PDA

View Full Version : big jointed rapalas for barra?

chewy01
17-05-2008, 09:38 PM
With all the sucess of the "stiffy" of late i was just wondering if anyone has given the big jointed rapalas a swim?weather permitting ill probably hesd to monduran next w/end and was thinking of getting a couple as they look the goods.
cheers chewy...

NAGG
17-05-2008, 09:56 PM
With all the sucess of the "stiffy" of late i was just wondering if anyone has given the big jointed rapalas a swim?weather permitting ill probably hesd to monduran next w/end and was thinking of getting a couple as they look the goods.
cheers chewy...

Chewy

Some gunn anglers have 1 or 2 in their boxes ( love the action & profile) A fair bit of coin though if bought locally!
I'd certainly throw one up at Mondy:P

Nagg

chewy01
18-05-2008, 07:24 AM
thank Nagg,
i might get a couple and give them a try.they lok the goods.
cheers chewy....

Awoonga
18-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Chewy....Yep they work change the hooks to owners....Sometimes when they smashem...they can bend the link in the middle also they do fill up with water...But the bottom line is Barra love them...But shhh dont tell too many people...

Awoonga
18-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Chewy

Some gunn anglers have 1 or 2 in their boxes ( love the action & profile) A fair bit of coin though if bought locally!
I'd certainly throw one up at Mondy:P

Nagg..One or two...yea right Chris...Now theres Goldy and Silver .. Greeny, Spotty...Theres six in the range ... Got to have at least two of each...Then change the hooks....And then the barras want them for there mantlepiece...

Magella
18-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Chewy,
Broke back rapala one of the best lures to use in Gay Bay at Monduran

A top lure and was one Steveb's favourites untill he started playing with his stiffie
Seriourly a great lure, chrome side & black back, gold side & black back, green back, red head and chome side and the spotted one all catch fish at Monduran.

Cheers Foxie

Steve B
18-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Chewy,

I had some good success on them last year, during the hotter months. They are good for working the 5-6ft range. As Trev said, they fill up with water when damaged....barra damage them!!! (I didnt realise how the water was getting in....so thanks Trev)

They work well slow, big heavy suckers though!!!! Catties love them!!!

Foxie has them on his wall at the shop....good price too.
cheers Steve

you on here now foxie, I am coming down for coffee, work is giving me the S%$ts.

NAGG
18-05-2008, 09:23 AM
..One or two...yea right Chris...Now theres Goldy and Silver .. Greeny, Spotty...Theres six in the range ... Got to have at least two of each...Then change the hooks....And then the barras want them for there mantlepiece...

That gold spotty ( bunker) looks great ..... I've got a couple on the way from the States!

Chris

NAGG
18-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Chewy....Yep they work change the hooks to owners....Sometimes when they smashem...they can bend the link in the middle also they do fill up with water...But the bottom line is Barra love them...But shhh dont tell too many people...

A little trick for jointed lures ..... is to apply either a little marine silicone sealant around the joins ...... or use the 2 pack Erskine's epoxy ( binding finish)
Works a treat:)

Chris

chewy01
18-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone,
guess ill pick a couple up on the way through. I guess i could have named 10 different obscure lures and you tackle rats wood have some.:D The way its going im going to have a t/box just for monduran alone.Its getting ridiculous.Between my young fella resurrecting all my old style mad mullets leads lures and lively if ever we sink ill just paddle home on the tacklebox.If only the better half knew. cheers again everyone for the help
chewy.....:D :D

chewy01
18-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Foxie,
not sure where gay bay is but ill either be fishing it at night(dark dark dark moon)or giving it a wide berth::) ::) ::) :D ;)

Magella
18-05-2008, 06:45 PM
If you have a good spottie not that bad to get back as ust inside B

Cheers Foxie
PS Bring BEANIE

chewy01
18-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks Foxie,
ill call in on my way thru though the better half has organised a party thur nite as its show holiday here fri so not sure what time the the headache will subside.Steve b should do some more recon work though. its very relaxing alone i hear....

Steve B
18-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Chewy, It can be relaxing fishing alone.....then it can be stressful too:P

Its a bit cold ATM...if this wind dies down, and water temp gets up a bit....the weekend could be good.

the old broke-back rapalas are a 'top 5' lure for me. grab a couple. they wont do you any harm. I am trying to get out wed arvo. A mate wants to go crabbing and fishing at Myra (kolan river mouth I think) I have never been there....should be interesting. Rather catch a barra!!!

Good luck on the weekend mate.

Steve

chewy01
18-05-2008, 08:47 PM
thanks Steve,
havent been to myra but the mouth should be worth go for qeenies if baffle and broadwater are anything to go by atm,not barra but good fun on light gear. Yea ill only come up if it drops out to those nice winter days.loks like wed thurs should be ok and iv got till tuesday. If not the salmon should be nuts in the mary and they are gettin a few barra if ya can beat the crowds and fish midweek.
chewy....

BARRAkid
18-05-2008, 08:59 PM
there is big 1 piece shellow diving rapalas that look like a bony bream with a fat body they work aswell.
cold weather = shellow water
hope you give the hrf a work out ;)

cheers BK

NAGG
18-05-2008, 09:42 PM
there is big 1 piece shellow diving rapalas that look like a bony bream with a fat body they work aswell.

cheers BK

BK .... Is that one of the Shad raps ?

Nagg

BARRAkid
18-05-2008, 09:51 PM
tink so cant remember the name they have a fat body and look like a bony or mullet like th colours

NAGG
18-05-2008, 10:01 PM
tink so cant remember the name they have a fat body and look like a bony or mullet like th colours

Not sure ...... i use the X rap 10&12 ( as a gar) ..... & the jointed X Rap would be a good representation of a boney!
Let us know .... if you find the name:) Always looking for boney imitations:P

Nagg

BARRAkid
18-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I know its not a x rap it came out before them ;D ill have a look

BARRAkid
18-05-2008, 10:18 PM
this looks pritty much the same as the lure i was talking about.
but they dont seem to have the colour i was looking for.
http://www.rapala.com/products/luresdetail.cfm?modelName=shallow_shad_rap&freshorsalt=Fresh

I know you can get the same colour in skitter pops aswell

cheers BK

NAGG
18-05-2008, 10:27 PM
this looks pritty much the same as the lure i was talking about.
but they dont seem to have the colour i was looking for.
http://www.rapala.com/products/luresdetail.cfm?modelName=shallow_shad_rap&freshorsalt=Fresh

I know you can get the same colour in skitter pops aswell

cheers BK

Shallow shad rap .... @ 3.5 inches ..... it would be a tough bite lure or Estuary barra
5-6 Inches seems to be ...... the number

Nagg

BARRAkid
18-05-2008, 10:31 PM
i dont think thats the exact lure but it is the same shape :-/
for some reason they dont have the colour on there for the skitter pops either

cheers BK

2manylures
19-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Chewy.... also they do fill up with water...

If you blokes are talking about Jointed Rapalas which are made from either Abachi or Balsa Wood please tell me how they fill with water when they are solid timber.

There's nothing to fill with water and I've never heard of it.

One other thing the jointed would be no different to a standard floating or countdown. after all they are made of exactly the same material.

By the way:
Try FIRETIGER on the Barra....Brilliant Pattern along with Silver.

2manylures
19-05-2008, 04:10 PM

cheers BK

I think you may be thinking of the 14cm Super Shad Rap. 6 inch/150mm @ around 40gr.

chewy01
19-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Also marketed under super shad rap. work ok at monduran my mate got a ouple on a blue one aftr xmas. the new rapalas are no longer wood.

Steve B
19-05-2008, 04:24 PM
If you blokes are talking about Jointed Rapalas which are made from either Abachi or Balsa Wood please tell me how they fill with water when they are solid timber.

There's nothing to fill with water and I've never heard of it.

One other thing the jointed would be no different to a standard floating or countdown. after all they are made of exactly the same material.

By the way:
Try FIRETIGER on the Barra....Brilliant Pattern along with Silver.

No they are not the ones we are talking about....Sorry

These ARE jointed Xraps, made by rapala, and they DO fill up with water. They are different from the non jointed ones and are made of something other than wood. I am going to assume plastic of some kind. Might be made of the same material, they all have differerent actions. They actually suspend.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
20-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Jointed X-rap, yes great lure apart from the leak issue. The same applies to most of the new models unfortunately. They produce lots of fish with angler help and the range covers large and small lures so an angler can diversify to find optimum stimulus on the day. No lure on the market covers it all. Variety wins out in the end. If we all stick to one 'gun lure' and catch barra on it, it will always seem a good lure, but on the day you land 4 metre long fish and go home with a smile on your face you could have so easily landed 10 on a better lure choice. Don't get stuck in a rut, "expand your world" for better results and understanding!

I also notice colour being mentioned once again in a few posts, yet it always amazes me how ten different guys mention their one or two favourite colours which quite often results in fifteen colours being mentioned in total. Doesn't that spell a good trend?? Does colour really matter or is it an angler mental issue that drives confident fishing?? After 21 yrs of barra fishing I cannot sit here and say that I have ever noticed lure colour out fishing other colours with barra. Not once. That's a lot of miles and a lot of fish and mega experience over time to see how other traits override colour.
Anglers often mention lure type and lure colour, but often the train of thought never expands onto technique and how the lure actually attracts fish. X-Raps for example have unique movement and unique rattles. Clickity click..... tick tick,,!!??!?? Expanding beyond what a lure looks like quite often tells us why the barra eats it. It is rare for many great barra lures to even resemble any life form in a lake or ocean.
Maybe a mega thread on colour and lure attributes could open some doors for many anglers. Any starters? Just an idea.
Johnny Mitchell

Mak579
20-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Jointed X-rap, yes great lure apart from the leak issue. The same applies to most of the new models unfortunately. They produce lots of fish with angler help and the range covers large and small lures so an angler can diversify to find optimum stimulus on the day. No lure on the market covers it all. Variety wins out in the end. If we all stick to one 'gun lure' and catch barra on it, it will always seem a good lure, but on the day you land 4 metre long fish and go home with a smile on your face you could have so easily landed 10 on a better lure choice. Don't get stuck in a rut, "expand your world" for better results and understanding!

I also notice colour being mentioned once again in a few posts, yet it always amazes me how ten different guys mention their one or two favourite colours which quite often results in fifteen colours being mentioned in total. Doesn't that spell a good trend?? Does colour really matter or is it an angler mental issue that drives confident fishing?? After 21 yrs of barra fishing I cannot sit here and say that I have ever noticed lure colour out fishing other colours with barra. Not once. That's a lot of miles and a lot of fish and mega experience over time to see how other traits override colour.
Anglers often mention lure type and lure colour, but often the train of thought never expands onto technique and how the lure actually attracts fish. X-Raps for example have unique movement and unique rattles. Clickity click..... tick tick,,!!??!?? Expanding beyond what a lure looks like quite often tells us why the barra eats it. It is rare for many great barra lures to even resemble any life form in a lake or ocean.
Maybe a mega thread on colour and lure attributes could open some doors for many anglers. Any starters? Just an idea.
Johnny Mitchell

Timely Johnny M,

interesting article in the latest Freshwater Fishing by Steve Williamson that talks about this very thing.

Whilst colour selection is not as important as where you place it or how you wiggle it, the one thing a favourite colour does do is give the angler confidence.

IMHO an anglers attitude is the biggest factor in successful angling.

Just my thoughts,
Matt C

PS apologies for hijacking the post

NAGG
22-05-2008, 08:10 AM

Johnny Mitchell

JM .... You are probably right on the money with what you have just said! For me , colour is a confidence thing ....... If I believe that a colour or lure catches fish , then I'm going to stick with it ( Of course there will be a multitude of changes during a trip / day or session) ....... But you still need confidence in what you are presenting!
As they say "Colour catches fisherman!"

Cheers

Nagg

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
22-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look Matt.
Thanks Nagg.
Confidence is a massive factor. It can be blowing an ugly 30 knots from the west or the lake can be calm and clear; regardless of conditions at hand I myself must head off on a charter 100% confident of finding fish and making them strike. Without the focus of positive thinking I'm sure we could easily come unstuck. A guide without confidence won't positively influence those fishing on the same boat.
When trying various lures to entice a barra every cast must filled with confidence and every retrieve focused upon and directed at success. The more you think in a manner driven by success the more likely that will be the outcome. The same applies to lure colour and technique. I don't have a favourite colour nor do I have colours that don't produce fish. How about blind folding anglers and giving them a lure that they do not know of it's colour, but of its type- then fish it the same way they would their favourite. No prizes for guessing the result. Same technique, various colour, same barra landed. Mental aspects go a long way. Overcoming mental blocks or imaginary hurdles can be tough, but can be cured.
Back to the Rapala. It is a basic lure with basic principles that is deadly in the right combination of variables.
Johnny

PNG1M
23-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Geeeze mate, I think you've nailed it there...some spot on advice I reckon.

Have you ever heard the old saying "I'll believe it when I see it?"

Well try phrasing that the other way round, like "I'll see it when I believe it."

Positive thinking and a confident approach are important to many aspects of life & play and work...not to mention sports & hobbies etc etc.

You'll have a greater chance of fishing success by thinking in terms of "when" you are going to catch your next fish as opposed to "if" you're going to catch one.

OK, now back to the jointed rapala thread:
A while back I was on a 4 day PNG fishing trip with a mate and he had one jointed Rapala lure in his tackle box in amongst about a hundred stiffies. He decided to give it a try and he began to have regular hook-ups (both on barra & bass) when the stiffs couldn't show the goods.

We had a couple of rods each on the go and my mate kept that jointed rapala on over the whole weekend until eventually a fish got the better of him and the jointed rapala went to meet its maker in the depths of a Fly River tributary.

All he talked about the whole of the next day was that jointed rapala and the fact that he couldn't remember where he got it from and didn't know the name of that particular model. But he was definately going to get a replacement...so in other words, yes they do work. His model would have been around 14cm.