PDA

View Full Version : what are the steps on painting an ally boat

cobia
18-05-2008, 02:44 PM
hey i just got a stacer 399 proline and i will be painting that after i have dont a bit of welding around the hull.

i have done a search thread and have sussed out how to paint the outside but i was more wondering how they boat companies do the inside of the hull?

surely they dont sand and prime the complete inside of the hull?that would take far to long and be to figity for the money they charge??

the outside seems fairly straight foward to me but i was just wondering the steps to take for the inside?

ohh btw does anyone on here no of a good place to spay a boat?ie spray booth or big shed??

kind_cir
18-05-2008, 05:19 PM
To paint a tinnie:
Step 1 : take it to the local spray painter.
Step 2 : say "please paint my boat"
Step 3 : present credit card when job is done and pay and pick up.

If you wanted to do it yourself :
use a product called aluclean to clean the inside [ available from the marine shop starting with W] apply etch primer, and then paint in desired colour. Pick nose if you forgot to wear a mask when spraying and roll into little coloured balls knowing you done it yourself and knocked years off your life.
I would belive all that would be required for the inside would be a light rub before top coat. Some use fleck type paint to hide imperfections.

Mr__Bean
18-05-2008, 05:25 PM
De-grease.

Abrade.

Acid etch.

Rinse.

Solvent wipe.

Etch Prime.

Top Coat

Top Coat

(You can pay a fortune for the acid etch or you can find an electroplater in the Yellow Pages and buy some from him, then spray it in a garden sprayer)

- Darren

cobia
18-05-2008, 08:45 PM
i understand the steps to paint the outside i have done it on my last boat.i just wasnt sure on how/what the process is for the inside the boat as i havnt ever done that?how much detail/effort to put into the interior?

do you guys recommend any type of paint for the interior?