PDA

View Full Version : Connections for Trim Guage

Splash
17-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Team,

I have a trim guage for my 1989 Johno 110 HP that I wish to install.

Yes, there was one hooked up when I purchased the boat but I had to remove it to allow other items to take up that real estate on dash.

I now need to re-install the the guage and need your help.

Attached picis show the rear of the guage with terminals.

I see 3 terminals together and 1 up higher.

Of the 3, I see 2 terminals with "S" and "G". The other terminal in the 3 has no letter designation.

I see wires underneath the dash but forget which ones to hook up.

Help?

Splash

BM
17-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Splash,

the terminal near the globe (the top one) is for 12V. The 'S' is for sender and the 'G' is for ground (earth).

Off the top of my head I can't recall the OMC wiring colours.

Obviously ground will be black, if you look at the sender unit you may be able to see the wire colour there (probably inside a protective sheath). I'm thinking white with a coloured trace but cannot confirm. Can't remember what colour is switched 12V on OMC (might be purple?) but if power the guage from your tachos power terminal you'll be fine and of course you will then know the colour, assuming its genuine wiring.

Splash
17-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Thnaks BM. Will have a play.

What about the third terminal on right (group of 3)?

Splash

station-rat
18-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Splash
BM has it right
Purple is the switched 12v+
Black is ground 12-
white with black trace is the sender
instrument lighting is the fouth wire assuming it is there.

BM
18-05-2008, 10:24 AM
The other terminal is most likely tied to earth splash and you don't need to worry about it (it will be there to secure the resistor).

Just connect to the terminals that are marked (and the 12V terminal near the light) and you will be cool :cool:

Splash
18-05-2008, 10:37 AM
thanks - i will let u know how i get on...

Splash

Splash
18-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I have played and cannot locate a dedicated purple wire for the trim guage - but one is hooked up to the tacho.

Unable to see any wires : white with black trace.

The third terminal has the letter 'I' next to it.

Splash

BM
18-05-2008, 01:37 PM
"I" for ignition, or switched power (your purple wire)

Splash
18-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Thansk BM.

Which connection should have the purple (12V) - top near light or other marked "I"?

Can I share the purple wire with the tacho for this trim guage?

Splash

BM
18-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Yep, thats what I mentioned earlier on mate. Jump a wire from the tacho. Thats normally how instruments are wired. Daisy chain style from the first instrument.

Connect your 12V to the 'I' terminal. If that terminal is electrically isolated from the terminal next to the globe then make up a short lead to jump from the "I" terminal to the globe terminal.

Cheers

Splash
18-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Thnaks BM.

Unable to see any wires : white with black trace. - what to do here?

Splash

BM
18-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Find the wire exiting the trim sender at the engine end. Check the colour and follow it through.

Splash
18-05-2008, 02:19 PM
stand by.....