PDA

View Full Version : Motor hydraulics

ovakil
15-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Not sure what to call it,last couple of weeks when I have my boat at home I leave the engine down a few inches above the ground to let water out,look at it the next day & bottom of motor is resting on the ground.Checked it a few times & does the same.At the moment I've trimmed motor up & resting on support bar.Is this an easy fix?
Thanks

Spaniard_King
15-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Ovakill.

No trim unit will be an easy fix regardless of the problem.

Firstly can you find any sign of a leak?? Only needs to be the smallest of weeps!

Fish Guts
15-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Garry,

got a question. our boats moored, and went down there last week and noticed the starboard engine had dropped about an inch from where we leave it ( always left full tilt up with only about an inch of the gear case in the water, and intakes all out of the water) resulting in the crank case and prop half submereged, for about a week. im positive it would never be left like that, could it be a seal going in the hydralulics or would it have been down lower than that (in the water) if this was the cause ?

Roughasguts
15-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Might just need a bit of an air bleed and top up with fluid.

griz066
15-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Garry,

got a question. our boats moored, and went down there last week and noticed the starboard engine had dropped about an inch from where we leave it ( always left full tilt up with only about an inch of the gear case in the water, and intakes all out of the water) resulting in the crank case and prop half submereged, for about a week. im positive it would never be left like that, could it be a seal going in the hydralulics or would it have been down lower than that (in the water) if this was the cause ?

Maybee it was high tide when you cme back.;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Sorry;D ;D ;D

ovakil
16-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Ovakill.

No trim unit will be an easy fix regardless of the problem.

Firstly can you find any sign of a leak?? Only needs to be the smallest of weeps!

I'll have look over weekend?
Motor is a 175 mariner (1996 model)

Spaniard_King
16-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Garry,

FG, trim units drop for a reason.. usually a leak of some sort. If your rig is in the water 24/7 you would expec t that it will need some work every 3-4 years.. usually seals and trim rods but the tilt rod could also be an issue. these are all repair by replacement..and not cheap.. usually they give the repairer some greif if they are in the water 24/7 too:o

ovakil
19-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Had a look for a leak,couldn't find one.not to say there isn't.May have to take it to get looked at.:(

Noelm
20-05-2008, 10:23 AM
yep, time to break out the wallet, not always expensive, but it can be, I guess you have tried the obvious and checked the Oil level? and does the trim make any odd sounds when it is operating? they make a squealing sort of sound when they need OIL, both these things are unlikely, but try the easy stuff first.

ovakil
20-05-2008, 06:49 PM
yep, time to break out the wallet, not always expensive, but it can be, I guess you have tried the obvious and checked the Oil level? and does the trim make any odd sounds when it is operating? they make a squealing sort of sound when they need OIL, both these things are unlikely, but try the easy stuff first.

Full of oil,does make a noise when trimming,not a high pitch squealing.
I knew I should have bought a new motor instead of fixing powerhead on it :( .But as usual at the time didn't have funds.

Spaniard_King
20-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Ovakill,

Have you trie releasing the manul release screw and then re tightening it????

These screws do have a habbit of coming loose. this would cause the hydraulics to drop the engine as well.. Worth a go;)

ovakil
21-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Ovakill,

Have you trie releasing the manul release screw and then re tightening it????

These screws do have a habbit of coming loose. this would cause the hydraulics to drop the engine as well.. Worth a go;)

No I haven't.
That screw,is on side of motor?Looks like it is made of plastic with a flat blade screwdriver to undo.Can take photo tommorrow.

Roughasguts
21-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Yup that will be the air bleed I was talking about earlier.

But I dought it will do anything cause it is not making any air noise or cavitation noise.

Think you got a valve full of crud, that leaks a bit. Keep cycling up and down and replace the oil or trans fluid as go.

Cheers.

ovakil
22-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Any special way of doing that ?

Spaniard_King
22-05-2008, 06:03 PM
No I haven't.
That screw,is on side of motor?Looks like it is made of plastic with a flat blade screwdriver to undo.Can take photo tommorrow.

Ovakill, That screw is not the air bleed it's a manual release screw. trim the engine up as high as you can and then undo the screw so the engine falls to its lowes point. The tighten the screw "firmly" this may fix the problem.;)