouts. I don't think Telwater have done much Ergonomic research. If you have a partner who is normal "Female" height, she will struggle to get the seat in a position where she can control the boat.

johnny roger
23-05-2008, 02:15 PM
KG,
do you know anyone that has a 2008 sunmaster SVS?
John

KGW3
23-05-2008, 02:31 PM
John

Don't know any owners.. But you may need to increase the 40hp ELPTO as I had a 50 and the boat could have used a bit more "hole shot" power when loaded with people. I just don't see $23k in them. I bought mine new in 2005 for just uner $21k and got $18k back (with 6 mths warranty still on it and low hrs) That's a lot better than a car, but I think I was very lucky.

johnny roger
23-05-2008, 02:37 PM
John

Don't know any owners.. But you may need to increase the 40hp ELPTO as I had a 50 and the boat could have used a bit more "hole shot" power when loaded with people. I just don't see $23k in them. I bought mine new in 2005 for just uner $21k and got $18k back (with 6 mths warranty still on it and low hrs) That's a lot better than a car, but I think I was very lucky.
KG,
the sunmaster i ordered will come with a 60 HP. So should have some get up and go. you seem to have got a good price on your old stacer mate. i guess they hold their value eh?
John

Seahorse
24-05-2008, 07:19 AM
john.
i think u will love it. as i said before i got 489, bought new in 8/06.
i have no trouble steering, as i always stand and iam 6ft.
i also put 6ft canopy on it, which allows me to do that
i do agree about sitting down and steering. i think another 6 inches higher in seat would be good.
yes mine also has drop down in floor in front of seat.
with regard to back seat, i took mine out and bought 2 x 45lt eskies, which are same hight as seat and had good clip on cushions made and they are great.
they take up no more room than seat and can move them around and mrs can even put them together and use as bed up her side of boat and i got rest of boat to fish.
definately worth considering.
i got walk down middle type trailer. excellent.
iam thinking of selling mine to buy half cab. should be pretty easy to get rid of.

anyway john, enjoy.

cheers
greg
i use 1 esky for food and other for fish and bait.
i think tramsom area is great. biggest ive seen and i walk from side to side no worries.

wags on the water
24-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Sorry to hear of your bad experience KG. I see that that '08 models have a drop down in the front deck, just forward of the skipper seats. i guess that would be better for steering while standing up so the wheel wouldn't be so high.
how did you find the back seat? I have asked telwater to lower the seat a bit so the back rest actually gets useed as a back rest. from what i see in the pics, the back rest would only act as a bumrest, as the seat is a bit high.
but i like the idea of the side holders on the svs compared with the normal sunmaster. they look much more usable as they run the full length, and not hindered by a small opening covered in padding as in the normal sunmaster.
anyway, when i take delivery of my stacer i hope that all will be good. :)

I'll be very suprised if you get any sense out of this company. And heaven forbid if you ever require any work done under warranty. Be very aware of any signs of corrosion (bubbling paint), take many photos and document it as well. I think you'll be impressed with how it handles on the water just be very aware with everything else.
Good luck with you purchase and hope you have a lot of good times in it.

Wags

johnny roger
24-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Greg,
thanks for that mate. i like the idea of the eskys. i'll see how my seat comes out. i asked them to lower it to make the back rest more user freindly. it seems that the SVS and the normal sunmaster have a difference in back rest/seat configuration. the back rest on the SVS is way to low,or the seat is way to high making the back rest more of an bum rest than a back rest.
i think your idea of getting a half would be good as you mentioned that your missus has a rest while you fish. resting in the half cab would be much more comfortable than resting on 2 eskys.
John

KGW3
27-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes... Bubbling paint that starts appearing after 2 years on the area where the fuel cap is and all along the welds. my boat saw little use but was always gararged and covered. Maybe this was a bad practice as it may have slowed the drying process.