PDA

View Full Version : Impoundment mapping

NAGG
18-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi all

The last day or so there has been a few mentions of maps for our impoundments. while mud maps are available for Mondy & Awoonga ...... the detail is very basic at the very least.
So I'm wondering what maps (if any) people people are using for their favorite impoundments ?
Are there any other resources / links that are worth looking at ?

I cant understand why there are no Qld maps like what AFN produce for the NSW/Vic coastal lakes & inland impoundments ...27082.... They are quite reasonable

Nagg

Magella
18-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Nagg
Mate am working on map of Monduran with Qld Gov but this takes time I have got sample at the shop to get feedback on and has been very positive. The map has longs & Lats, has the orginial river and creek beds superimposed on it as well as the level of lake at 75% and full .
Things are going ahead but slowly as the person and department who is doing it have are things on as well.
Will keep you up to date on progress
Cheers Foxie

Tropicaltrout
18-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Hey john I went home (Tassie) a few years ago and my dad is very diary and info mad he keeps every detail of every fish he also keeps scale samples for the fisheris, anyway I went to one of my mate down there that owns a tackle shop and asked if there where any maps of the lakes mainly the main stream lakes but he did have them and with great detail from swamps depth and points of intreast for bearing when on the water, fishing areas for styles of fishing etc, they were laminated on a A4 sheet of paper and sold them for a couple of bucks but yeah very good, and then when you say where your getting fish in a certain bay everyone is on the same wave.

Cheers Nath

hodges4
18-05-2008, 11:07 AM
I use a GPS unit from my car for the dams. With some Garmin units you can overlay countour maps over the image as well to give an idea of the terrain.
Hopefully I've attached a screen dump from the GPS without the overlay. I've used it on Monduran and it allowed me to get to any of the areas I wanted accurately and thankfully find my way home. Still didn't catch any fish though but enjoyed the trip.

NAGG
18-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Nagg
Mate am working on map of Monduran with Qld Gov but this takes time I have got sample at the shop to get feedback on and has been very positive. The map has longs & Lats, has the orginial river and creek beds superimposed on it as well as the level of lake at 75% and full .
Things are going ahead but slowly as the person and department who is doing it have are things on as well.
Will keep you up to date on progress
Cheers Foxie

Great to hear Foxie ..( you know what I mean though!).. I'm looking forward to it!

Chris

Luc
18-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Nagg, somewhere in my fishing stash I've got 2 maps similar to the one you show on your post. From memory one map was called the Border lakes or some thing similar.

The other map was somerset & whivenhoe I think!! I'll see if I can dig them up.

The Beacon to Beacon directory has details on 60 dams & weirs in Qld & northern NSW.

Luc

NAGG
18-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Nagg, somewhere in my fishing stash I've got 2 maps similar to the one you show on your post. From memory one map was called the Border lakes or some thing similar.

The other map was somerset & whivenhoe I think!! I'll see if I can dig them up.

The Beacon to Beacon directory has details on 60 dams & weirs in Qld & northern NSW.

Luc

Cheers Luc ...... Whats the detail like in Beacon to Beacon
I know of the boarder lakes map ...... Same as what I've shown

Chris

Luc
18-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi Chris,

The maps show the original river beds (not all), areas with standing timbers, ramps and a legend showingb what facilities are available.

Most maps are on an A4 size page so the smaller dams are OK with shoreline details.

If you pm me your address, I'll photocopy a couple of maps and send them to you.

Luc

Gordie
18-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Gday Chris,

My Wife picked up a good map for me of Mond, it is from Nat Map and it appears they have an office in Sidney.

The one for M is ' 9248 ROSEDALE ' and I would say they would cover the whole country therefore all other dams.

To whom it may concern " SORRY ABOUT THE STATE OF ORIGIN BUT IT LOOKS LIKE WE WILL DO IT AGAIN "

Regards Gordon

Obi _ Wan
18-05-2008, 08:58 PM
G'Day Chris,

Good topic mate, i would love to be able to say i have them on my Navionics card but they are not. Had a hand held Magellan GPS that i know for sure had the mapping for Peter Faust and Lake Samsonvale, right down to the original river and creek beds. The big problem with the Magellan was that the screen was so bloody small, a real pain in the dark and a different colour to the sounder, made the old eyes in my head rattle around too much.

What i have done, but unfortunately it's cost, about three years ago now, was just over thirty dollars, is go to the Dept of Natural Resources at Woolloongabba and buy aerial photographs which are laminated. These are very good but there are no navigation aids. You can go in there, have a look at all the pic's and pick out which one's you want, they can even blow them up to size A3 but again it's at a cost and you do lose some detail. The standard size ones i have of Faust even show the trees.

As i mentioned earlier it would be bloody great if the Navionics people could chart all the impoundments, it would make it a lot easier, i keep asking every year but it hasn't happened yet!

Cheers,
John.

NAGG
18-05-2008, 11:20 PM
G'Day Chris,

Good topic mate, i would love to be able to say i have them on my Navionics card but they are not. Had a hand held Magellan GPS that i know for sure had the mapping for Peter Faust and Lake Samsonvale, right down to the original river and creek beds. The big problem with the Magellan was that the screen was so bloody small, a real pain in the dark and a different colour to the sounder, made the old eyes in my head rattle around too much.

What i have done, but unfortunately it's cost, about three years ago now, was just over thirty dollars, is go to the Dept of Natural Resources at Woolloongabba and buy aerial photographs which are laminated. These are very good but there are no navigation aids. You can go in there, have a look at all the pic's and pick out which one's you want, they can even blow them up to size A3 but again it's at a cost and you do lose some detail. The standard size ones i have of Faust even show the trees.

As i mentioned earlier it would be bloody great if the Navionics people could chart all the impoundments, it would make it a lot easier, i keep asking every year but it hasn't happened yet!

Cheers,
John.

Thanks John ....... Yeh i was a little disappointed when I found that the Navionics gold didn't even have an outline of some of these impoundments:'(

chris

I'd really love a map that you can pinpoint your location on a map using GPS co ordinates

johnny roger
19-05-2008, 12:03 AM
gday nagg,

i have tried to attach a map of tinaroo that i use. i mainly use it for identifying hidden tree areas etc. it is marked orange for dead tree area which is useful. but i cant seem to attach it, so here is the website for you to download it in PDF.
Hope this helps,
John
http://www.atgis.com.au/?action=maps#boating%20maps

NAGG
19-05-2008, 07:56 AM
gday nagg,

i have tried to attach a map of tinaroo that i use. i mainly use it for identifying hidden tree areas etc. it is marked orange for dead tree area which is useful. but i cant seem to attach it, so here is the website for you to download it in PDF.
Hope this helps,
John
http://www.atgis.com.au/?action=maps#boating%20maps

Thanks JR ...... Not too bad ( much better than most I've seen)

Nagg

Roo
19-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I've seen the map Foxie is talking about.....i want one!!!

I was doodling with my GPS recently and noticed a big smudge on the map up near Monduran.......when I zoomed in I realised it was all the beadcrumb trails overlaying each other from the 3 trips up there I have done......nearly looks like a map, not quite the full outline but not far off it either!:P

Luc
19-05-2008, 07:06 PM
THe other way could be to save the maps from google earth and add any info you glean for orther maps etc.

Luc

NAGG
19-05-2008, 10:27 PM
THe other way could be to save the maps from google earth and add any info you glean for orther maps etc.

Luc

I dont think that they come up that well Luc ....... I tried laminating one :(

Chris

Fitzy
21-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi Folks,

There's also a map you can print off for free at http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Monduran.htm

I'm looking at purchasing some licences that cover most of eastern Oz. Costs thousands however, hard to justify the cost from my own pocket.

Cheers,

fitz..

Peter4
23-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Hi Folks,

There's also a map you can print off for free at http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Monduran.htm

fitz..

No offense Fitzy but the Monduran map on sweetwater is a fairly basic one. I think most of us a looking for a more detailed map that includes the area designations (A, B, C etc) and the local names for many of the features. If latitudinal and longitudinal lines and creek beds were included all the better.

The best I have seen (so far) was the Tackleworld map produced last year for the Monduran Family Classic tournament. Unfortunately it was when the dam level was at 18% and is not much good anymore! (though I still have copies)

I would love to see the result of what Foxie is working on.;D

Regs

Pete

Magella
23-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Here is the basic one we are using at the monent
Cheers Foxie;D

Whitto
23-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Cheers Foxie;D
Foxie that is as good as you would need in a map ,it has all the necessary locations.....Cheers Whitto

Fitzy
23-05-2008, 07:16 PM
No offense Fitzy but the Monduran map on sweetwater is a fairly basic one. I think most of us a looking for a more detailed map that includes the area designations (A, B, C etc) and the local names for many of the features. If latitudinal and longitudinal lines and creek beds were included all the better.

Regs

Pete

G'DAy Pete,

No offence taken. I get what I can & get it up there for everyone to print off & use. Its about giving the best possible info possible. If there's something with more detail available & its free I recon its great.

Damn government agencies want their pound of flesh to purchase anything & its alot dearer for the licence to put it up on the www for folks to download / print for free.

Cheers,

Fitz..

NAGG
23-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Cheers Foxie;D

Thanks Foxy

Mondy .... Is such a confusing expanse of water ...... That you really need LAT/LONG ..... to pinpoint where you are! ....... I could never work out if I was fishing B , C or J::)

Nagg