PDA

View Full Version : Bow U-bolt maitenance - stress fractures

ozscott
16-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi all. I was making enquiries about getting a Retrieve Ezy device which looks very simple and effective fromt the video and pictures...but the helpful owner tells me that often when people take out there old ubolts they fracture or are fractured around the bottom where they go into the thread....he reckons that they should be replaced fairly regularly and that as stainless they show no outward signs of stress...anyone do this?

tunaticer
16-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I've never replaced one that hasn't broken but have replaced three that have.

The problem is the Stainless Steel work hardens, the more times you stress it the more brittle it becomes. All stainless steels suffer from this to a varying degree.

I suppose the best way to treat them is use them for retreival purposes and do not leave them loaded with stress while travelling or standing still. Your boat straps should be taking most of the load to hold your boat in place.

You never see things tied forward on semi trailers, nearly always straight across and the loads seldom move forward or back.

Jack.

ozscott
16-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I tie mine down at the back but the safety on the front goes to the ubolt...its hard to tie down the front too - but not impossible - with a strap...just a pain in the arse and I have never seen it...ever...but perhaps I should take the time and do it.

Roughasguts
17-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes stainless steel corodes, not the part you see just the bit thats out of sight, and through the transom, or bow, or threaded through the nut. Stainless steel likes to be out in the open or under water where it gets oxygen, take away the oxygen and it rusts. You can polish the rust off and that protects the metal again by re oxygenating.
If you don't beleive me un do any S/S bolt and look at the threads, half the time there eaten out, and you won't be able to use them again.