PDA

View Full Version : Townsville - Offshore

leezor
17-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Headed out to one of our favourite marks 40 odd mile out from Townsville late Friday night, actually by the time I dragged my young fella (Keiran) out of bed, picked up fellow Ausfisher Shaneoss, aka "The Nannigai Whipsperer" and fueled up it was around 1am by the time we got to the ramp.
We were met by pretty much perfect condition in the bay, which made for a nice relaxing trip.
We arrived at our mark around 3am, first drift over and 2 large mouth hit the deck, so we went back and dropped the pick. Things slowed up a little, by sun up we had half a dozen large mouth onboard.

Ducked over to the reef and trolled around for bit, released 2 undersized Spaniards, and landed 1/2 of another thanks to a dirty Noah.
Bottom bashed for a bit and things were really slow, so we headed back.
Dropped off at the Bomber Shoals and sat there for an hour or so with nothing onboard worth reporting.

Cheers,

Lee

warti
17-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Good haul mate. I have caught a few frying pan snapper before myself but am unsure of the legal size limit. What is it?

leezor
17-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Good haul mate. I have caught a few frying pan snapper before myself but am unsure of the legal size limit. What is it?

Hi Warti, minimum size limit for this species is 25cm and bag limit of 5, not a bad chew either.

Cheers,

Lee

kitty_cat
18-05-2008, 09:04 AM
those nanis look the goods well done

Dr_Dan
18-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Gotta be happy to finally blood the boat properly mate.

Fisher4life
18-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Good stuff lee... good to finally see a report from you again.

What size where those large mouth's?

we headed out sat morning and came home sat night around midnight for a good feed of fish also.

Will post a full report later.

So were you happy with the overall setup of the boat?

Cheers
Josh

Vindicator
18-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Some nice nannies there Lee. Did the young fella catch that one hes holding up? Well done to him. Nice haul all round, looked like conditions were tops.

Cheers
Kezza

leezor
18-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Josh, we didnt weigh them but the smallest of them was around 6-7kgs the larger ones closer to 10. Am happy with the boat, just need to get a few creature comforts happening like a windlass and I will be set :) Have a new fibreglass bait board with a sink on its way which I will plumb into the deck wash which will also make life easy. Looking forward to reading your report mate.

Kezza, the young fella landed one though not sure which it was as they all got tossed in the ice box and mixed up. It was his first Red and I think he may have caught the bug, asked me this morning when are we going again :) Conditions were perfect mate, couldnt of asked for a better morning on the water.

Dr_Dan
18-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Bugger it! Def should have gone out when you did mate, next time, the crew will have to choose, golf or fishing, not missing another day like that!!!!!!

snapper napper
18-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I thought the legal size for snapper was 35cm?

leezor
18-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I thought the legal size for snapper was 35cm?

These are a different species than what you blokes get in the south mate, these fish fall in the "Tropical Snapper and Sea Perch" catagory.

Cheers,

Lee

disorderly
18-05-2008, 06:21 PM
I've never seen those snapper before,Lee...
looks like the nannigai whisperer produced the goods with a few quality nannies there.

leezor
18-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Bit dissapointed that we didnt land a few more, but we did get there a little later than originaly planned and once the moon went down they went off the chew.

Outsider1
18-05-2008, 07:14 PM
I've never seen those snapper before,Lee...
looks like the nannigai whisperer produced the goods with a few quality nannies there.

Long Spined Snapper, also called Frying Pan Bream;

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=128904

http://www.fish.gov.au/fishnames/fishnames.php?pid=2799

Cheers

Dave

Shanoss
18-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Nannigai Whisperer eh? Need to whisper on Lee's boat. He is forever sleeping. The fishing wasnt exactly hot, but with weather like that, fish are just a bonus. I've never fished in a boat that has af many comfy fishing positions as the Seaswirl. Actually, i had to try and make myself uncomfortable to stay awake form time to time.

Spot82
19-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi Warti, minimum size limit for this species is 25cm and bag limit of 5, not a bad chew either.

Cheers,

Lee

You might want to check that as I have been told by three different DPI officers in SE Qld that there is no bag limit or size limit (although you wouldn't get much of a fillet off anything under 30cm) on fryingpan snapper, so who knows...

pilchardjones
19-05-2008, 12:48 PM
nice work lee,
good to see some nice fish in the new boat after all that work. those nannies are horses. i have not heard many reports of people doing too well on saturday for some reason. strange as it was good tides.
steve

Scott nthQld
19-05-2008, 03:30 PM
You might want to check that as I have been told by three different DPI officers in SE Qld that there is no bag limit or size limit (although you wouldn't get much of a fillet off anything under 30cm) on fryingpan snapper, so who knows...

Its not a species specific size limit. If you look at the DPI Fishweb site it list several coral reef snapper species, and all other coral snappers are 25cm and a bag limit of 5 per species.

disorderly
19-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Nannigai Whisperer eh? Need to whisper on Lee's boat. He is forever sleeping. The fishing wasnt exactly hot, but with weather like that, fish are just a bonus. I've never fished in a boat that has af many comfy fishing positions as the Seaswirl. Actually, i had to try and make myself uncomfortable to stay awake form time to time.

Howdy whisperer....You do realize that I am just jealous of your nanny catching prowess...
You always seem to just duck out for an evening fish and come home with a heap of nannies..and tryhards like me spend a day and night and sometimes another day just to get a result...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif.
Feel free to impart some of your knowledge upon me,Shane....I really do have to work hard to get a good catch ....
PM your secrets if need be.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

BTW in comparison to your Haines what are the main advantages of the seaswirl?

Scott

Dean1
19-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Half your luck mate. Im up here in townsville from brissy working 7 days a week watching all the boats getting hauled past the jobsite. So keen to get out there to wet a line but headin home friday so not a chance :-[

leezor
19-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Half your luck mate. Im up here in townsville from brissy working 7 days a week watching all the boats getting hauled past the jobsite. So keen to get out there to wet a line but headin home friday so not a chance :-[

That working caper is definately over rated!!!

Shanoss
20-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Howdy whisperer....You do realize that I am just jealous of your nanny catching prowess...
You always seem to just duck out for an evening fish and come home with a heap of nannies..and tryhards like me spend a day and night and sometimes another day just to get a result...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif.
Feel free to impart some of your knowledge upon me,Shane....I really do have to work hard to get a good catch ....
PM your secrets if need be.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

BTW in comparison to your Haines what are the main advantages of the seaswirl?

Scott

Trust me, the bagging out is only a recent thing i can assure you. And the only "Secrets" i have are the GPS co-ordinates, whick would be of little benefit to you considering your location. The only advice i can offer when chasing reds is to stay away from the reef, and fish deep water. And be lucky enough to get handed a couple of good Marks. ;)

As for the pros and cons with the Seaswirl and the Haines. Well, apart from fuel economy, and the towing, which is not really a "con" so to speak. The Seaswirl wins hands down. Main advantages for me would be comfort and space in the Seaswirl. It really is a big roomy boat. Plus the Walkaround cabin is a great feature on any boat. The only drama is the anchor well hatch. Its bloody tiny and very hard to feed the rope into when pulling the anchor. Once Lee gets his windlass though, the boat will be damn near perfect. If i had a guaranted seat and Lee was as keen to go fishing as often as i would, i'd be quite happy to sell my boat. Actually, no i wouldn't. I still love the old Haines.

Shanoss
20-05-2008, 06:22 PM
That working caper is definately over rated!!!

Thats needs clarification. Lee works for the Government, So he indeed really does believe that statement.::)

jtpython
20-05-2008, 07:24 PM
HAHAHA good going guys tops to see
JT
Got to love then Nanny's and the conditions glass
JT

Alchemy
20-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Lee,

Nice way to blood the new boat! I'd be interested to hear in time what the fuel consumption is like as I have the same motor on my Fisher.

Regards,
Dave.

Fishin_Dan
21-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Good work boys! Some very nice nannies in there!