PDA

View Full Version : Off Cape Moreton 16/05/08 - A First for the Deckie !

Black_Rat
16-05-2008, 07:28 PM
We left Bribie just after 6am for a reasonable trip out, misjudged my route around Combie point and had some full throttle moments avoiding some awkward breaking waves ::) Heading out past the Cape and it was a bit lumpy as well. Checked the forecast before leaving home and the latest reading was 15knt winds with gusts up to 18Knts at Cape Moreton but persevered to see how conditions would be. Wasn’t too concerned given the forecast for the day was good.

Once passed the Cape headed around 7klms east to a spot where on Labour Day we got into some nice Pearlies. We found a trawler anchored over the mark so headed a few 100m north to another mark. We picked up a few Pigfish which were sent back at first because we were chasing the Pearlies. The current was running one way and we were drifting the other way so did quite a few retrieve and drops to keep in touch with the bottom. After an hour the trawler moved around so we hit the mark I had in the GPS. :)

We had some great shows but the next two hours only produced around 6 undersized Pearlies and some good sized Pigfish which by now we started to keep. By now the good shows were now poor and the bite shut down :( so decided to head in closer to the Cape to another mark around midday.
First few drifts saw the rat fish come aboard from 30m of water. Wind changed a little and the drift was almost non-existent with our dropper rigs deployed straight down. Picked up 3 Mosses Perch which went into the esky and a few undersized fish were sent back - Mario Cod, Squire, Trevally, Kingies and a Bream ! ;D

With no current I switched to a floater rig, a few minutes after throwing it out get a run on the bait runner, strike, hook up for a few moments and the line gives way at the knot >:( Bugger ! So I re-rig with a set of gangs and a small ball sinker and send a whole squid down.

With not much happening I headed up front to take a few photos because conditions were sensational, after a few photos the floater goes off !!!!!! zzzzzzzzzz. I call out to my mate Aza, “Bring it in it’s yours” ! … “….you sure…?” he says …. I say “Yeah it’s probably a Snapper..” After a few runs I thought it might be decent so I got the net ready. Before long Aza has his first “Snapper” over the side of the Formosa & securely in the net going 72 cm ! There were cheers and high-fives going everywhere ! ;D ;D ;D

After that and a few more floaters got squat so we headed back to Bribie in magic conditions and Aza with a grin from ear to ear ! A top day out and with great company 8-) A few pics to come.

PS: I’m now having a 2 week break from fishing until I depart for a 12hr charter to Double Island Point on May 31st for my company’s annual fishing trip ! ;D

Greg P
16-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Damo - Did I go past you anchored up in the passage this arvo ?

Hit wide cal early morning - it is fishing well. Anyone travelling at night please note I saw my first whale out there today - they're back :o:o:o:o

Black_Rat
16-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Damo - Did I go past you anchored up in the passage this arvo ?

Hit wide cal early morning - it is fishing well. Anyone travelling at night please note I saw my first whale out there today - they're back :o:o:o:o

Na, it wasn't me there was another Formosa CC anchored up when we came in on our Starbord side comming into the passage. We got in at around 3pm.

snapper napper
16-05-2008, 10:34 PM
nice fish mate , i haven't actually seen a pigfish cause i dnt know wat they look like do u have any pics of em......or any1 else?

Chong
17-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Nice one Damo, glad you got a few. The day looks heaps better than we where out, i new friday would be good.
Cheers