PDA

View Full Version : fishing yabba creek

shubeej
14-05-2008, 09:26 PM
hi guys , going up to island reach camping ground in a couple of weeks just after a bit of a run down of what i could expect to try & catch on yabba creek .have never even tried fresh water fishing but i thought while where there give it a try might even get converted .
thanks in advance
shubeej:)

tazzydevil
15-05-2008, 03:38 PM
try unweighted shrimp

gunna
17-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I was there a few weeks back - its a lovely spot. Not a real lot of bank area to fish. A lot of the bank is lined with long grass. There would be eels and tortoises. I had an unconfirmed report that it had been stocked with bass. One of the other campers threw a lure around. Reckoned he had a follow but no strike. Let us know if any fish are caught - I would be interested.

shubeej
17-05-2008, 08:07 PM
thanks tazzy & gunna , i reckon i will give bait & lures ago might dig some earth worms from home & take as well, tazzy do you reckon that you could catch shrimp with a trap there ?and gunna could you recomend any particular spot at island reach to book?
thanks again
shubeej

BrandonH
17-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey mate, been awhile since I was there but we caught a few fish from the creek in front of our camp;) (un-powered site, wasn't any defined "sites" when we went) There was long grass and a good drop to the creek but I was able to get down a section to grab the below stonker Silver Pearch the misses caught on a live shrimp under a float!! Also watched a guy drop a decent yellow belly on a purple poltergeist lure down near the little creek mouth. I managed a tiny toga on an unweighted plastic on another day also;D One thing I love about this place other than how close it is to Broumba is that you can camp with your dog!!;D;D

We were there around Christmas (2 years ago:'() so not sure how you would go in winter. There should be bass in the system (due to overflow) and I was told that there is also a few Mary River cod lurking around in the creek.

Little toga (he swam off without a problem:))
http://members.optusnet.com.au/bjh79/images/BorumbaSaratoga1.jpg

Sliver Pearch (I need to teach her how to hold a fish for a pic::), would have been close to 6lb, check out how thick it is!!!!).
http://members.optusnet.com.au/bjh79/images/ZoesBorumbaSilver.jpg

Our Vista
http://members.optusnet.com.au/bjh79/reflection.JPG

There is a little creek that enters yabba creek to the right of the above shot that should hold as many shrimp as you need for a fish too;) This corner of the creek is VERY deep and that dead tree is in a perfect spot;D

Let me know how you go up there when you get back, would love to know if anything has changed since I was last there.

Cheers
Brandon...

shubeej
18-05-2008, 07:09 PM
thanks brandon , thanks a lot for the feedback & pics ,got the blood pumpin would be awsome to catch a silver perch that size ,how did you catch the shrimp ?
thanks shubeej

BrandonH
18-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Shubeej,

I was using 2 home made shrimp pot to do the trick, but those rectangular pots with the small entry will work well:) As far as bait goes just about anything will work, I was using 2 pieces of bread and a secret extra added that I don't want to post here:-X If you wish to know what I use send me a PM.

Make sure if your leaving your traps in during the day that you empty the fish out before night:-[ I caught heaps of rainbow fish and other small natives during the day. When I checked the pots after the first night I was nearly sick:'( Every fish that was in the trap was dead or nearly dead thanks to the Marauding shrimp that came during the night.

Cheers
Brandon...