PDA

View Full Version : How can I wind back an hourmeter?

Reel Nauti
19-05-2008, 04:10 PM
There may be no way this can be done, I don't know, but I thought someone in the game might know. I'm about to buy a second hand hour meter for my yammie and the meter has a few hundred hours on it. My motor has only just done 10hrs so I was wondering how, if possible, to wind the meter back to start from 10. It's not LED.

If anyone know's but doesn't want it public knowledge could you pm me please?

Many thanks

Dave

TimiBoy
19-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I bet there's a few in the second hand boat industry that'll know;D;D;D

Might be a dumb one, but can it be wound forward until it's clocked? Maybe run the engine for 100,000 hours until... shutup Shutup SHUTUP!!!

Reel Nauti
19-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah thanks Tim! Did think about winding it forward to 1000 but I don't think I'd be able to convince a dealer or a buyer somewhere in the future of what I did!

I saw a bloke do it to a car years ago with an electric drill but I'm not exactly sure what he did.

Someone would know.................anyone?

HIGH and DRY
19-05-2008, 04:55 PM
yeah, the electric drill is possible, but after seeing my mates drill catch fire from running flatout in reverse for 7hours, all for about 10 000km was pretty funny! all he did was tightened the chuck around the plastic spindle that connects to the rest of a cable speedo, coming from behind the cluster.

i found getting into the face of the gauge and manually rotating the numbers with a tiny screwdrive often did the trick, just make sure all the numbers are aligned for that authentic look!;)

this reminds me of a story of a mate who turned the accesories on his dads ski boat to get a cd out, then forgot to turn off. the boat was not used for quite some time and but the time the battery ran dead it had accumulated an extra 300 odd hours!!! needles to say, my mates dad was not real impressed he had 400 hours on his near new 200 merc!!:D :D

pete

Outsider1
19-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Dave,

as far as I am aware an hour meter is an electronic clock, not a mechanically driven one, so you can't actually wind them back or forward (unless you leave your ignition on and let it tick over).

Here are a few previous threads that touch on the issue;

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=107678&highlight=hour+meter

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=127362&highlight=hour+meter

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=70110&highlight=hour+meter

Cheers

Dave

lethal098
19-05-2008, 05:11 PM
for the price of a new hour meter about $80 last i checked is it worth the hassle?

Vindicator
19-05-2008, 05:38 PM
I think your member name suits the job you are trying to do!

Cheers
Kezza

Fish Guts
19-05-2008, 05:52 PM
a good reason not to trust hour meters. thank god for ecu's

rat_catcher
19-05-2008, 06:08 PM
a good reason not to trust hour meters. thank god for ecu's
Although they can be changed too!

Reel Nauti
19-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm not trying to be dishonest with this. I've picked up the hour meter for a real bargain as I can't get approval from the minister for war and finance to spend approx $120 to buy a new one. I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to set it back to 10, if someone knew some trick to it. If it can't be done, I'll install it as is and have a JP witness the reading at the time of installation (maybe a simple signed letter).

Cheers and thanks for the replies so far

Dave

BM
19-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Dave,

How much are you paying for the meter cos Golden Seal marine here in Vic have some gauges they found in a box upstairs (all new), tachos, speedos, hr meters, fuel etc etc and they are about 20 or 30 bucks. Might pay to ring them and have a new one posted to you.

(03) 8587 0600

And as mentioned by Outsider1 they are simly a clock and cannot be altered (unless you connect it to a battery and leave it on).

Cheers

Reel Nauti
19-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks BM, I'm sure they'll be inundated tomorrow with calls! I was very fortunate to have a fellow Ausfisher on the lookout for me, and managed to find a set ( t&t, fuel, and hour meter) all second hand but all yammie, for $20.00 + $10 postage. I don't need the t&t nor the fuel guage as I sit on the tiller and fuel tanks are next to me. I'm committed to buy them, and I will honour that. But I might give your guys a call tomorrow as well.

Many thanks

Dave

darkside
19-05-2008, 07:04 PM
If it's like a clock , can't you just hook the new meter up to a battery with the polarity reversed. You would assume being driven by an electric motor it would run backwards. ???? Finga would know the reason for and against !!

TheRealAndy
19-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Anything can be hacked ;D you just need the time!!! Is it digital or one of those old ones with the mechanical meter?

trueblue
19-05-2008, 09:43 PM
you just need the time!!!

He don't need the time........... He wants to get rid of the time!!!;D

Noelm
20-05-2008, 10:19 AM
OK, here goes, if it is Electronic (probably not) you will just blow it up by connectiong it reverse polarity, if it is Electro/Mechanical, it has a built in "ratchet" so reverse runs, but does not wind back the numbers, a power drill will be useless, as it works by Electricity, not a cable, only option is pull it to bit and risk buggering it up altogether, or connect it up to a 12V source, come back in a few years and all will be Zero's, but you will need to keep an eye on it, would just hate to have it go over 000 huh! or last but not least, buy a new one, I have a couple that have over 2,000 hours on them you can have for free, at least they are closer to "clocking over".