PDA

View Full Version : jigging

snapper napper
13-05-2008, 06:36 PM
i was wondering if someone could help me with jigging?, i was thinking of giving jigging ago out at deep tempest/ shallow tempest, just wondering on colours, brands and the types of speices i might pickup?:-/

Frank OO
13-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Gidday Mate,

If you go to Jones's Tackle on Gympie Road Lutwich they have all the information. I have personally found the black and gold 300gm Sacrifice Stick to be the best for this area.

The speciers include Amberjack , Samson Fish, Yellow Tail Kingfish, Tuna, Pearl Perch and Snapper.

Frank OO

Keechie
13-05-2008, 08:19 PM
hi, what i have heard is 200g spanyid raiders if you remove the rear trebles and attach a single circle hook to the top of the lure you can use that to jig. i cannot remember where i saw it but there was plenty of samson fish and giant trevally taking it, although they did not hook up every hit the only lost 1 fish once hooked up due to where the hook is placed.

regards,
keechie

chief 1
13-05-2008, 08:28 PM
that was Ifish Keechie

snapper napper
13-05-2008, 08:44 PM
thanks for that frank, will jigging work throughout winter? at colours work well with snapper pearl perch and kingies

Frank OO
14-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Hi "SN",
Jigging will work all year, especially in the deeper areas like Deep Tempest.

All colours will work and almost any type of flashy metal will work but I use the Sacrifice Stick because of the action of the lure.

They are pretty expensive but you can get other brands a lot cheaper from BCF ready made. Sacrifice Sticks are about $30.00 each and then you have to buy the hooks and Split rings.

Just get out there and give it a go but make sure you jig when the fish are showing otherwise you will become a very fit person without any fish for your efforts.

Frank OO

Lucky_Phill
14-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi Frank,

You say the Sacrifice Sticks have a ' action '. I use River2Sea jigs, and was unaware of an action. I like the 200 -300 gm models.

From what you are saying, the Scarifice brands have a different profile than others or at least have a more pronounced profile ??? :-/

I will be heading out to the sunny coast soon and will baitfish the shallower stuff before heading out wider ( 75mtrs plus ledges ) to " exercise ". I have been using a 15-24kg hastings fast taper stick with a big Diawa, 80lb braid and about 10 mtrs of Penn 10X 80 - 100lb. How's my rig... ? It does the job so I am happy with it.

Cheers Phill

ooglie74
14-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Frank knows about the "workout" part of it he had some great exercise is 150mtr a few weeks ago.The jigging part was hard enough let alone pull up ajs and kings from that depth.

Cheers Troy

Mr__Bean
14-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Lost 2 good jigs weekend before last when good size fish pulled me into the reef and cut the leader.

I had 80lb leader and couldn't turn them before being cut-off.

I was at Jones tackle this morning picking up another couple of jigs/ rings/ hooks etc ($115 later :'( ), the guy there recommended 150lb leader for reef jigging.

He also explained that if you pay for the better quality jigs then a quick retrieve is less important.

- Darren

Frank OO
14-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Well done Phil, If it works keep doing it.

Good Evening All,

This is why I joined Ausfish. Believe it or not I actually don"t know it all. In fact I know "B" all compared to many others on this forum.

The beauty of this forum is that you can try to help people with your knowledge. When other people offer their advice it also gives me an opportunity to learn from others. I can only comment on what I know otherwise I would not be helping. You see I actually know that almost anything will work hence I added the following:

All colours will work and almost any type of flashy metal will work but I use the Sacrifice Stick because of the action of the lure.

They are pretty expensive but you can get other brands a lot cheaper from BCF ready made.

As far as action is concerned, you can actually reverse the jig in shallow water so that the jig flutters more on the way up which gives you a better opportunity to attract your fish.

It was only last year that Ben (My fishing partner) used a home made jig and it worked just fine.

Just get out there and give it a go. Anything works.

I have added a few photos as added incentive.

Frank OO

Outsider1
14-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks Frank,

gotta love that grinner shot!!. Reminds me of the frog hanging onto the bird's throat (never give up!)!

Cheers

Dave

skipalong
15-05-2008, 07:49 PM
nice what is the shallowest you can use them

KiWi_625
16-05-2008, 03:04 PM
hi all
cant offer any help but was just wondering what happened to the mangaled jig in one of frank 00 pictures???

cheers kiwi