PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding weather if thats possible :)

stevenc
17-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Gday everyone, trying to learn effects of tides, swell etc. Trying to plan a trip out on Monday arvo, night after work, want to go out into Moreton bay for a night fish but am confused when I go to the seabreeze site, says winds are low but swell is over 2mtrs , Bom forecast winds look good but dont say much about the swell.
My question is being close to full moon and large difference in tide heights between high and low, I would imagine tide/currents be running faster then normal, would this mean a large swell? even if the wind is light. Or it doesnt really matter. Trying to decide whether we should go down to the pin or stick with the bay, sure the forecast will change as gets closer, plus looking out window might help as well when time comes closer;)

Angla
17-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Stevenc, If you are wanting to go to the pin from say Jacobs well, then swell and wave height will not affect you and you only have to look at wind strength and direction so that you can find shelter from the wind if the strength is above 10-15.

If you were to be travelling from say Manly and had to cross an open section of the bay, then the wave height is of concern to you. How much concern is something you will have to measure against your boat size and skills.

Monday looks like it would be fine for the west side of the bay, a little later in the morning till mid afternoon. The West in the wind will keep the wave size down generally

This is all based on my experiences and is subject to any changes in the forecast

Chris

stevenc
18-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks angla, my original plans are to go into the bay I live on northside . I dont have a whole lot of experience with our 4.6m boat but if conditions were good want to go to bay. I was mainly curious to see if the big difference in tides can make a difference to the swell, cause the predicted winds look ok. Dont mind trailering down to the pin if I have to , but hoping the swell of 2mtrs predicted on seabreeze is not accurate so we can fish out in the bay.

Skusto
18-05-2008, 09:46 AM
the bay generally doesnt really have a swell because its protected form moreton if u go out on 5 to 10kts then the bay will be pretty good may be a little bit bumpy but wouldnt be that much in it. the swell is mainly for outside. but in saying that the bay is one of the places were it can be calm one second and rough with short crap chop the next breaking your back.

robersl
18-05-2008, 10:19 AM
as above the only swell the bay gets is if the breazze is coming northeast or north at times and normally not that bad but what the concern in moreton bay is the wind as the bay is so shallow average 5-10 m in the redcliffe side of the bay any wind produces a chop the more wind the more chop make it dangerous in the bay as the waves are so close . if waves for moreton bay are forcast to .7m or under then you should be ok a bit lumpy but over that i would not venture out. if the breeze is from the west you can normally put in at queens beach or margate ramps and be protected from the from breeze on the in close reefs but do not put in at those ramps if any wind from the sth to east and north as waves crash on to the ramps there with the wind direction
shane

mowerman
18-05-2008, 08:44 PM
I think you will find that the wave height on seabreeze applies to the surf beaches.
Gold coast, Sunshine coast ,Straddi etc.

Not inside the bay.

Have a look at this site as well..

http://www.askhuey.com.au/component/option,com_weather/act,windobs/

Rod.

stevenc
19-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the useful info, cant believe my luck but picked up the bloody flu on the weekend wont be going anywhere now>:( , means more fish for others ;) , definitely though some useful info received by all and will use it for the next trip out.