PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra 12 Mile Thurs & Wide Cal on Friday

TCSunCoast
17-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Thursday - Went to Cal 12 mile about 1pm, drifted a little and then anchored on the ledge till sunset for a squire, wrasse and parrot on floaters. There was heaps of red throats and baby reds stealing the bait. Conditions were great.

Friday - Out to Wide Caloundra fished from 50 -70m of water for 10 squire (biggest 3kg) 1 jobfish and 2 parrot. Heaps of undersize perlies. Used floaters while drifting from 12noon till 5:30.

Shocking sea on Friday it was like a washing machine even though there was little breeze and was a pain in the arse on the way out as it was hard to get in the groove, NE stareted about 5 and it was a good trip home.

Photo's - do you really need to see what a squire looks like???????????

Sure was good to be out there and I'm certainly not complaining.

Did any one get out into the 90-100m area and did anyone overnight and do any better?

Tony.

revs57
18-05-2008, 07:09 AM
We thought about heading to the Cal 12 mile on the way to the banks thursday. Maybe we should have. Sounds like Friday was a repeat of thursday for us too Tony, washing machine conditions that hammered the hell out of you every time you'd put a bit of east into your course.

The scaley things are playing hard to get at the moment

Cheers

rhys

Vindicator
18-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Gday Tony,

Went out to the hards on Wednesday to score some nice parrot, biggest went 50cm and most were over 40, and some nice sized pearlies. But unfortunately no snaps. Was wondering what conditions would have been like thursday,friday cause there was hardly a breath here.

washing machine conditions that hammered the hell out of you every time you'd put a bit of east into your course.

Rhys,
Wednesday trip out was exactly the same. Left M'ba at 3am and soon the boat turned east I felt every bit of it. Made for a slow trip out.

Cheers
Kezza

skipalong
18-05-2008, 06:47 PM
nice work mate

stevea
18-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks,

1.How far is Caloundra Wide from Caloundra 12mile?

2.Does CW fish better the C12 during the middle of the day? I notice that during the middle of the day on the 12 mile things sometimes shutdown.

TCSunCoast
18-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks,

1.How far is Caloundra Wide from Caloundra 12mile?

2.Does CW fish better the C12 during the middle of the day? I notice that during the middle of the day on the 12 mile things sometimes shutdown.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm just trying to sharpen my skills with the tiddlers so I am on the ball come Fraser in July.:P

Steve, From Moololaba the 12 mile is 19k's (or what I call the 12 mile anyway) and I have 3 ranges for Cal Wide and we were at the middle one which is 33k's in 50-70m. I have some others another 8k's from there that are in 90-100 but I didn't go there as the newbies on board were complaining at 70m.
Cal Wide at least has some offerings during the day and we even bagged out on Perlies and Parrot there one day between 1 and 3pm. The twelve mile has never been good fo me until sunset but I'm sure some will disagree.

PS. Kezza, do you ever go anywhere other than the Hards????????? How many k's do you do to get there. I got some spots that were given to me that are 70k's out, never been there. Maybe you should go and check them out?

Rhys, did you go to the Fraser Comp? How was the weather and fishing?

Tony

REELWORK
18-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi TC. Fished Cal Wide on Friday also. Left harbour at 1.00 pm and just as you said had a very bumpy ride out to cal wide. On arrival fished in 55m of water and a few snapper around the 50 cm came on board. All went quiet around 3 and then they came on just on dark for around half an hour and then at about 8 pm as the moon was above at this time. Lasted about 20 mins and we headed for home at 9 pm. ended up with 7 snapper, 3 rosy jobs, 4 moses perch and 2 spotty macks around 5 kg(first 2 for the year and they must have been lost out there,. All in all not a bad afternoon.

TCSunCoast
18-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi TC. Fished Cal Wide on Friday also. Left harbour at 1.00 pm and just as you said had a very bumpy ride out to cal wide. On arrival fished in 55m of water and a few snapper around the 50 cm came on board. All went quiet around 3 and then they came on just on dark for around half an hour and then at about 8 pm as the moon was above at this time. Lasted about 20 mins and we headed for home at 9 pm. ended up with 7 snapper, 3 rosy jobs, 4 moses perch and 2 spotty macks around 5 kg(first 2 for the year and they must have been lost out there,. All in all not a bad afternoon.

Nice work, least we are coming home with a feed. I nearly stayed for the tide and moon, reading your report convinces me going early was not good.

We found there was plenty of bites, just a real pain in the arse to hook. I had a Victorian with me that caught a few fishing like he was in Port Phillip Bay by leaving the bail arm open and hand feeding the line to them with excellent results.

Tony

REELWORK
18-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Tony. I was fishing much the same sort of way as they were biting very timidly. Basically leaving the lever drag on the overhead open and waiting till the fish was actually taking the bait and hooking them selves. It was becoming very frustrating at times, but that is the joys of fishing. I had a mate fish the 90 - 100 metre mark the same night, very few fish but 2 nice cobia around 30 kg each.

TCSunCoast
18-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Tony. I was fishing much the same sort of way as they were biting very timidly. Basically leaving the lever drag on the overhead open and waiting till the fish was actually taking the bait and hooking them selves. It was becoming very frustrating at times, but that is the joys of fishing. I had a mate fish the 90 - 100 metre mark the same night, very few fish but 2 nice cobia around 30 kg each.

I must tell the Vico, he'll be most impressed. I thought the deaper water migh have been the go.

Next time.

Tony

Vindicator
19-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Tony,

pm sent.

Cheers
Kezza