PDA

View Full Version : Possible to fish from a sea kayak??

Fly Fisher
14-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking of getting a sea kayak (see: http://challengekayaksaustralia.com/breeze.html) (http://challengekayaksaustralia.com/breeze.html%29), and I'm wondering if it would be possible to fish off-shore and land a decent fish from such a boat (e.g. a 10lb snapper). It looks like some sea kayakers do this sort of thing in the northern hemisphere, but they tend to keep the dead fish on a rope over the side (not a good plan here!). Ummmmm.

Anyone tried this sort of fishing?

ifishcq1
14-05-2008, 05:13 PM
There is a couple of good articles in Qfm I'll see if I can find them .. One of our good friends Lenny now departed used to paddle his surf ski out at palm beach to the gravel patch get a few spots, dogs or spannoes then paddle back any time the macks were around
Scott

foggy
14-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Here's my rig. Best fish to date is a 93cm snapper. It is very possible to land a good fish and a lot of fun. I put an electic motor on mine because I am buggered if I am going to paddle on my days off.

Foggy

death_ship
14-05-2008, 07:39 PM
do ya take a paddle just in case?

ar-we-ther-yet
14-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Most fish from sit on top kayaks as there more stable and its easier to land fish that way. I suppose you could use a sea kayak if you want.

foggy
14-05-2008, 09:29 PM
do ya take a paddle just in case?

Yes, definatley.

Foggy

Brett1907
26-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Just watched a DVD with guys in the USA catching Thresher sharks on kayaks. Now thats just mad.

I'm thinking of going down to the Southport Sportfishing club this Thursday, the Gold Coast Kayak Fishing Club (I think thats the name) is having a meeting there at 6:30pm.

Brett

Craig-AO
30-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi Brett

Just wanted to clarify the club details..........the kayak fishing club is not just a Gold Coast club, at least half of our members are Brisbane based. The club is known as the East Coast Kayak Fishing Club www.eckfc.com (http://www.eckfc.com) It has just started up, but growing rapidly, new members would be more than welcome!! The next club trip is a weekend on Bribie Island......check it out if interested.

Craig

Brett1907
30-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks Craig. Sorry I didn't make it last night, I didn't finish work untill after 6 and had to pick up the kids. When is the next meeting?

Brett

Celestial_Teapot
31-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Do you ever have Brisbane based meetings - if you do I might be interested.

Gigantor
11-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Fly Fish,

As already suggested. Sit On Top's are much better for storage & fishing, as you can put so much more on top. Where as sit-in kayaks have limited space and are generally more narrow.

I've seen sit-on-top kayaks with large eskies mounted on the rear which doesn't affect the stability. Also sit-on-tops have inner-hull storage areas that you can slide the fish into, which will keep them cool on the run home.

Have a look around. Most kayak retailers will allow you to take demo on their yaks so you can see what suits you the best.

Cheers, Pete