PDA

View Full Version : Inconsiderat Boaties

Local_Guy
19-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Saturday whilst trolling i was keeping my straight line. 2 elder gentlemen in a boat were downrigging to my port side headed straight for me or to cut me off... to avoid a direct collision i had to keep adjusting my line to starboard, but they kept coming. These guys were downrigging and i had my very deep diver out the back..

As they approached, they finally (in a matter of speaking) did the right thing and turned behind me, but so closely that i still don't know how their downrigger avoided my lure... I yelled out to them to stop, but they just looked at me and proceeded to continue on their very close course 10m off the stern of my boat.

Now i know i had right of way and these people who were both about 65yrs old in the boat LUNA4 clearly couldn't care for boating ettiquite... yeah, they might have had 50 years of boating under their belt but for goodness sakes, it's a big area slow down and follow the rules of the sea. One of the guys had a big santa like beard and no i won't forget your face if i see you again.

Sorry guys, i had to vent my frustration, has anyone else come across inconsiderate boaties like this.

johnny roger
19-05-2008, 02:54 PM
And rightly so lg. thank goodness there isn't as much 'boat rage' as there is 'road rage' when it comes OAP's on the road or on the water. they are out enjoying themselves as well....but...yes well enough said i think.
John:)

Chimo
19-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Maybe they just didn't see you?

You did say that they were elderly! probably neither got any sleep that night worrying about you; and going to the loo!

Cheers
Chimo

Local_Guy
19-05-2008, 04:27 PM
lol. nah they saw me alright. they had minutes to adjust course.. maybe your right... old drivers probably couldn't judge distance and speed.

HIGH and DRY
19-05-2008, 05:01 PM
sounds like they might have had a few mishaps over the years anyway, just a thought with a boat named LUNA...4!!! maybe they were after LUNA 5!!!:P

makes it tough when you abide by the rules and others just do as they please with no consideration!

pete

Mark-P
19-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Did they have a couple of white straw hats on the dash ????
Maybe they were running late for bowls !!!! ;D

Mark

disorderly
19-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Mackeral season is nearly upon us up here...and yes I encounter such dimwits regularly in high traffic area's during the season...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif
I mean it's really not difficult to adjust ones trolling pattern as to create minimal disturbance to others but I don't understand why some people who are only going 4-8 knots still manage too create drama's....with some people I really wonder if it's an ego thing or in your case maybe they had a "senior moment" and figured " we are old codgers...so get the hell outta our way or else".http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

The worst is,though when you actually hook a fish and people motor right up to you either for a stickybeak or because they think you must be onto a school.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif

Scott

darkside
19-05-2008, 07:06 PM
What ? you didn't have a snapper head handy! :-))

sharkymark2
19-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Does a snapper lead work ;). I was anchored over at the red buoy at Coochie a few weeks back and this guy came across my stern; was worried that he was going to pick up my lines. He anchored up behind me and later that after he moved I decided to move as well. As I was pulling up the anchor line I felt something soggy on the rope. I flicked my head lamp on to see a big piece of mullet flesh attached to my anchor line with a 4/- hook :(. I guess I am not the only guy to feel frustrated :). Lots of dipsticks around .

Hornet Rider
19-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Saturday whilst trolling i was keeping my straight line. 2 elder gentlemen in a boat were downrigging to my port side headed straight for me or to cut me off... to avoid a direct collision i had to keep adjusting my line to starboard, but they kept coming. These guys were downrigging and i had my very deep diver out the back..

As they approached, they finally (in a matter of speaking) did the right thing and turned behind me, but so closely that i still don't know how their downrigger avoided my lure... I yelled out to them to stop, but they just looked at me and proceeded to continue on their very close course 10m off the stern of my boat.

Now i know i had right of way and these people who were both about 65yrs old in the boat LUNA4 clearly couldn't care for boating ettiquite... yeah, they might have had 50 years of boating under their belt but for goodness sakes, it's a big area slow down and follow the rules of the sea. One of the guys had a big santa like beard and no i won't forget your face if i see you again.

Sorry guys, i had to vent my frustration, has anyone else come across inconsiderate boaties like this.

LG, it sounds like you assumed they knew what you were doing. Don't forget, never underestimate the enemy mate! You did go for your horn & give it a big blast didn't you?

cheers, Mark

Local_Guy
19-05-2008, 10:32 PM
maybe there were just too old. i was holding my line for 300m before they started to approach me

Noelm
20-05-2008, 01:55 PM
hey nothing wrong with being old, it's better than the alternative!! and hopefully most everyone will have the chance to be old, not defending here or anything, but as long as they are on the right side of the Grass, then they have just as much right to enjoy the water as any of us, but they should abide by any rules, and more than rules, common sense at least.

jtpython
20-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Definitely the joys of boating Jase
And when it comes to trolling etiquette mate i'm sure there are a few mishaps along the line like one of the guys say when you have a good fish on they seem to sit on top of you or try and troll past you to score a fish
JT
PS. Was it a long boat

dreemon
21-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I get what seems to be the large 6m + boats will aim strait for me and I'll be over to the right as far as I can go !!! at Yamba over the weekend a trolling boat came WAY too close! and no one at the wheel! mustave had the steering wheel roped off coming in through the BAR !! they nearly hit the rock wall, I was as close to the wall as i could get, there was no room for anything to go past this A-Hole port side, heaps of swearing>:(