PDA

View Full Version : Boat Storage Options

Whiley_Whiting
13-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi

Looking at storage options for boats in Brisbane, as I live in the inner city yard size is limited and a boat in the back yard is not an option.

Does anyone know of boat storage places in Brisbane?

tigermullet
13-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Not in Brisbane but Maa's Marina at Cabbage Tree is close. They are neighbours of Horizon Shores.

I don't know if they have any vacancies and it is old world but full of character. The place grows on you. We had very good years as clients. Gordon and Barbara are great when you get to know them.

They are just great - we had a lot of help from them and the launching ramp is first rate without any current or cross wind problems at all.

sharkymark2
14-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Down at Manly they have some hardstand for rent. I havent got any numbers but maybe some members could help you with that.

PADDLES
14-05-2008, 01:26 PM
if northside is more your scene whiley, the private ramp down whiting street at beachmere does storage too, i saw a flyer up at the shops yesterday that said storage was from $50 a month with use of their ramp included. mind you i wouldn't bother using their ramp if you've got a big boat, but the public one is just around the corner.

Ocean_Spirit
14-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Going through the same research process as yourself, and there are really limited options in the Brisbane area. I've almost exhausted the options.

Despite a shortage of available space, most storage yards only have 'outdoor' open air storage yards, still asking around $150 - $200 per month, and the places that do have internal storage bays are asking anywhere from $300 - $500 per month. What's the point of paying all that money just to leave the boat in someone elses yard with no permanent cover? The cost of enclosed bays is just huge money to throw away just on storage, and simply unaffordable.

The closed storage bays apparently command a much higher Insurance Premium for vehicles and boats as they are carrying fuel and there is an increased risk of fire.

With no real options at home, it makes it very tough to find anywhere suitable. The best option is to have the boat covered and enclosed, as the elements do take their toll and put year's on your pride and joy.

I came across this great set-up in the Whitsundays - now if only someone with a smart business mind and some money would duplicate this concept in a few suburbs in Brisbane, I'm sure they would have full occupancy year round. Given that Horizon Shores trailerboat storage bay is consistenly full (it is covered but open air), and the number of trailerboats in Brisbane sitting in front-yards and around marinas, I'm sure many boat owner's in Brisbane would welcome a well-run, professional and secure fully covered boat storage facility.

www.boatel.com.au (http://www.boatel.com.au)

copie
14-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Firstly i recently sold my home situated on the southside on 10acres that i had intended to offer both boat and caravan storage at around $9 per week. (my idea come from the storage i use in hervey bay). Another idea that has been bought to my attention is to rent a commerical shed in the outer suburbs (as there quite a few avalaible) large enough for 4,5,6 boats etc. and share the rent with others. This could be very convenient as repairs and maintanance could also be done there instead of at home 24/7.

Dirtysanchez
15-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Copie, I had a similar idea.. but just a hard stand yard that was up the road from my work, but either way, it has merit. I looked into all this myself a while back and gave up. Bribie has a rack system, too dear, Shorncliffe has the Yacht club, not so dear, but some restrictions and waiting list so no go.
Rang that Rivergate one on the south side of the Brissy river, no racks yet, only limited hard stand, and top dollar.

I agree too that a lot of these storage places are over the top in price.
I had considered renting a vacant lot off someone, say a few acres, putting a shed on it, some water supply etc, and renting it as hard stand storage for boats and caravans. Lock the gate behind you with a friendly rottwieler on residence :D

AnthonyL
15-05-2008, 11:58 PM
http://timaltass.com/index2.php?actionid=11&keyword=&limit=5&set=1&offset=15&type=

Ref: 0892
$60 / week

WYNNUM ROAD, NORMAN PARK

lBED: 0 l BATH: 0 l CAR: 2 l PETS: No l</U>
Super Sized Storage! 2 car garage space available for lease. Approximate dimensions - 4 meters wide and 12 meters deep. Extra space on the side at the rear. Mezzanine floors are negotiable. Situated in a brand new complex with easy access. Very secure too - remote access to complex and remote roller doors. Ideal for boats, trailers, cars, or just freeing up some space around the home.
Available 24/05/2008

Didley
16-05-2008, 11:29 AM
How does right at the boat ramp at Scarborough sound, at about $50-60 a week , Whiley_Whiting. PM me If U want to know more (anybody). Yes it's for real

Ocean_Spirit
24-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Any updates guys or any other ideas? The shed above would have been perfect, but was not available.

sheridan
24-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Carbrook boat ramp had storage inside a fenced area $12.oo a week i think but you store at your own risk there were a few boats being stored there if i get time tomorrow i will check it out

Geoff

White Pointer
24-09-2008, 11:20 PM
G'day,

The replies to this original post suggests there are lots of boat storage problems. It seems to me that a practical solution would be a co-op of owners leasing an industrial shed close to their favourite launching place, putting in a back to base security system and installing pass key ID access to disable the security and allow access.

I'm looking at building a secure shed for my boat at home plus one car with some workshop space and it's going to be a $50k+ day out. That's a lot of insurance.

Anybody interested in doing a feasibility study in Redcliffe (say in the Clontarf industrial estate) to see what the costs and insurance implications might be? I'll do the work but I have to know if there is enough interest to calculate monthly rental costs and capital outlay.

For discussion.

White Pointer

Ocean_Spirit
25-09-2008, 10:19 AM
There is really nothing around in Brisbane, with storage filled, and no real 'under cover' facilities around to accomodate 15" - 25" boats.

Nice covered set-up, big shed, security and insurance with access restrictions. People would be prepared to pay $50 - $80 week. With everyone living in more confined places, and restricted for storage, this is a growing problem.

sheridan
25-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Went to Carbrook today to check out the storage i was wrong its not $12.oo a week its $15.oo a week there were a few nice boats there and all sizes one 35 to 40 ft long there was also a caravan so security can't be too bad forgot to say it is dry storage on a trailer

Geoff

White Pointer
25-09-2008, 10:50 PM
There is really nothing around in Brisbane, with storage filled, and no real 'under cover' facilities around to accomodate 15" - 25" boats.

Nice covered set-up, big shed, security and insurance with access restrictions. People would be prepared to pay $50 - $80 week. With everyone living in more confined places, and restricted for storage, this is a growing problem.

Agree. This is not about tinnies and runabouts but about boats at around $100K+ to replace so the insurance value is $1M for 10 and you can do the math from there. Smaller and less expensive boats get in at the same fee because they consume a bay and have the same rights and privileges.

More feedback, please.

White Pointer

PinHead
26-09-2008, 02:19 AM
Not as inexpensive as some would like to think..I lease a shed for my business...only 110 sq m..took ages to find one available...it is at Brendale and costs $1400 / month. Only room to fit 2 trailer boats in there.

Storeman
06-01-2012, 10:37 PM
I came across these old posts ... Is there still a demand for boat storage places - I'm looking into opening a business storing boats and caravans in undercover storage - just looking into locations between Gold Coast and Bribie ... Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Storeman
11-01-2012, 04:02 PM
I've had lots of private messages sent - seems to be lots of interest for storage ... Please continue to contact me
Regards Storeman

willisdavidson
10-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Many of National Storage's storage facilities are set-up for boat storage. This website lists all of their boat-ready Brisbane centres convienently in one place and you can easily request quotes:

www.selfstoragechoice.com.au/StorageFinder/Boat+Storage+Brisbane.aspx (http://www.selfstoragechoice.com.au/StorageFinder/Boat+Storage+Brisbane.aspx)

And you can also look up boat storage in other capital cities from the homepage, just by typing "boat" in the search box at the top-right.

www.selfstoragechoice.com.au (http://www.selfstoragechoice.com.au/)

pipifin
11-03-2013, 09:32 AM
I came across these old posts ... Is there still a demand for boat storage places - I'm looking into opening a business storing boats and caravans in undercover storage - just looking into locations between Gold Coast and Bribie ... Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone on, or visiting the Sunshine Coast, with a similar problem as I would like to study the feasibility of the idea up here.