PDA

View Full Version : What type of anchor?

disorderly
18-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm wondering what sort of anchor people use when deep water fishing on rubble bottom....I tried anchoring in a couple of spots last night about 70 mt depth with a tiny bit of rubble surrounded by flat bottom .....no way with my reef pick could I anchor so it would hold so that I could position myself over the mark...

Scott

snapper napper
18-05-2008, 05:28 PM
we usally use a reef anchor but since its a rubble bottom try using a sand anchor that should dig in and hold

Mindi
18-05-2008, 05:47 PM
i like CQR type but its a bit like the etec vs 4 stroke argument...i reckon sand anchors like danforths can be difficult to set without a lot of chain

Goldfinch
18-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I bought a Sarca anchor which is fantastic in deep water but the added secret is 8m of chain which will work in swell up to 4m. I used to have trouble with a standard sand / plough anchor but the Sarca is a breeze to work with.

jtpython
18-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Scott i use a 4 prong heavy type reef pick with 3 other smaller type prongs welded to it makingit a 7 prong jobbie
The lighter ones are still strong but wouldn't hold my boat in a swell so i had a good heavier one but wasn't good in a rubble bottom which is why i made my 7 prong jigger.
But if you go off techinqics they suggust same length anchor chain as length boat
But a mate uses a small anchor that has stainless steel traingles insteed of prongs works good for him on rock and rubble bottom.
Otherwise a plough mate
JT

finding_time
18-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Tripped plough on all bottom types;) But failing that your 90hp e-tec should be good aswell;D

Ian

jtpython
18-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Tripped Plough thats the name i was looking for Cheer IAN

uripper
18-05-2008, 07:57 PM
this is a good explanation on anchor types, uses etc
http://www.bcf.com.au/Products/How_to_Guides/In_depth_info_on_anchors.aspx
MalM

tenzing
18-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Have you included the Manson Supreme in your calculations. Like the sarca but not as pointy or slotted with a semi circular roll bar thingy. I keep mine attached to the slot and so far so good. ( 10 m chain too-- 6.0 m glass boat)

Cheers Brendan

Mr__Bean
18-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Tripped plough here too.

- Darren

disorderly
19-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the input guys...
Tripped plough anchor sounds like it's in my price range....Is that attaching the chain to the wrong end and holding in place with a cable tie?
Manson supreme and Sarca are too dear if a cheaper option will work.
Any ideas on best sized plough for a 17 ft tinny runabout?They range from 10 lb upward.

Has anybody had any drama's with this method....ie.either difficulties getting it loose or cable tie breaking loose overnight or in strong winds?

Scott

TimiBoy
19-05-2008, 08:19 AM
I tried a tripped plough, and even with 2 of the heaviest cable ties they kept breaking. Good idea, but really p!ssed me off in the end.:-/:-/ I think the boat's just too big and heavy to be held with a cable tie (CC685)

Trying the Sarca now.

disorderly
19-05-2008, 08:30 AM
That's what worries me,Tim,although your boat is much bigger with more windage.

sea raider
19-05-2008, 08:43 AM
The type on the Fremantle Dockers jumper should do the trick.

They seem to spend a lot of their time on the bottom

finding_time
19-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Scott

Mate i dont actually use a cable tie, i use a piece of 300lb mono wrapped through twice and tied. This holds very well and will only break/ knot slip if a really good load is applied which is what you want! Others i know use a piece of thinner rope! If using cable ties use 2 or 3 of the really big ones that look more like belts i know a bloke who uses these on his 32 foot Stebber and it hold well. For a 17 foot tinnie i would only a 10 or 12 lb plough with about 6m chain.

Ian

Ps

Just another tip , a plough anchor spins when it's retrieved by the float method so its a good idea to splice in one of the below swivels( stainless ones work better) to stop terrible line twist in your anchor line( about 2m above where the chain eyelet is seems to work well), use a tappered splice and melt the ends down so your float ring passes easily over your splice on retrieval!;)

Cheech
19-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I was surprised to hear the reef pick not holding. I use mine in all applications without problems. Even in sand. I prefer less prongs than more, and use a heavy 4 prong. These seem to bury in sand really well as well.

I use to have problems at a rubbly area and found that if I add a couple of metres of heavier chain at the anchor end, it makes holding in rubble a lot better.

Cheech

disorderly
19-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Scott

Mate i dont actually use a cable tie, i use a piece of 300lb mono wrapped through twice and tied. This holds very well and will only break/ knot slip if a really good load is applied which is what you want! Others i know use a piece of thinner rope! If using cable ties use 2 or 3 of the really big ones that look more like belts i know a bloke who uses these on his 32 foot Stebber and it hold well. For a 17 foot tinnie i would only a 10 or 12 lb plough with about 6m chain.

Ian

Ps

Just another tip , a plough anchor spins when it's retrieved by the float method so its a good idea to splice in one of the below swivels( stainless ones work better) to stop terrible line twist in your anchor line( about 2m above where the chain eyelet is seems to work well), use a tappered splice and melt the ends down so your float ring passes easily over your splice on retrieval!;)

Thanks Ian...I guess your not just a pretty face thenhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.
Some really useful info there,mate.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

I'm sold on the plough anchor idea and the swivel would be essential if the anchor spins.....I guess I'll have to experiment with what to use to tie it up ....What sort of knot do you tie in 300 lb mono(I've never even seen it)?

And I guess if all else fails then once the E-Tec blows up I can use that.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

Scott

disorderly
19-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I was surprised to hear the reef pick not holding. I use mine in all applications without problems. Even in sand. I prefer less prongs than more, and use a heavy 4 prong. These seem to bury in sand really well as well.

I use to have problems at a rubbly area and found that if I add a couple of metres of heavier chain at the anchor end, it makes holding in rubble a lot better.

Cheech

It has held in the past in these spots but this night there was a bit of breeze and it just kept dragging....bloody annoying when some sleep is required.
only have 4 meters of chain though..some more may have helped....I also might try filling the anchor with lead.

Scott

Last Cast
20-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Finding time , what is the "float method" ? Anything that makes the job easier sounds good :)

Just another tip , a plough anchor spins when it's retrieved by the float method so its a good idea to splice in one of the below swivels( stainless ones work better) to stop terrible line twist in your anchor line( about 2m above where the chain eyelet is seems to work well), use a tappered splice and melt the ends down so your float ring passes easily over your splice on retrieval!;)[/quote]

kingtin
20-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Scott, I could guarantee that whenever my reef pick dragged, it was because the deckie had dropped it. I worked out that she just used to chuck it, whereas I always lowered it slowly. I'm guessing that her chuck either let the chain beat it to the bottom and it got tangled, or it got tangled when she chucked it.

I only ever used the 3rd size up (I forget the weight), even on the Whittley, but it was the 5 prong as opposed to the 4 and it weighed and cost next to bugger all. I'm prepared to bet that nearly every instance of a reef pick dragging is caused by tangled chain, not enough of it, or too short a rope, . If the prongs are still bent when it comes up, then it should have held on all but solid smooth rock (which doesn't exist under the water I have been told)..........if the bottom has "texture" then it should dig in when pulled at the correct angle, and that can only be achieved by enough chain and plenty of rope.

kev

disorderly
21-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Finding time , what is the "float method" ? Anything that makes the job easier sounds good :)

Last Cast...I mainly fish alone ...often in 60-70 meters of water so to make raising the anchor easierI just have a stainless ring attached to a buoy/float.
The anchor rope goes through the ring.
When I want to raise the anchor,I simply motor off at around 45%away from the anchor(making sure that the float and rope is off to the drivers side of the boat at all times)......
When the anchor pops I gun the motor until the anchor has been dragged to the surface by the float(the anchor is suspended under the float as the chain has been dragged through the ring).
Then I grab the rope and turn the boat around and slowly drive back to the float while pulling in the slack line.
Oh so easy that even my 7 year old can do it.

Scott, I could guarantee that whenever my reef pick dragged, it was because the deckie had dropped it. I worked out that she just used to chuck it, whereas I always lowered it slowly. I'm guessing that her chuck either let the chain beat it to the bottom and it got tangled, or it got tangled when she chucked it.

I only ever used the 3rd size up (I forget the weight), even on the Whittley, but it was the 5 prong as opposed to the 4 and it weighed and cost next to bugger all. I'm prepared to bet that nearly every instance of a reef pick dragging is caused by tangled chain, not enough of it, or too short a rope, . If the prongs are still bent when it comes up, then it should have held on all but solid smooth rock (which doesn't exist under the water I have been told)..........if the bottom has "texture" then it should dig in when pulled at the correct angle, and that can only be achieved by enough chain and plenty of rope.

kev

Yes Kev it's almost guaranteed to tangle if the anchor is just let go.....I do always try to lower it and still sometimes it tangles....
I will add some lead before next trip and see if that helps....
Though I still don't think a reef pick is going to always hold on a flat bottom in deep water with a moderate breeze blowing......unless a lot of chain is added.

Scott

Dean1
21-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I used a sarca on my kc when i bought it but donated it to the reef recently. Im now running a tripped plough set up 'exactly' as Ian 'finding time' does only difference is i use 1 large cabletie. The sarca worked great but the plough seems to be hooking up a bit better in all types of bottom. The sarca seemed to struggle a little in gravely bottoms. I have a mooloolaba star as back up on my boat in case i lose this number, wont outlay the money for a sarca again when there are cheaper and possibly better alternatives. Hope this helps, Dean.

Mr__Bean
21-05-2008, 09:14 PM
For those that have expressed an interest, here is how my Tripped Plough is set up, it holds an 8 metre hardtop platey.

The anchor itself is a 20 pound plough, yes it is heavy but I do anchor for overnighters offshore in strong current.

First photo shows basic chain attachment to the anchor.

Second photo is a close up of the plastic tie wraps that I use, in this case they are two of the standard 5mm tie wraps that have in total 7 turns around the chain (4 on the first and then an additional tie wrap going around 3 times)

The 3rd photo shows the swivel used at the rope end, as mentioned by Ian these anchors will twist your rope if you use a buoy retreival without this swivel.

- Darren

snelly1971
21-05-2008, 09:37 PM
It has held in the past in these spots but this night there was a bit of breeze and it just kept dragging....bloody annoying when some sleep is required.
only have 4 meters of chain though..some more may have helped....I also might try filling the anchor with lead.

Scott

Try attaching 5 to 10 kg of lead or steel on a 2 meter rope and attach it to the reef pick end, this seems to help me when anchoring out in the deep stuff on shitty bottom

Mick

uripper
22-05-2008, 05:15 AM
For those that have expressed an interest, here is how my Tripped Plough is set up, .........

- Darren

Darren

Many thanks for the explanation & pics -

How is the swivel attached to the chain - split link ?
How is the swivel attached to the rope - spliced ?
When using a retrive float, do you use a solid ring or some type of clip ring ?thanks again in advance - MalM

Mr__Bean
22-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Mal,

1. My chain is attached to the swivel using a link joiner like the one shown in the picture below. Once hammered shut I ran a weld across the join to be sure. If you look closely at the original picture of the swivel you will just see the the weld that has a bit of surface rust on it.

2. Yes, I spliced the rope directly onto the other end of the swivel.

3. The retreive ring I use is about 120mm diameter and it has a clip so that you can easily attach / detach it from the anchor line.

- Darren

ifishcq1
22-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I never agreed with the father inlaw until recently... he dropped down to 8mm chain and went 3m longer so he now has 9m instead of the 6 he had but it weighs the same over all.. his point is that with lighter chain never beats his pick to the bottom... carry a 600mm piece of 32 mm galv tube to rebend the prongs so they are facing straight back towards the rope..this works 99.9 times out of 100

SL

uripper
22-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Mal,

1. My chain is attached to the swivel using a link joiner like the one shown in the picture below. Once hammered shut I ran a weld across the join to be sure. If you look closely at the original picture of the swivel you will just see the the weld that has a bit of surface rust on it.

2. Yes, I spliced the rope directly onto the other end of the swivel.

3. The retreive ring I use is about 120mm diameter and it has a clip so that you can easily attach / detach it from the anchor line.

- Darren

Darren
Thanks again for this explanation.
Any chance of a pic of the type of clip retreive ring your using - have tried a couple & seem to get fouling problems.
MalM

Mr__Bean
23-05-2008, 01:32 AM
I bought mine when I was back in Melbourne.

It looks like this:

http://www.boaterscatalog.com/alcient10/media/images/product_detail/anchor_ball200.jpg

Not sure where you would get one uphere.

- Darren

TimiBoy
23-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Leisure Marine have them in foam. I have one on the boat, in case the winch fails me. I have a clip for attaching it to the rope.

TimiBoy
23-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Sorry,

Leisure Marine are in Calaba. I'm sure any decent Chandler will have them.

TimiBoy
23-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Capalaba. And I haven't even been drinking. Sheeesh!>:(

Dean1
24-05-2008, 02:36 PM
For those that have expressed an interest, here is how my Tripped Plough is set up, it holds an 8 metre hardtop platey.

The anchor itself is a 20 pound plough, yes it is heavy but I do anchor for overnighters offshore in strong current.

First photo shows basic chain attachment to the anchor.

Second photo is a close up of the plastic tie wraps that I use, in this case they are two of the standard 5mm tie wraps that have in total 7 turns around the chain (4 on the first and then an additional tie wrap going around 3 times)

The 3rd photo shows the swivel used at the rope end, as mentioned by Ian these anchors will twist your rope if you use a buoy retreival without this swivel.

- Darren Hi Darren. Just noticed that youv attatched your swivel straight onto your chain. I took Ians advice and put two metres of rope after the chain then the swivel, Ian was telling me that it works much better this way( apparantly it doesnt work as well when the swivels straight onto the chain) Just something that ive learnt. I'll put a pic on next time im in the boat, it took a while to make as i spliced all my ends etc. Deano.

Mr__Bean
25-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Deano,

I think there is logic to the 2 metres of rope as it would put the swivel away from the weight of the chain and should allow the swivel to stay straighter during the anchor pull.

When I initially rigged the anchour and retreiver (no swivel) I was having trouble with rope twist, since putting the swivel on I haven't had any problems. Back then I wasn't aware of the 2 metres of rope concept.

- Darren

TimiBoy
26-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Does anyone know of a swivel that will work with an anchor winch, 14mm chain?

Somethn_Fishy
05-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone,

Just lost my anchor yesterday - It was a sic pronged reef anchor with the pip shaft filled with lead ( prongs quite short). I forgot where i bought it from a few years back and now i need a new reef anchor -

Does anyone know where I can get the same anchor from (I think it was some steel factory in Brissy?? and they posted it to me) or even a mooloolaba pick from?

All help much appreciated.

Cheers

Rick

gunna
05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
For those asking about the buoy method. There is a good bit on Heath's site.

See here http://www.gcfishing.com/anchor.htm

battleon
05-07-2008, 04:22 PM
You could always put this anchor on.

Bet you wont move too far ;D

Outsider1
05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Also a heap of articles on anchoring on the Seamedia site, including using the buoy/float system.

http://www.seamedia.com.au/sea_library/seamanship.php

Cheers

Dave