PDA

View Full Version : Abu Garcia Cardinal 800 Series

t4topcat
16-05-2008, 10:37 PM
G'day all,

I'm wondering if anyone has had anything to do with these reels as I'm interested in maybe ordering one online. They look like they are reasonably well made for the price they are asking an dlook like a solid unit that may be good value for the dollars. I'm after some opinions and if anyone has one , what do you think? How do you rate them? I have both a Revo STX and Inshore and can't be happier, I'm hoping that ABU have made a series of spin reels that are as good.

Cheers

Chris

Roo
28-05-2008, 09:53 AM
I had a play with the black bodied one in the shop(i think it was the 800 series). they certainly have the solid feel of a well made reel although a touch heavy. good bail arm and mechanism, smooth spinning bearings and carbon drag adds up to what should be a good value package if the price is right.

Roo
21-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Thought i might bump this up again to see if any punters out there have some experience with these reels.
I had a play in the shop again recently with the 801 cardinal and found it comparable to the new Shimano Symetre 1000(FJ) for smoothness and solid feel although it is a good 30gms heavier than the 1000 Symetre, it is slightly larger in size....comparable to a 1500 size in Shimano or Daiwa. I preferred the Abu's bail arm design, it felt more solid and pretty much the same as the Daiwa Airbail system. The spool is solidly mounted and bearing supported on the main shaft. Carbon Drag is a plus and sealed with a neat rubber grommit is a good feature. Screw in handle makes for a wobble free direct connection to the main gear. I'm starting to notice it has some very similar features to the Certates we have already. I had a play with the Daiwa Excellor and didn't like it much, not as smooth. Sol 2000 was ok but an extra $100 and to be honest, didn't feel any better to me.

So has anyone got any feedback for the ABU Cardinal 801? I noticed Scott Towner was using one on the AFC, I wonder if by choice or because of sponsorship commitments.

Cheers Roo.

t4topcat
21-01-2009, 10:50 PM
G'day Roo,
mate I've not seen the 801 but I have purchased a 804 and 806 for barra and sooties and for playing with pelagics. The only problem is due to surgery I haven't been able to fish with them yet, hopefully soon. But I must say that I feel that they are well made and for the price I think that they represent a realistic option for those of us that don't have a direct line to the reserve bank :) .

Cheers

Chris

Alan Hawk
22-01-2009, 01:12 PM
I've just written a full review of them. Check it out http://stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=638460 :)

Tim_N
22-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Wow Alan,
That is some review. They look the goods for the dollars.
Tim

Chamelion
22-01-2009, 03:20 PM
I picked up a Daiwa Exceler 1500 for $50 (down from $165) a few days ago from the snake shop... I also picked up 3 Daiwa pro shooters for 1x 2000 @ $15ea and 2x 2500 @ $20 (down from $120) and a Pflueger Medalist 6040 for $50 down from $185.

All in all inc all of the other crap I purchased I've paid $345 for $1300 worth of kit. They're worth checking out!

Matt.