PDA

View Full Version : Yammie 60 hp question

Tassie JR
17-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey i have got twin 60 hp yammie 4 stokes both with 85 hours but they both dont want to start straight away it usually takes 3 goes to get them going, they even do it after the the boat has just been running. It seems like fuel is running back out of the moters, if it was only happening to one moter i would think it would need a tune up but its both. They both dont miss a beat when running. Is there something we should try, any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers tassie JR

BigE
17-05-2008, 06:28 PM
def fuel supply if i run my 60 yammie dry then it take 2 or 3 goes to start . so i disconnected my remote fuel filter now when it runs dry i just pump it up by the fuel bulb and it starts first kick in the guts. I' no mechanic but i think the fuel injection system needs a good prime to get it started. I have never had a problem unless the motor has been run dry. It doesnt do it just sitting over nite or anything like that. Check your fuel lines and conections for air leaks had some dramas with leaky tank conections with my old evinrude in the past.
Regards BigE

whatscracken
17-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey Tassie, I have a mate with a fuel injected 60 yami and it always starts straight away weather its hot/cold or hasn't been used for a while. Big E might be on the right track with them being starved for fuel. Good luck mate.

sharkymark2
17-05-2008, 07:44 PM
yep mines 6 month old and as soon as I turn the key brmmm. It sound just like my partners bmw. No fear about getting stuck out somewhere ;).

Tassie JR
17-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks fellas, i can run them for say 2 hours get back to the ramp swich them off go get the car take (probally 2 mins) get back go to start the moters and it will take a couple of goes to start it. You would still think it has fuel in the moters.

Hey sharky ours go brmmm brmm brm b then brmmm brmm brm b then brmmmmmmmmmm.:P

cheers tassie JR

fly_1
17-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I have twin 60s on my kcat, done 300 + hrs in the last 18mths with them, and they start first turn of the key everytime... I work on tours, so the boat gets used alot, then sits idle for 2 weeks or so, and as soon as I turn the key after a couple of weeks, (no priming required), they fire up everytime. I would be looking at your fuel supply/lines, as you really shouldnt even need to prime them before starting..
Good luck

Trent

Spaniard_King
18-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Tassie,

IMO you have 2 issues (i have found this on yammy 60's) get the tappets checked to ensure they are in spec. also have the thermostats removed and checked.. most likely they are jammed open. both of these will attribute to poor low speed running charcteristics including hard starting. :)

mowerman
18-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Tassie

Had the same problem with my 90hp Yamaha.

Replaced all the lines ,new tap(twin tanks),new bulb and still took a couple of goes to start.

Finally took off the water seperator filter, ran a film of 2 stroke oil around both sides of the rubber O ring and screwed it back on.

Hasnt missed a beat in 2 months and starts 1st time wether hot or cold.
Havent been out in 2 weeks and the bulb is still hard.

Sucking air is not good.

Rod

Tassie JR
18-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies i might have to look into a few things yous have said.

cheers tassie JR

TheRealAndy
19-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I have a yammie 50hp, similar problem. If I tilt the motor up, then its harder to start. I am assumung that the fuel runs out of the carb's. Quick pump of the fuel bulb starts first time every time.

ausandy
19-05-2008, 11:42 AM
hey tassie, there is a fuel filter on the back rocker cover that has a rubber cover on it. this filter has a one way valve in it that has caused us a few concerns. remove the filter and try blowing gently thru it. if you find any restriction i would suggest changint this first....... andy

propdinger
19-05-2008, 12:33 PM
we bought a new yamaha that had the same problem on a 60hp 4 stroke (nearly 7 years old) after it went back to 3 different yammy dealers they just said its cause its a carbie model and not long after they came out in efi but anyway after 14 times in to get fixed yamaha just said tough. they tried to fix it witrh new pumps breathers fuel lines etc etc. just traded it 2 weeks ago for a Suzuki 60hp so after 7 years the problem never went away but we learned to live with it. after the treatment from yamaha we have not bought another yamaha since nor will we unless its the last resort. over a small problem yamaha has lost well over $30k from me.

Tassie JR
20-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies, ill be having a good look over them on the weekend and try some of the things suggested.

thanks tassie JR

TheRealAndy
21-05-2008, 06:46 AM
we bought a new yamaha that had the same problem on a 60hp 4 stroke (nearly 7 years old) after it went back to 3 different yammy dealers they just said its cause its a carbie model and not long after they came out in efi but anyway after 14 times in to get fixed yamaha just said tough. they tried to fix it witrh new pumps breathers fuel lines etc etc. just traded it 2 weeks ago for a Suzuki 60hp so after 7 years the problem never went away but we learned to live with it. after the treatment from yamaha we have not bought another yamaha since nor will we unless its the last resort. over a small problem yamaha has lost well over $30k from me.

Most people I know that have carbie models have the same issues when they tilt their engine up. Its not restricted to Yamaha. EFI is not an issue becuase there is no fuel sitting inside a carbie, its all under high pressure in a fuel rail. If they injectors are not open, the fuel goes nowhere.

black runner
21-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Tassie, if its an efi there is an additional electric pump after the main mechanical pump that supplies fuel to the rail and injectors. If you turn the ignition switch to the "on" position and wait for a couple of seconds until the digital gauges initialize you will also notice that during this time you can hear the pump pressurizing fuel in the rail. The Yammie (platinum dealer) mechanic I spoke to said that it always is preferable to let the instruments initilize before hitting the starter as he had experienced instances of difficult starting. I had first hand experience of this when purchasing my current boat which is an efi 60. I took it for a run and it performed flawlessly. Got back to the ramp and turned it off. Took three attempts to get it started. Now I immediately suspected old fuel as the person selling hadn't had it out for nearly 12 months.

I had it checked by the above dealer and all was spot on. He also recommended draining the fuel after I told him about the misstart but it was then he also recommended waiting a couple of seconds (until the gauges initialize) in the "on" position before starting. Well I drained the fuel and since have always waited a couple of seconds before starting. No probs since (60 hrs and lots of stop starting).

I would also check battery condition (connections/voltage drop) if you are having the same issue with both motors.

Hope this helps

reel scream
21-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Dan- i hope they are not on the back of your tinny. If so your Dad and i would be left in your wake:o :o ;D .

Rainbow soon matey. New axles are bolted on tomorrow(thurs). Speak soon

Cheers Scott

Tassie JR
22-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Dan- i hope they are not on the back of your tinny. If so your Dad and i would be left in your wake:o :o ;D .

Rainbow soon matey. New axles are bolted on tomorrow(thurs). Speak soon

Cheers Scott

Hey scott she looks good hey pics a bit small. I might have to take her up to rainbow and straight over the wide bay bar and off i go8-).

cheers Dan

Tassie JR
22-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Tassie, if its an efi there is an additional electric pump after the main mechanical pump that supplies fuel to the rail and injectors. If you turn the ignition switch to the "on" position and wait for a couple of seconds until the digital gauges initialize you will also notice that during this time you can hear the pump pressurizing fuel in the rail. The Yammie (platinum dealer) mechanic I spoke to said that it always is preferable to let the instruments initilize before hitting the starter as he had experienced instances of difficult starting. I had first hand experience of this when purchasing my current boat which is an efi 60. I took it for a run and it performed flawlessly. Got back to the ramp and turned it off. Took three attempts to get it started. Now I immediately suspected old fuel as the person selling hadn't had it out for nearly 12 months.

I had it checked by the above dealer and all was spot on. He also recommended draining the fuel after I told him about the misstart but it was then he also recommended waiting a couple of seconds (until the gauges initialize) in the "on" position before starting. Well I drained the fuel and since have always waited a couple of seconds before starting. No probs since (60 hrs and lots of stop starting).

I would also check battery condition (connections/voltage drop) if you are having the same issue with both motors.

Hope this helps

Thanks i will have to give it a try, I was talking to the mechenic at work and he works with yamaha outboards a lot and he was saying the same as you, he said its pretty common with the 60hp 4 strokes. All the battey connections was checked by the mechenic when we brought the boat.

cheers tassie JR