PDA

View Full Version : Wide Bay Offshore

scrubba01
19-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Left Tincan at 730 pm and after a good 2 hour run to the shelf, playing with our newly installed QL trim tabs (which made a surprising difference to the softness of the ride). First drop and a Slatey Bream hit the deck of a couple of kilo, the current was raging and we were having trouble holding the bottom with big snapper leads. Next drift over the mark and a couple of Hussar were hooked which we quickly cut up into good-sized strip baits for Reds.
Even with the sea anchor out we were covering 1.5 klm a drift in about 10 min which meant we would only get one crack at them per drift. The fresh Hussar did the trick and a Red just over legal came to the boat, they continued coming at one and 2 fish a drift for the next hour or 2 until we had 8 reds all bar the first about 10 pound fish in the kill tank.
It was decided we would go in search of some shallower grounds and drop the pick for the night. Anchored up firm we tried one drop but with no chance of getting to the bottom called it a night (at 3am in the morning). Woke up at day break with the current even stronger than last night, tried pulling the pick but it must have found it's self a nice little hole to fall in, as we had a couple of goes and it wasn't coming out.

It was decided to head in closer to a couple of marks, which in the past have held good pearlies and mixed reef fish. As we motored over them not much was showing on the sounder and a couple of drops confirmed this with only a couple of small Tusk Fish added and a xos Hussar.

All in all a good trip even if the fishing was a bit slow and the fish a bit smaller than usual, the weather was good apart from a heavy down pour which soaked us on the way back in.
Didn't take any photos of these fish as by the time we got home cleaned the boat and the fish we were completely stuffed.

zulu
19-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Good report, welcome to ausfish.I also reside in Ippy and like to fish the wide bay area. What boat are you running?

Cheers Troy

scrubba01
20-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi Troy
It's a 6.8m Fisher centre cab "Awesome 1" currently running a 225 Yammy EFI 2 stroke but am just lookling at repowering with a suzy 4 stroke. The fuel prices have been really hurting but so does the change over price.
We might be able to do a trip together at some point in time, another mate has a 6.5 m platety and we go out a fair bit together but the more the merrier I say.

Do you get many Red Throat up there I haven't managed to find a good patch of them yet and I do love eating them. What is your rig?

nautical prince
20-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey Scrubba and zulu i am allso a keen offshore fisho from Ippie i have a 21 ft kevlacat offshore i normally head out to the nth eastern end of the barwons good to see some more keen Ippie guy's out there would be keen to catch up as well for a trip some time
Cheers Lance

Tassie JR
20-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey scrubba, sounds like you got a decent feed, Seen your boat the other day at the yard getting the trim tabs fitted they came up good hey.

cheers tassie JR

zulu
21-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Hi fellas,

My boat is a Yalta Odessa 615, upgraded motor last year to a Yammie 200 4 stroke [yes, it did hurt the hip pocket]. We prefer to fish the Wide Bay area, but with time constraints will often fish Wide Cal or Barwons. Please feel free to pm me [private message] if you have any queeries or planning an upcoming trip.

Cheers Troy

scrubba01
21-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey scrubba, sounds like you got a decent feed, Seen your boat the other day at the yard getting the trim tabs fitted they came up good hey.

cheers tassie JR

Trim Tabs came up great a lot of work putting them in as we had to get pipes welded in through the lateral strigers to maintain boyancy chambers, sent it into Col at Fisher Boats, best off getting the manufacturer to do it then we know it is done right.
There were 3 of us fishing and a mates 11 year old son so we got a couple of kgs of Red each which is always good. But the next morning was some of the slowest fishing I have done up that way. It must have been the change coming through which shut them down.