PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fishing Books?

Celestial_Teapot
15-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi folks,

Simple question what are your favorite fishing books and why?

To get us started two I have really enjoyed and keep going back to are:

Australian Fish and How to Catch Them - Richard Allan; full of great info for a beginner like me and a useful reference.

The River Cottage Fish Book - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and Nick Fisher; The best book I've seen on cooking fish NB it is a UK book so focuses on fish that can be caught off the British Isles but the recipes are easily adapted for Australian fish.

Very interested to hear what you like and perhaps add a few books to my reading list.

Cheers.

TimiBoy
15-05-2008, 08:50 AM
I have a copy of Grant's Guide to Fishes on order. It will be off the printer in 8 weeks or so. I asked a similar question some time ago, and received a consistent response that this was the best choice where fish ID was concerned.

Nic
15-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I like Phippsy's fishy cook books. Some great recipes in there, I particularly love the Cointreau prawns.

Lure Encyclopaedia isn't a bad read either.

Celestial_Teapot
15-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

youngy
16-05-2008, 07:56 AM
One of the most helpful fishing books would be HOOKED IN PARADISE, has everything a fisherman should know wheather your just learning or have been fishing all your life. cheers wayne.

Breambuster33
16-05-2008, 12:08 PM
i prefer the fishing mags....

Horse
16-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Oldies but goodies would be anything by Vic McCrystal. Pure gold

Scott nthQld
16-05-2008, 01:55 PM
I've had one since I was about 10, it was a birthday present from my grandfather, its called AUstralian fishing Guide (i think) and written by steve starling, I think its very good, from showing you what rigs and baits to use on what species, how to 'read' the water, and explanations on rock and beach fishing, sweetwater, and more, haven't opened it for a few years now, but it really helped me improve my fishing when I was a kid.

nufin_flash
16-05-2008, 02:30 PM
for anybody on the sunshine coast the must have book for anyone would be "river to reef" coveres everything that you need to know about fishing and is tailored to the sunshine coast , a must have

HST
16-05-2008, 06:10 PM
The Sportfisherman's Bible by John Turnbull

Mrs Ronnie H
16-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi
We have a realy old copy of Grants Guide to Fishes, I really like it.
Apart from that BNb and any fishin mag really.

Ronnie

RayDeR
17-05-2008, 10:25 AM
G'day!

I have a good number of fishing books but I picked up a "Grant's Fishes of Australia" for a couple of dollars at a Salvo Thrift Shop. It is a 1991 edition but basic fish have not evolved much since then.

I find thrift shops - Salvos, Lifeline, Vinnies, etc, etc good hunting places for hobby books. The local charity shop is probably worth looking at too as the little old ladies do the pricing and have no idea of book values. Salvos,
Lifeline etc at least in Brisbane region are probably priced centrally at the big warehouse and would be dearer.

Ray de R

WyldFisher
17-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Trout Fishing Tatics by AFN (Australian Fishing Network).

freefish
17-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Have to agree that Vic McCristal is the best. Have got & read all his books & can remember reading his stories in magazines as far back as the 50's. Much is still relevant today

BigE
17-05-2008, 05:04 PM
my fishing log

you would be susprised at the patterns you can pick up on.

and the faithful old grants

BigE

polky
20-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Rich Huckslip guide to using your sounder, good reading. polky.

Nic
20-05-2008, 10:25 PM
'Rich Huckslip', nice. :) A mate of mine refers to Rick's combined works as 'The Adventures of Huck Stepp', which I think isn't bad either!

Jokes aside, I have to agree with you Polky -- it's a good, easy-to-read guide.

tenzing
20-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Grants for me too. Brendan

Mrs Ronnie H
25-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi all
I have just put in an order for the 11th edition Grants coming out in june/July. Apparently this one will beat the preceeding editions with more photos etc. Price is still the same and is available to order online if anyone is interested.

Ronnie

chief 1
25-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I like this book called The Fishing Bible,Alaistar McGlashan wrote it,it has all of the species,how they are caught etc,it has all the different types of tackle,rigs and knots,tips about keeping your rods and reels lasting longer and at the back it has a bunch of recipes.

FNQCairns
25-05-2008, 10:29 AM
I have been waiting for the 11th grants since around nov last year, gave up and bought a secondhand one on ebay just a couple of days ago, still want the 11th, it is way overdue but should be a cracker of a bible when it finally makes the shelves.
One of the good things with grants is he uses bugger all rubbish fish as a filler -everything in it you may probably catch if fishing their range, a couple of books I have mix rubbish fish (aquarium, pretty tourist fishes) in with the rec species.

cheers fnq

hooknose
25-05-2008, 07:33 PM
" The Saltwater Angler " by Wal Hardy, an oldy but a goody.

RayDeR
25-05-2008, 09:13 PM
G'day!

I have previously mentioned Grant's "Fishes of Australia" as the most useful book I have.

Two other books which I find helpful while not strictly "fishing books" have helped me enjoy the fishing environment are "Wild Guide to Moreton Bay" (Noosa to the Tweed) and "Wildlife of Greater Brisbane". These are publications of Queensland Museum and are most useful for identifying creatures wanting to share my space.

I found them great for introducing my grandkids to fishing and its environment.

Ray De R