PDA

View Full Version : Cook book

Mrs Ronnie H
16-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi all

Just wondering if Aus fish have thought of putting together a cook book .

I am sure we all have a favorite recipe for our favorite fish etc..

What does everyone think ??????????

Ronnie

Imfiik
16-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a classic fish recipe. A mate and I were fishing at 1770. It was rough offshore and that green slimy weed was making fishing the creeks with live bait almost impossible.
We were up the top of Roundhill creek . We pumped some yabbies and were catching a few whiting and sickle fish when a scool of big forktail catties came on the chew. Now I don't like catties but we had not had a feed of fresh fish all week. So I had the fillets off and skinned in short order.
Now my mate used to be a chef and he convinced me that they would be beautiful in his special beer batter. He made the batter ,left it for an hour to set ,then cooked up a heap of fish.
All was going well until I noticed the black lumps. When I looked closer and realised the black lumps had legs,I started spewing. He hadn't covered the batter bowl properly.
So there you are , a classic recipe. 1770 catfish in beer and blowfly batter. Brr I feel like having another hurl just thinking about it.

whiting-wizard
18-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I have a classic fish recipe. A mate and I were fishing at 1770. It was rough offshore and that green slimy weed was making fishing the creeks with live bait almost impossible.
We were up the top of Roundhill creek . We pumped some yabbies and were catching a few whiting and sickle fish when a scool of big forktail catties came on the chew. Now I don't like catties but we had not had a feed of fresh fish all week. So I had the fillets off and skinned in short order.
Now my mate used to be a chef and he convinced me that they would be beautiful in his special beer batter. He made the batter ,left it for an hour to set ,then cooked up a heap of fish.
All was going well until I noticed the black lumps. When I looked closer and realised the black lumps had legs,I started spewing. He hadn't covered the batter bowl properly.
So there you are , a classic recipe. 1770 catfish in beer and blowfly batter. Brr I feel like having another hurl just thinking about it.

Hahaha nice mate nice;)

Rosie M
22-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Hello everyone,:)
A recipe book, would it include some fishing tips and stories? Not a bad idea, some very interesting and varied ways of cooking fish out there. Perhaps a poll to discover what everybody thinks?
Rosie.:)

johnny roger
23-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Yep...i think it would be a good idea. especially easy to do recipes when your out camping/fishing.
John

sleepygreg
24-05-2008, 12:07 AM
There is a cook book out there somewhere called "the Fishermans Cook Book" - written by John McConkey. He is an ex merchant Navy cook, a keen fisherman, and my last contact with him he was Alveys NSW Sales Manager - though he may have retired by now. This book went through most of the popular, and some not so popular, Australian fish..and gave not only a recipe for cooking each one....but rigs and tackle on catching them and some stories on fishing as well. Not sure if it is still in print.....but if you contact your local tackle store Im sure they could make some enquiries for you.

Cheers
Greg

johnny roger
24-05-2008, 12:26 AM
There is a cook book out there somewhere called "the Fishermans Cook Book" - written by John McConkey. He is an ex merchant Navy cook, a keen fisherman, and my last contact with him he was Alveys NSW Sales Manager - though he may have retired by now. This book went through most of the popular, and some not so popular, Australian fish..and gave not only a recipe for cooking each one....but rigs and tackle on catching them and some stories on fishing as well. Not sure if it is still in print.....but if you contact your local tackle store Im sure they could make some enquiries for you.

Cheers
Greg
Thanks for that Greg, I'll definately keep an eye out for it. Google may even have some links to it. I'll let you know if i find it.
John

Mrs Ronnie H
24-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi all
Thanks for your posts.
I just thought it might of been a good idea to bring all us aus fishers a book that they could contribute to and include not only some good cookin tips but maybe a few fishin ones thrown in.

What does ausfish think of the ideas. I would be willing to help out if all thought it worthwhile. It doesn't need to be fancy printed or hard cover. I have one the my local ST Johns put out years ago, where everyone sent in their favorite recipes and was put together rather cheaply and simply.

Ronnie

johnny roger
24-05-2008, 10:14 AM
hey greg,
no joy on the search for that book. might have to get out on the streets and physically ask the book shops etc. but google has never heard of it.
John

mod5
24-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi all
Thanks for your posts.
I just thought it might of been a good idea to bring all us aus fishers a book that they could contribute to and include not only some good cookin tips but maybe a few fishin ones thrown in.

What does ausfish think of the ideas. I would be willing to help out if all thought it worthwhile. It doesn't need to be fancy printed or hard cover. I have one the my local ST Johns put out years ago, where everyone sent in their favorite recipes and was put together rather cheaply and simply.

Ronnie

The problem would be copyright unless they were original recipes.

hey greg,
no joy on the search for that book. might have to get out on the streets and physically ask the book shops etc. but google has never heard of it.
John

Have a look here http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=John+McConkey&sortby=2&sts=t&x=66&y=7

Ausfish
25-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Sounds like a good idea. But at the end of the day it is a website and people can just put there recipe up here. This way everyone can see it and it is searchable, has pics, comments, etc.

I would think if people wanted to share their recipes they would have done it by now.

FNQCairns
25-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Where is Gordon Ramsay when you neeeeed him!;D

cheers fnq

sleepygreg
26-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Steve, dont ever stop this page in the site........everyone has a good recipe to tell. It may not be original, it may not be unique, but at the end of the day...it may be just the recipe that someone wants to impress that special guest, or get the most out of that fish they have caught for the first time.

Cheers
Greg

Dirtysanchez
27-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I feel green after reading about the blowfly batter. ewww

cqfreshie
27-05-2008, 10:08 PM
There are cookbooks everywhere .... if I want a new recipie, I look here ... what more do ya need?

Cheers
Graham