PDA

View Full Version : Who has a horn in their boat?

onerabbit
15-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi all,
after a bit of discussion in a recent thread I just wondering how many people have a good, loud horn fitted in there boat, for safetys sake?

TimiBoy
15-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I have a compressed air horn in the grab bag

garman1
15-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I thought about it now for a while, thanks for the thread.... I am going to add it to the grab bag, better safe than sorry. Doesn't weigh much or take up much room either

Garry

PinHead
15-05-2008, 02:50 PM
came standard on the boat

ozscott
15-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I have a compressed air horn that you re-charge with a compressor - I have it near me when driving. Someone in an unlit Cat mored in the middle of a channel go to hear it one night at midnight from about 4 metres away from the stateroom window...I think he would say it was deafening :)

Cheers

dnej
15-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I am surprised it not compulsory,as a safety feature.
I installed one years ago,and have had an occasion to use it.
David

Angla
15-05-2008, 05:00 PM
I have just put one of those portable ones in the boat. Close at hand for any emergency, but not hidden away in the grab bag.
I think that it is one of those things you may need straight away.

Chris

leezor
15-05-2008, 05:11 PM
came standard on the boat

Me too, came standard with mine. Do any Australian boat manufacturers have them as standard?

Noiseworks
15-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I carry the compressed air type as well. Haven't had to use it yet, but after reading the other thread, I'm happy i have it sitting next to me.

Noiseworks

bassfanatic5
15-05-2008, 07:35 PM
My boat had one fitted as standard, i didn't know what this funny looking thing on the consol was untill i pushed the button on the dash, scared the crap out of me it's that loud.

PinHead
16-05-2008, 01:38 AM
the big question is: how many know when to use it and do you use it?
(and no need for the double entendres..could recite many myself)

Steve B
16-05-2008, 08:49 AM
the big question is: how many know when to use it and do you use it?
(and no need for the double entendres..could recite many myself)

Oooohh Pinhead....thats no fun;) :D :D

Seriously, that is a good question.

tigermullet
16-05-2008, 01:07 PM
To be serious for a moment - no, a horn is not fitted and we don't carry one of the compressed air types either.

I have forgotten the horn signals but my friend has not. A couple of months ago we gave a short blast to indicate that we were overtaking on the starboard side of a boat. All that produced was a startled look from the skipper and all the passengers started giving us the finger.

My psyche was so damaged that I am still recovering from the rude episode.;D

Horns used as an emergency warning device might be ok but I think their day to day use is finished. Good thing too, otherwise our crowded waterways would sound like the inner city areas of under-developed countries. In the end we wouldn't know who was giving a legitimate signal or even know who it was who was signaling.

Evenings are bad enough with little yappy dogs and spotlights being shone all over the place without adding horn signals.

Besides, I cannot resist joining in when others start using spotlights. If my spotlight can be found quickly enough, I start waving it around too. Horns would be worse, I would find them irresistible.

PinHead
16-05-2008, 01:11 PM
To be serious for a moment - no, a horn is not fitted and we don't carry one of the compressed air types either.

I have forgotten the horn signals but my friend has not. A couple of months ago we gave a short blast to indicate that we were overtaking on the starboard side of a boat. All that produced was a startled look from the skipper and all the passengers started giving us the finger.

My psyche was so damaged that I am still recovering from the rude episode.;D

Horns used as an emergency warning device might be ok but I think their day to day use is finished. Good thing too, otherwise our crowded waterways would sound like the inner city areas of under-developed countries. In the end we wouldn't know who was giving a legitimate signal or even know who it was who was signaling.

Evenings are bad enough with little yappy dogs and spotlights being shone all over the place without adding horn signals.

Besides, I cannot resist joining in when others start using spotlights. If my spotlight can be found quickly enough, I start waving it around too. Horns would be worse, I would find them irresistible.

I had the same happen TM..just laughed at the bloke. I did have another..at Horizon Shores..I had just untied my boat..was about to reverse out of berth..boat opposite was untying to do the same..still had one rope connected..gave the necessary 3 short balsts..he kept his last rope connected and gave a wave as I backed out and went on my way..made life very easy in that instance.

tigermullet
16-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Well, that shows that at least one other person knows the purpose of signals and does not get upset, through ignorance, and get all rude and offensive.

Good to hear about. Perhaps sound signals could be better explained at the licencing stage.

FNQCairns
16-05-2008, 03:43 PM
I have had my eye on this one although I have never heard one at work, it's the only type I can find a sensible place for .

Can anyone recommend it??

http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=productGroupView&dId=1&id=675&eId=10&sId=c7db2f6788d4410f4fbc4012f3d75e64

cheers fnq

TOPAZ
16-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi All,
The ColRegs do specify sound signals to be given at certain times and in certain circumstances - hence, by inference, a device with which to make those sound signals is necessary (e.g. Horn)
A brief summary:
ONE short blast - I am about to alter course to Starboard
TWO short blasts - I am about to alter sourse to Port
THREE short blasts - I am engaging astern propulsion
FIVE short blasts - indicating to another vessel that I am unsure of your
intentions.
A SHORT blast is one of 1-2 seconds duration.

It seems to me to be obvious that these signals should only be used if your course alteration is likely to affect another vessel.
Using them at every turn would be excessive to say the least!
More importantly are the sound signals for situations of poor visibility, such as FOG or heavy rain. These are many and varied, depending on whether you are under way or not etc. and involve signals at timed intervals such as every 60 seconds, which becomes rather complex.
I can't quote them all here - suggest a quick Google will find a mine of information!

Richard

p.s. Tigermullet - overtaking signals involve the appropriate direction signal )port or starboard), preceded by TWO LONG blasts (4-6 second duration) - imagine the reaction you would have got if your mate had got it totally correct!

R

onerabbit
16-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Some interesting replies, as well as some expected ones.

For you guys with your horn in your grab bag (trying not to encourage the "funny" comments), have you considered making some kind of clip or mount so it would be really accesible?
Emergencies can happen really fast, & usually when you dont expect them or aren't ready.

FNQ, I tried 3 in the shop before making my choice, the cheap one's were more suited to a dinky.
I paid around $50, not so much for the biggest, but the loudest.

As for what the horn signals mean,
as far as I knew, 1 long blast as a general warning
& 5 short ones....what are your intentions.

More than that, I have no idea.

Perhaps someone has a list of actual horn signals?

Muzz

onerabbit
16-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Thank you Topaz,
we must have been typing at the same time ;D ;D

Muzz

Greg P
16-05-2008, 07:02 PM
It is a requirement in NSW to have some sort of sound signal device

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safetyequipment.html#enclosed

I wonder what the status is for Qld boats operating in NSW waters as it is not required here as far as I know

onerabbit
16-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Good stuff Greg P,

I didn't know we were required to carry a waterproof torch night & day either.

Muzz

Davey1
16-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Sea Rays come with an electric horn mounted flush in the bow, not unlike me the first time I took mine out, operated by a button on the dash.

I read a while back a similar thread on a Sea Ray owners' forum where some owners were upgrading the factory electric item for big arsed air horns. One bloke had a twin horn set up he bought off ebay that was off a locomotive, another bloke had one off a semi trailer. One of them lurking under the bonnet of ya car would be funny - if it didn't blow the bonnet off! 8-)

Reel Nauti
18-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I think it would be a good thing at night to be able to give a vessel without nav/anchor lights a blast just to let him know. But that might be pointless as well given that you've already seen him.

Dave

snappa
18-05-2008, 06:52 PM
every time i go out in the boat..

jeffrey_h
18-05-2008, 07:42 PM
I have a hand held horn in the shelf next to the helm, at all times. A horn in the grab bag is like having airbags, in your car, in the glovebox.

A spotlight at the ready at night would be as important.

If you find a boat, esp big boat, bearing down on you, you need to react quickly.

It's not just for turn signals, imo.

Jeffrey

datamile
18-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I think it would be a good thing at night to be able to give a vessel without nav/anchor lights a blast just to let him know. But that might be pointless as well given that you've already seen him.

Dave

Hopefully a good surprise honk might make them drop the beer of the side and think about lights next time.

TimiBoy
19-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Good thread. Next time the ol' tub's in for some work, I'll have an air horn fitted. Having a hand operated one in the grab bag is a waste of time, and having it rattling around the helm station is a bugger, and putting a clip somewhere will be untidy!

Maybe a set of 5 to play a tune?;D;D;D