PDA

View Full Version : The Ausfish Yak ?????

webby
14-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Just wondering when the Ausfish Yak Duo are going to launch, would love to be there for the launch and a few laughts:-X

PinHead
14-05-2008, 12:31 PM
ditto..but I won't say any more as I might get banned.
No need to laugh..as I said before, it is quite impressive the items they fit in a little boat. I do doubt that my fat butt would fit in the seat.

Ausfish
15-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Maybe Sunday, and no you will not be invited :)

PinHead
16-05-2008, 01:30 AM
bugger..not going fishing now due to weather forecast...could have done lunch and watched the launch and maiden voyage.

Tangles
16-05-2008, 06:53 AM
no doubt Greg as well as lunch you would have a tow rope packed?

webby
16-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I was going to bring a video , and film things not to do ????
I wonder who is going to be the stroke player ???

Lucky_Phill
16-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I reckon a quickie across " south Passage bar " could give it a good workout ?

You'll get to find out how stable it really is....::) :o :o

Ausfish
16-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Here is a sneek peek

Just waiting for SWMBO to tell me what colour

mod5
16-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Where is the live bait tank, the fish finder, the rod holders and the leccy motor ;D ;D ;D ;D

dogsbody
18-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Here is a sneek peek

Just waiting for SWMBO to tell me what colour

That color is orange and is at Bribie right now! Busted!

Dave.

Ausfish
18-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Gees, can't get away with anything

Dropped into Nudgee on the way home and did the maiden voyage

Didn't take the rods, just went for a test paddle, or should I say Peddle for about an hour.

To sum it up - BRILLIANT

imnotoriginal
18-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Looks nice Steve, will we be seeing a report of the first fish next weekend?????
Joel

Ausfish
18-05-2008, 08:49 PM
No fishing next weekend - Seafood & Soul next weekend

Kasey Chambers, Seafood and Cold Beer. Can it get any better...

http://www.seafoodandsoul.com.au/

Foxy4
19-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Sure looks good Steve. You are one up on me that's for sure. Enjoy and hope to see some good fish reports from you soon...

webby
19-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Will stick out like a red buoy, so no need to worry about being run down.
Wondering who gets the front navigation seat ?????,

Ausfish
20-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Where is the live bait tank, the fish finder, the rod holders and the leccy motor ;D ;D ;D ;D

Live bait tank is available, might pass on it at this stage.

Will be adding the GPS and fish finder later.

There are two forward and two aft rod holders.

Don't need a leccy motor as you have the mirage drive
http://www.hobiecat.com.au/images/penguinlogo_100.jpg http://www.hobiecat.com.au/images/flippers_2b.gif

This way both hands are free for fishing

Here is a couple of clips that explains it better

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YOb5l24WUGs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UAPLD7Q2NR4

Pleanty of accessories available for fishing as well
http://www.hobiecat.com.au/fishing/catalogues.html

Will stick out like a red buoy, so no need to worry about being run down.
Wondering who gets the front navigation seat ?????,

Went for the orange for that reason. Can't trust these boaties in their big red fire trucks :)

I get to sit at the back, thats were the steering controls are. As long as I do as I'm told there are no arguments :)

PinHead
20-05-2008, 05:10 PM
taking it to the Touchy M&G??? I am sure we could get you a tow to where you want to fish.

Dunks
20-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Nice choice Steve. I have recently upgraded from an Espri to an outback and I am very happy with it. Your outfitter is basically the same hull as mine. I had it out in 30kn winds on Wivenhoe the other day and I was extrememly happy with it's performance. It easily kept up with my two mates in their electric powered canoe on it's fastest speed.

Scalem
24-05-2008, 06:01 AM
taking it to the Touchy M&G??? I am sure we could get you a tow to where you want to fish.

With the price of fuel lately, Steve might be the one doing the towing! ;D Start a business!!;D AF ON WATER TOWING SERVICES;D ;D

Are the Hobies tiring to paddle or do you need to be fit?

Scalem

Ausfish
24-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Are the Hobies tiring to paddle or do you need to be fit?

Scalem

Have only used the peddles at this stage. you just peddle at walking pace and it is plenty fast enough. Might try the paddles this weekend just to see how it feels. But really, there is no need to paddle. It also means your hands are not free for fishing if you paddle.

Scalem
24-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Have only used the peddles at this stage. you just peddle at walking pace and it is plenty fast enough. Might try the paddles this weekend just to see how it feels. But really, there is no need to paddle. It also means your hands are not free for fishing if you paddle.

Thanks Steve,

My fault, I am confusing paddling with peddling. What I meant to ask was how much effort does it take to use your legs as opposed to using your arms? Now I know the obvious ans is how fast do you want to go, but I am thinking against a tidal flow in a river, in some places you might become exhausted to counter the flow of the tide, just to keep going forward. Sorry for the q's, but I always entertained getting one, and now I see many like Foggy catching nice fish from Yaks, and there's the fitness aspect to paddling around....... Love the idea!!! Love to see your rig on the water one day.

Scalem

jez and suze
24-05-2008, 09:47 AM
do ya have to sing like that aswell?

Ausfish
26-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Knocked off early Saturday and went for a spin around Raby Bay.

Put in at the Raby Bay ramp and peddled into the canals. Using Eileen's phone we were doing 4km/h peddling at walking pace. Fluctuated from 3 to 4km/h for about 1 1/2 hours with no problem. This is just using her phone with the navigation on so it is not to the decimal, will take the GPS next time.

Tried the paddles and it was pretty annoying, getting wet, a lot more effort, etc. Went back to the peddles fairly quickly. Maybe I need more practice and a better technique, maybe I will just stick to the peddles.

If you want to try out a twin I will be at the Touchy M&G on Sunday, feel free to give mine a test run.

Fitzy
26-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Great to see you two getting into yakking. Now you'll have to come back to some of those spots I've taken you to in the boat, but in the yak now.

Will give you a race up the river... Me paddling the Prowler, you 2 peddling the Hobie Mirage. :D

You tend to appreciate the location more when you're at water level. Catching a fish is a bonus.

Cheers,

fitz..

Lucky_Phill
09-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I might take you up on the offer Steve. See you at the M & G.

Phill

ar-we-ther-yet
09-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks Steve,

My fault, I am confusing paddling with peddling. What I meant to ask was how much effort does it take to use your legs as opposed to using your arms? Now I know the obvious ans is how fast do you want to go, but I am thinking against a tidal flow in a river, in some places you might become exhausted to counter the flow of the tide, just to keep going forward. Sorry for the q's, but I always entertained getting one, and now I see many like Foggy catching nice fish from Yaks, and there's the fitness aspect to paddling around....... Love the idea!!! Love to see your rig on the water one day.

Scalem

Scalem paddling against a tidal flow and or wind can be hard work. I've paddled along the Burrum river against a 3.5mtr tide plus 20kt winds, as well as along the Bulwer drop offs in full flight.....very hard to get anywhere, but you just keep going or stop in at shore and wait for the tide to slow. Just your normal tides and wind under 15kts is fine.

Nice Yak mr Ausfish.:)

webby
14-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Today would be a good day for a true workout, with some stealth fishing .
Just get in gregs wake for a water parting ride to our meet up point ????

Ausfish
16-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Was thinking about taking it down to the pin for a fish but was a bit cold Saturday night. Took the soft option and fished out of Greg's boat.