PDA

View Full Version : lure options on tilapia

arashsamali
14-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi all , first time threader, long time reader :D
wanted advice from all you knowledgeable folk regarding your lure experiences with public enemy no.1 Tilapia ( after carp,gold fish ..tilapia seems to be the flavor of the day)!
Now i know you'll want to barrage me with bread, worms, maggots on a float being best options; but i want to get more into lure and plastics fishing as I am having more and more success on in salt watersoft plastics then i have ever had with bait. (go the Berkley shrimp)

on holidays early in year had a trip to lillian rock nth nsw and fished at crams farm (a flooded farm stocked with bass, perch ets) and got my first bass ever (35cm) on an imitation jackal lure so lures and soft plastics for me.

so please give ur knowledge and experiences to this eager angler ::)

Little grey men
14-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Had a look at this a little while ago, about the only thing I came up with was they sometimes hit little in line spinners. One bloke in Florida was putting tiny worms on the treble of his spinner to get them.
The only one I've ever hooked on a lure was foul hooked in the back.
Surely they'd go for a smallish plastic....I've tried curly tail grubs and other bream sized placcies with no joy:-/ Gotta be something out there....have a look at the Jackall worms that are "flick shaked", they look great. Might be hard to source though. And probably cost a million bucks.

Whitto
14-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi all , first time threader, long time reader :D
wanted advice from all you knowledgeable folk regarding your lure experiences with public enemy no.1 Tilapia ( after carp,gold fish ..tilapia seems to be the flavor of the day)!
Now i know you'll want to barrage me with bread, worms, maggots on a float being best options; but i want to get more into lure and plastics fishing as I am having more and more success on in salt watersoft plastics then i have ever had with bait. (go the Berkley shrimp)

on holidays early in year had a trip to lillian rock nth nsw and fished at crams farm (a flooded farm stocked with bass, perch ets) and got my first bass ever (35cm) on an imitation jackal lure so lures and soft plastics for me.

so please give ur knowledge and experiences to this eager angler ::) I won't barrage you with what bait, personally if it were legal Im thinking a precussion hook (I think thats how u spell it).......Whitto;D

murrayscod
14-05-2008, 09:26 AM
have caught them on a silver fox squidgy fish 65mm i think at wivenhoe.

murrayscod
14-05-2008, 09:27 AM
have caught them at wivenhoe on a 65mm squidgy fish in silver fox colour.

BrandonH
14-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I reckon the best place to start is some form of plastic worm. When I use to only bait fish I have sat on the bank at NPD with my dad catching one after the other on live garden worms.. This Asian guy fishing next to us was quite happy!! he saw us throwing them up the bank and asked if he could keep them, ended up putting his rod away then sitting on the esky reading the paper!!! lol

The bigger ones put up a very good fight too;)

cheers
Brandon...

arashsamali
14-05-2008, 05:08 PM
thanks guys, i was thinking something like a berkley gulp blood worm, or those little grub thingies.

BR65
14-05-2008, 06:54 PM
I won't barrage you with what bait, personally if it were legal Im thinking a precussion hook (I think thats how u spell it).......Whitto;D

lol whitto, Im guessin those are the hooks that go BOOOM;D