PDA

View Full Version : Quiet day from any perspective

TimiBoy
17-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Pulled out of Raby bay yesterday at 5.45 am, astounded that the wife was able to get up that early. Beautiful calm conditions, quick transit to the bar and over.

Found some good sign at 29's, took a couple of drifts, and managed to land a 30cm Mother in Law. I chucked her back...

On to the 35's by 9.45 am, and the sounder was thick with fish. Drifted slightly East of South, each drift had serious fish down there for 10 minutes or so. Started with whole Pillies, and after 10 minutes or so got belted and then lost the fish - sliding snood gave way :-[. Back to knot school. Quickly sent the other rig down, then looked at the sounder, I've left the fish behind. Then surprisingly got a hit, and landed a 45cm Squire. I could have just hoiked him over the side, but the wife was standing there with the net, and needed the practice (she doesn't fish). So she netted the fish, and is still crowing about it!;D

Went back, started another drift. For the next two hours, I tried different rigs, varied weights, tried whole squid, and nuclear chooks, had a couple of nibbles, but nothing of consequence.

12.30 headed back to 29's which were oily by then. Dead calm, almost no drift. Plenty on the screen, but I knew they'd be small. Released a few small squire and grassies, then called it a day.

At the ramp I had a chat with an old timer, he said he'd been pulled by Fisheries on the way in, and they said they hadn't found one boat today with a keeper. I showed him my fish, and he told me I must've been the best Angler on the water today!!!! Could have kissed him 8-), today I'm a ten percenter!

Cobia Kid
17-05-2008, 06:25 AM
good one mate, sounds like the boss had fun, also good to see shes getting into fishing.
i want to start taking my mum up the creek in my tinnie for a fish, see ow i go:D
cheers ,
jamie

revs57
17-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah Tim,...it was a quiet day by all accounts....we did the northen 29's for little return...noe nice maori, but that was really all worth talking about

mate, let ya missus crow, at least she was with ya!

Cheers

Rhys