PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used Southwind ub580

Marsman
17-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a used southwind UB580 or 670.

I was hoping someone here could clarify a conflicting storey I am getting about these boats.

I have been told there were certain year/s hulls that were not manufactured the best and as such began to de-laminate.

What years were these? Was it the late 90's hulls or 2000 to 2003 hulls?

Mars

Marsman
18-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Guys.

Any truth to the story?

Marsman

ifishcq1
18-05-2008, 10:45 AM
None at all ,these stories are made up by gooses with no clue ...however there were a few made in PNG of the bigger lengths and a bit different shape that had a problem because some of them were made in the wet season.
The 5.8 is a great little boat.... I have a couple bigger ones and would never own another trailer boat.... best allround boats

Scott

Marsman
18-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks Scott for the info.

Does anyone know where I can find a decent UB580 with an all white hull? Preferably located in Perth.

I almost landed one last week however, the seller had no business etiquette at all and promptly sold the boat to someone else before concluding negotiations with myself.

Marsman

uripper
19-05-2008, 10:36 AM
None at all ,these stories are made up by gooses with no clue ...however there were a few made in PNG of the bigger lengths and a bit different shape that had a problem because some of them were made in the wet season.
The 5.8 is a great little boat.... I have a couple bigger ones and would never own another trailer boat.... best allround boats

Scott

Ditto to the above - they are a great boat if that suits your need BUT very hard to find 2nd hand - sold my UB580 within hours of putting it on Ausfish (fell in love with an old Haines deepV cuddy)::)

some info I collected from Southwind Circa2001-2 :
"UB580 Now in Survey"
The Southwind UB670 has long been a favourite with fishing guides operating in the northern part of Australia. Extremely low power requirements for hull size, rough water ability, shallow draught and abundance of wide open work space make it a craft uniquely suited to a wide range of fishing applications. Now there’s an even more economical solution for guides working smaller groups or restricted by budget. The UB580 is now in 2D survey for four plus one. In other words, a skipper and four fishermen, or perhaps skipper and guide with three passengers.With virtually the same bottom shape as the UB670, the 580 is capable of handling surprisingly rough water allowing short coastal passages to remote creeks, then a very shallow draft enables the craft to comfortably work in skinny water. A length of 5.79m to a beam of 1.96m produces the long boat form capable of performing with unusually small motors. In this case a maximum of 90hp 2-stroke or 100hp 4-stroke works beautifully. Maximum engine weight is 169kg. Safety is a primary consideration at Southwind, and the UB580 not only features a self draining cockpit and under floor foam, it also has foam around the gunwale to encourage a swamped or holed boat to float upright. Under floor longitudinals are all fibreglass.

hope that helps - can email you more info if you PM me your email address
MalM

Marsman
05-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Well I found one and bought it!

A 2000 hull packing a 2004 model 75hp 4 stroke Merc.

Navman trackfish 6500 and removable esky.

I will be adding gunwale rails shortly with 4 SS adjustable rod holders each side. Then I will remove the back seats and put in an adjustable bait board with removable tacklebox under. Maybe some built in tackle boxes to the centre console.

Marsman

uripper
05-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Wahoooo - looks like a ripper ;) ;) ;D ;D

Mtx
05-06-2008, 12:40 PM
nice buy there mate. You will be happy with that one I would expect.

Marsman
06-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Thank guys,

I think it's a good start for my first boat.

I am going up to Exnmouth in September for 10 days with it.

Should be fun.

runci
06-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Well I found one and bought it!

A 2000 hull packing a 2004 model 75hp 4 stroke Merc.

Navman trackfish 6500 and removable esky.

I will be adding gunwale rails shortly with 4 SS adjustable rod holders each side. Then I will remove the back seats and put in an adjustable bait board with removable tacklebox under. Maybe some built in tackle boxes to the centre console.

Marsman

bugger i wish you lived in NS i am selling my ub670
what size is that one 580?
looks good

Mindi
08-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Marsman
I had one for about 5 years and it was easily the best boat I ever owned ..(and it was number 12 I think after 2 Haines and 3 Quinnies over the years. Just fantastic. My only issue was that the low HP rating only allowed me to put a Yamaha 90 2 stroke on it which was just adequate... and that the self draining deck was more "self flooding when I was tanding up the back at rest...after a while I stopped worrying about this and enjoyed the cool feet. Best ride and seakeeping you will get

uripper
09-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Agree with Marsman - Awesome boat though a little short on HP

A word of WARNING - some models like mine had the fuel filler on the raised front deck & if the side drain holes clogged, then water can pool on this portion of the front deck & go straight down the breather into the tank(s).
Ultimately this cost me a perfectly good Yam70 ( failed crankcase bearing) :'( :'(
The fuel filter didnt have a glass bowl - so partly my fault :-[ :-[

Mal