PDA

View Full Version : Driving Cats

Pinguu
19-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi All,

I am in the process of finalising a purchse of a 6.2m Kevlacat Pro Sport which I took out for the day on Saturday. I realised how much of a novice at driving these vessels I really am and would appreciate any tips from all of you experienced Cat skippers out there.

I really was unsure on how to best trim the motors and found with out having the Starboard higher than the port engine it had continuous body roll from port to starboard.

Is there a real risk of rolling them , as they lean outwards quite offensively in any turning scenario. I feel certain this must not actually be the case and is just a matter of building confidence through logging hours at the helm.

Any help would be appreciated.

snelly1971
19-05-2008, 05:30 PM
I am looking froward in seeing the replys in here from the so called experts

Mick

Blackened
19-05-2008, 06:08 PM
G'day

Both Grand_Marlin and Noel are 2 of the most knowledgeable cat skippers here.

Best off asking someone with real experience to come for a run with you for some hands on teaching

Dave

mirage
19-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Pinguu, I'm by no means a cat expert but I've been in friends Kevlacats (5.2's) for a couple of years now and have had my own 2400 (6.5m) for over 6 months now. I've never been in a 6.2 but I wouldn't be too worried abot rolling it. Yes Cats have some different characteristics but that's all it is, different. You just have to be aware of it and drive it accordingly. From what I've seen you'd have to try very hard to roll a KC.

KC's don't like being turned quickly like a wakeboarder, you'll get to know it's limits, but you're not going wakeboarding right? You're going fishing so point and drive it flat out and enjoy the ride.

Cats or KC's at least trim in the opposite sense. So if you want to bring the right bow up trim as if you are trying to bring the left bow up. Takes a few trips to think about it.

It's just a learning, confidence thing. Enjoy. As Blackened says there are some very experienced Cat drivers here, so specific questions, ask away.
Scotty.

Dean1
19-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Mate the dominators dont lean outwards offensively at all, hence why they dominate so much.

Push them hard and fast is my tip. Yeah dominators lean the other way alright, they lean inwards so much that they go belly up :o

PLAY HARD
19-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Great post. As a relitivly new owner to a 7.2 sailfish cat i am looking forward to to some constructive information from experienced cat owners, not the regular BS from non cat owners.

Koola Kat

hungry6
19-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I give the outside motor abit more berries and that should balance things out abit, but if you're learning, why push a boat if you're not sure.
I'm no cat expert, I steer a noosacat at time and if you like I can come along next time or you can join us and see how NOT to do it..
I've been out with a few diffrent cat owners and some drive them hard and som just pussy foot around and some are just plain lazy and let the boat boat sort it self out and dont push the envelope. I fit in the 3rd catagory.

Noelm
20-05-2008, 09:12 AM
one thing to remember with Kevlacats (and a lot will not like this) and a few other Brands as well, is the simple fact that they tend to sort of roll/rock back and forth sideways, some call it "chinewalking" it is not dangerous or anything else, not even too sure why it happens, but it does, and, you will never stop that happening, next comes probably the most important aspect of Cat performance TRIM, trim needs to be right to get the best out of a Cat, you will need to fiddle about a bit at first in various conditions to get the feel of how your particular Boat behaves, two similar Boats with different HP engines can be very different to drive, in most conditions if you are just "cruising" to or from a distant fishing spot, then you can just sit back and enjoy the ride if you like, but given adequate Power, most Cats will see you fly by a flotilla of Plate Tinnies and Glass Boats in choppy conditions, remember if it is really bad, then caution and judgement will come into play, if it is blowing 40knots, 3 metre swell, then it is foolish to try to race anyone anywhere, BUT when it is just "choppy" then there will be few Monos that will keep up with a Cat and keep the occupants happy and healthy. Now lets also get this straight, Cats have a few "Features" that are less than desirable, but the positives out weigh the negatives by 10:1, I reckon.

Getout
20-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I used to drive a 6.? Kevlacat a bit in offshore conditions for a sailing club. We used to go out when the fishos were all coming in. We quickly learnt that we had to use maximum trim out, on the motors going upwind or downwind. Not a bad ride but you had to give it the stick.
Also drove a badly built (overweight) Shark Cat 23 and it was crap in any kind of seaway. Too much slamming. It used to spit a huge cloud of spray out the tunnel that you constantly drove into = VERY WET!!

Spaniard_King
20-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Mate the dominators dont lean outwards offensively at all, hence why they dominate so much.

Push them hard and fast is my tip.

Spent 4hrs in a new model 4.9m dominator today to run the engines in.... The bigger cats would want to perform a whole lot better than this size:o

The boat needed to be running at the least 20 knots to perform::)

Was good at full noise but I would rather be in a mono of that size for Bar crossings.

I dunno think that statement small unit is exactly true. very un nerving is the 4.9 on hard turns.. and it leant out freakishly:o

boatboy50
20-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Hey Pinguu,

Good to see you in a cat.

Driving one is a learnt skill, not something that can be put into 100 words.

Spend some hours aboard, play with the trim, don't be afraid by the weather (within reason), and don't make excuses not to use it.

Don't be afraid to drive it hard to get the best from it. Work the wheel and the throttles, and adjust your running angles at all times.

A Kevlacat will never roll just simply during a turn. It would need a breaking wave and a mishap at the wheel to make it roll. Throw it around like there is no tomorrow!

Best of luck. Enjoy the boat.

Regards

Darren

John Buoy
20-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Another tip from me is that the key to driving cats is your "Ears"
Apart from as mentioned they love positive trim, the sound coming from behind
you whilst underway in a well balanced boat is the hum of the motors.
Iresspective of what the tachos are telling you when both motors are running true to each other they will hum in unison, sometimes this achieved with
one bank actually revving higher than the other by 200 rpms.
Trial and error is going to iron out any bugs you have.

Good luck with your new rig. Great choice.

Regards Frank

Fish Guts
20-05-2008, 07:28 PM
another tip is to not go straight into a head sea. hit it at 10 degrees either side of it.

cheers

fish guts

Pinguu
20-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your input regarding driving a Cat, cedrtainly some useful tips amongst that lot. I can see as I first suspected I need to just get outhere and do it, so thats what intend to do.

Ive only been a boatie for 12 months but have loved it so far, have put 140hours on my little 17ft Yalta, will probably outdo that given less restriction due to weather in the KC over the next 12.

Keep your comments coming.

Noelm
21-05-2008, 10:26 AM
geees that was a bit of a step for a 12 month Boatie, into a 6.2 Kcat, lots of differences to think about, like how big the thing is on a trailer and on the road, plus storage at home, driving on/off the Trailer, two Motors, but that's not to say it is difficult, and indeed some of these things are easier, BUT they are different (as you have found out)

business class
21-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I am defenately no cat expert but what i have seen and hurd of them, the best advice i can give you for driving a cat, is to drive it straight back to where you bought it, and go buy the 6.6 hydrofield.:P :P :P :P

Cheers matty

Noelm
21-05-2008, 11:53 AM
ohohoho that's a funny one! nearly split my sides laughing at that little attempt at jest!

business class
21-05-2008, 12:01 PM
ohohoho that's a funny one! nearly split my sides laughing at that little attempt at jest!

come on noelm i thought being a cat owner you would be used to splitting sides. :P ;D

Noelm
21-05-2008, 12:59 PM
hehe, it just gets funnier and funnier, all you tri guys (or should that be bi guys?) must have hit your heads during the rough ride or something!

business class
21-05-2008, 01:28 PM
hehe, it just gets funnier and funnier, all you tri guys (or should that be bi guys?) must have hit your heads during the rough ride or something!

;D come on noelm no need to be like that, are you upset because they are now making every cat owner go do swimming courses so when you guys roll over (with that great ride you have::) ) use can increase your chances of making it back to land.:P

Noelm
21-05-2008, 01:31 PM
it has been a bit of a chore getting back to shore, with a big Tri in tow and a Boat load of extra passengers, but we are tough and get used to it after a dozen or so times.

business class
21-05-2008, 01:46 PM
don't you mean it is just a chore getting into shore unturned full stop. just think at least if your towing a stable boat your ride might not be so bad. so there is a positive to every story.

Noelm
21-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I was always taught that "two's company, three's a crowd" so why would you need three hulls? and never a truer word was spoken.

business class
21-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I was always taught that "two's company, three's a crowd" so why would you need three hulls? and never a truer word was spoken.

i think it just depended on the type you were taking out. I would have to say i would prefer the three wouldn't you;) . Don't worry noelm we have all made mistakes in our lives and yes yours being you have a cat might be worse then others, but we will not hold it against you.:P you know there is still time to get that dream you have been chasing;D you just need to take that first step and trust me after that when you jump into the hydro its all smooth sailing.;D

goblues
21-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Business class must be the ride you get in a hydro, hence the " members name",but in a cat its first class all the way.

Fatenhappy
21-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey Pinguu ...

Mind me asking what sizes O/Bs your running?

And Franks comments are spot on ... forget the guages listen to the engines ... when they are in unison there will be a constant steady drone, not an alternating humming sound ...

Cheers
Greg

Fish Guts
21-05-2008, 05:53 PM
music to the ears.

Dean1
21-05-2008, 08:19 PM
i think it just depended on the type you were taking out. I would have to say i would prefer the three wouldn't you;) . Don't worry noelm we have all made mistakes in our lives and yes yours being you have a cat might be worse then others, but we will not hold it against you.:P you know there is still time to get that dream you have been chasing;D you just need to take that first step and trust me after that when you jump into the hydro its all smooth sailing.;D Why put an unnessacary hull in the middle of two and end up with a not so good ride as a cat?? A mate of mine just paid 120k for a 6.7 trihull and came out in my 5.2 kc and couldnt believe that it rides better than his trihull. He is dissapointed in his trihull now and wishes he bought a cat. Trihulls are alright up a certain speed when she's rough but whip the speed up and a cat will eat them up fact. I havent been in a trihull but this summed it up for me. Enjoy your tri chief ;)

Fish Guts
21-05-2008, 08:29 PM
i think the best application for tri hulls are house boats !

John Buoy
22-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Would be nice to stick to the topic guys.!!!

Maybe another thread of Hydro's V's Cats

Frank

John Buoy
22-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Hey Pinguu ...

Mind me asking what sizes O/Bs your running?

And Franks comments are spot on ... forget the guages listen to the engines ... when they are in unison there will be a constant steady drone, not an alternating humming sound ...

Cheers
Greg

Thanks Greg couldn't think of the words to describe the unison
but your comments have nailed it in one ;)

snelly1971
22-05-2008, 11:36 AM
i think the best application for tri hulls are house boats !

Well maybe all the so called big mouth Cat owners should Bring there boats down here... That should sort a few of them out!!!!!!!!!!

Any boat is good on flat water............

Mick

snelly1971
22-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Why put an unnessacary hull in the middle of two and end up with a not so good ride as a cat?? A mate of mine just paid 120k for a 6.7 trihull and came out in my 5.2 kc and couldnt believe that it rides better than his trihull. He is dissapointed in his trihull now and wishes he bought a cat. Trihulls are alright up a certain speed when she's rough but whip the speed up and a cat will eat them up fact. I havent been in a trihull but this summed it up for me. Enjoy your tri chief ;)

You make me laugh Deano,;D;D;D

Tri hulls are alright up to a certain speed???? you Stated!!!!!!!!

But then you say you havent been in a Tri Hull:o:o:o

One Question Deano;);)

How many tri hulls have you heard of being flipped, or rolled:P:P

None

Just maybe the reason for this is

Too many inexperienced , big shot , Novice Cat owners/operators out there..

Mick

Noelm
22-05-2008, 12:59 PM
UH OH, I feel like popcorn!

snelly1971
22-05-2008, 01:09 PM
UH OH, I feel like popcorn!

I better Start a new post Noel,

Hope you will join In

Mick

business class
22-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Why put an unnessacary hull in the middle of two and end up with a not so good ride as a cat?? A mate of mine just paid 120k for a 6.7 trihull and came out in my 5.2 kc and couldnt believe that it rides better than his trihull. He is dissapointed in his trihull now and wishes he bought a cat. Trihulls are alright up a certain speed when she's rough but whip the speed up and a cat will eat them up fact. I havent been in a trihull but this summed it up for me. Enjoy your tri chief ;)

Ha ha ha ha this makes me laugh, you surely can't be talking about the hydro 6.6. cause no one is that silly to compare the 5.2kc to the 6.6:o especially when your talking about ride;D . What tri did he get for 120k????? Maybe your mate just felt sorry for you thats why he said that:P :P , but i guess thats what friends are for hey, to help us when we make mistakes.:P

Cheers
Matty

fly_1
22-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I know of atleast 2 hydrofields/trihulls being flipped over , and they were both driven by very experienced drivers...( many years pro fisherman, and rescue work....) etc !!!!And yes, I am a cat owner, have been around and operating cats for a longtime, but also have had alot to do with hydrofields,(family owned one for many years) and I would say they are both great boats/designs, but like everything, they both have their strengths, and weaknesses....
Trent

Dean1
24-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Ha ha ha ha this makes me laugh, you surely can't be talking about the hydro 6.6. cause no one is that silly to compare the 5.2kc to the 6.6:o especially when your talking about ride;D . What tri did he get for 120k????? Maybe your mate just felt sorry for you thats why he said that:P :P , but i guess thats what friends are for hey, to help us when we make mistakes.:P

Cheers
Matty Matty he bought a 6.7m allrounder. He's the one that paid more than double what i did and is unhappy :-/ Im stoked with my kc and he was very impressed with my ride. Just saying saying how it is bro ;)

Chimo
24-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Interesting comment on the allrounder. Friend has the bigger one and to be honest apart from the cabin size I was / am not very impressed with the ride. It seems to thump and thud into a head sea or anything at all like a head sea. Lot of money but.................

Cheers
Chimo

Fish Guts
24-05-2008, 05:10 PM
pretty sure the noosacat would hold up to the tri mate.

Dean1
24-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi All,

I am in the process of finalising a purchse of a 6.2m Kevlacat Pro Sport which I took out for the day on Saturday. I realised how much of a novice at driving these vessels I really am and would appreciate any tips from all of you experienced Cat skippers out there.

I really was unsure on how to best trim the motors and found with out having the Starboard higher than the port engine it had continuous body roll from port to starboard.

Is there a real risk of rolling them , as they lean outwards quite offensively in any turning scenario. I feel certain this must not actually be the case and is just a matter of building confidence through logging hours at the helm.

Any help would be appreciated. Hey mate sorry to go off topic here. How has the purchase gone? Did you secure it? As with trim does it have trim switches on the dash that you can individually trim each motor? These help HEAPS. What i do is get the boat leveled up roughly as im heading out the passage 1st. Once i get out in open waters i trim both the motors in or out to suit the conditions with the throttle control trim switch, then once youv got her riding nice you individually trim each motor to suit the conditions, as in wheres the swell coming from etc. If its digging in one side more than the other just a flick of the trim switch will even up the whole digging in feeling as in dig one side the same as the other, get them working for you. Say if a swell is coming across from the right pull your left motor in a touch so it cuts into that swell as it will try to pick the right side or starboard side up as the swell comes through and vise versa. You seem to be forever flicking trim switches the whole time but eventually you dont even realise your doing it! It just becomes habit! Once youv mastered it youl leave the mono boys for dead ;) The hardest is in a big following sea, dont hold back too much or youll never learn. Push it a bit harder each time and dont pull the throttles back too quickly if in doubt as youll lose all the momentem your after, as in the hull wont push thru the wave as theres no power to make it do so. Its a ball of fun learning and once youv mastered it youl feel like a king ;D . Good luck with it all hope this helps, Deano.

business class
28-05-2008, 01:17 PM
pretty sure the noosacat would hold up to the tri mate.

Yes the noosa cat might hold up to the tri but you need to compare size as well,

dear mr Dino:P i have not seen a allrounder so i can not comment on that, but i am sure your KC rides awesome and if it suits you then that is awesome, but like i said you can't compare a 6.6 Hydro (meaning Jaguar) to a 5.2 thats all, also i am yet to go for a ride in a KC but i look forward to it :-/ maybe:P
And Fly 1 i think you are the only person to hear of a Hydro rolling mate!;D and i would love to know how or what sort of truck hit it off the trailer:P :P

Cheers
MAtty

mirage
28-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Yes the noosa cat might hold up to the tri but you need to compare size as well,

dear mr Dino:P i have not seen a allrounder so i can not comment on that, but i am sure your KC rides awesome and if it suits you then that is awesome, but like i said you can't compare a 6.6 Hydro (meaning Jaguar) to a 5.2 thats all, also i am yet to go for a ride in a KC but i look forward to it :-/ maybe:P
And Fly 1 i think you are the only person to hear of a Hydro rolling mate!;D and i would love to know how or what sort of truck hit it off the trailer:P :P

Cheers
MAtty

Hi Matty,
I can tell you as absolute fact that Fly 1 was in one of the Hydro's that got flipped so he didn't just hear about it as you infer. And as he says he the drivers were very experienced. I'm not getting into a p1ssing contest about Tri's and Cats, I'm just clarifying fact.
Scotty.

Pinguu
29-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Just a quick update , I have finalised the purchase of the KC and have had it out on the water a few times since in mostly flat conditions, except for last Friday I took it out in 15 - 20 knots SE in Moreton Bay.

Left from Manly to head north to Bulwer on a making tide. All the way up with a following swell coming over my right shoulder , was not that fun really but handled it ok even with my inexperience at the helm.

On the way home, IVE NEVER HAD SO MUCH FUN IN MY LIFE.

We were heading into 1M of chop into the teeth of the SE breeze doing 25knots and the KC was just eating up, In fact the faster we went the more it liked it. Got quite a bit of air but landed softly every time, without the slamming I have experienced at 10 knots in a mono hull.

At least I know now I can get home in pretty much any conditions within reason, Looks like I'll never be able to go back to mono boys.

Cats 4 ever !!

mirage
29-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Glad you like it Pinguu.

Dean1
29-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Just a quick update , I have finalised the purchase of the KC and have had it out on the water a few times since in mostly flat conditions, except for last Friday I took it out in 15 - 20 knots SE in Moreton Bay.

Left from Manly to head north to Bulwer on a making tide. All the way up with a following swell coming over my right shoulder , was not that fun really but handled it ok even with my inexperience at the helm.

On the way home, IVE NEVER HAD SO MUCH FUN IN MY LIFE.

We were heading into 1M of chop into the teeth of the SE breeze doing 25knots and the KC was just eating up, In fact the faster we went the more it liked it. Got quite a bit of air but landed softly every time, without the slamming I have experienced at 10 knots in a mono hull.

At least I know now I can get home in pretty much any conditions within reason, Looks like I'll never be able to go back to mono boys.

Cats 4 ever !! Thats what cats are all about mate just aim and fire!!!!

finding_time
29-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Pingu

going from Bulwer to Manly with a Se wind blowning is about as good as it gets in a cat mate ;)( beam on is better still) That angle would really show off her abilitys!

Ian

Pinguu
29-05-2008, 08:11 PM
does "beam on" mean directly side on to the chop/swell ??

Mister
29-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Pinguu,

Not a lot of advice is there? Lots of smart a's and useless replies, house boats, small mouths, big mouths and popcorn eaters but nothing of any substance is there?

Tends to show there's not a lot here that know what they are talking about is there? Some rather silly and useless talk types

Dean1
29-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Hey mate sorry to go off topic here. How has the purchase gone? Did you secure it? As with trim does it have trim switches on the dash that you can individually trim each motor? These help HEAPS. What i do is get the boat leveled up roughly as im heading out the passage 1st. Once i get out in open waters i trim both the motors in or out to suit the conditions with the throttle control trim switch, then once youv got her riding nice you individually trim each motor to suit the conditions, as in wheres the swell coming from etc. If its digging in one side more than the other just a flick of the trim switch will even up the whole digging in feeling as in dig one side the same as the other, get them working for you. Say if a swell is coming across from the right pull your left motor in a touch so it cuts into that swell as it will try to pick the right side or starboard side up as the swell comes through and vise versa. You seem to be forever flicking trim switches the whole time but eventually you dont even realise your doing it! It just becomes habit! Once youv mastered it youl leave the mono boys for dead ;) The hardest is in a big following sea, dont hold back too much or youll never learn. Push it a bit harder each time and dont pull the throttles back too quickly if in doubt as youll lose all the momentem your after, as in the hull wont push thru the wave as theres no power to make it do so. Its a ball of fun learning and once youv mastered it youl feel like a king ;D . Good luck with it all hope this helps, Deano. What do you call this Mister >:(

finding_time
29-05-2008, 08:40 PM
does "beam on" mean directly side on to the chop/swell ??

Yep!

I just love it when it's beam on, it doesn't seem to matter how hard ( with in reason, nitpickers) the winds blowing if i'm beam on the throttles are on the dash and the ride is awesome!;D

Ian

Mister
29-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Dean, It's like a hay paddock full of weeds, lots of weeds very little charf but there is some chaf just gotto sort the weeds out.

business class
30-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Pinguu,

Not a lot of advice is there? Lots of smart a's and useless replies, house boats, small mouths, big mouths and popcorn eaters but nothing of any substance is there?

Tends to show there's not a lot here that know what they are talking about is there? Some rather silly and useless talk types

Don't worry minster, like you said mate no one says anything worth while because this is a really good post you put up::) very helpfull for Pinguu.::) nice to see you take your own advice.;)

Fish Guts
30-05-2008, 12:18 PM
mister,

give yourself an uppercut

business class
30-05-2008, 02:15 PM
mister,

give yourself an uppercut

And a left hook!!

Mister
30-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Don't worry minster, like you said mate no one says anything worth while because this is a really good post you put up::) very helpfull for Pinguu.::) nice to see you take your own advice.;)

I am defenately (sic) no cat expert but what i have seen and hurd (sic) of them, the best advice i can give you for driving a cat, is to drive it straight back to where you bought it, and go buy the 6.6 hydrofield.

You ain’t hurd much have ya? And you call that ADVICE?

i thought being a cat owner you would be used to splitting sides

yawn

because they are now making every cat owner go do swimming courses so when you guys roll over (with that great ride you have) use can increase your chances of making it back to land

Where did you say you got your ADVICE from? Do they offer refunds?

don't you mean it is just a chore getting into shore unturned full stop.

yawn

you just need to take that first step and trust me after that when you jump into the hydro its all smooth sailing

Trust you? Nothing you’ve said that’s can be trusted so far so no point starting now!

you surely can't be talking about the hydro 6.6. cause no one is that silly to compare the 5.2kc to the 6.6 especially when your talking about ride

Now you’re really showing a lacking. So it's all to do with SIZE, longer is not always better you know?

but like i said you can't compare a 6.6 Hydro (meaning Jaguar) to a 5.2 thats all

You have no idea do you? Tell me you have no idea, oh yeah forget that question you already have. But no you can't compare 6.6 hydro with a 5.2, the hydro would have to lift performance a hell of a lot.

i think you are the only person to hear of a Hydro rolling mate!

oh where oh where have you been hiding?

Gotcha mate :D 8-) your 9 useless posts beats my 2 hands down ;D well done

Fish Guts
30-05-2008, 05:33 PM
and your expert advice mister is.....???????????

Mister
31-05-2008, 09:31 AM
and your expert advice mister is.....???????????

Expert advice number 1 for today

Smart people call crap crap. Are you smart fish guts::)

Fish Guts
31-05-2008, 09:50 AM
you obviously didnt do a good enough job with that uppercut

Mister
31-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Anwer then is NO not smart

ok fish guts says vote 1 support the crap

fishing111
31-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Someone reminds me of Kerry?