PDA

View Full Version : Hartley Vixen 33 timber

Razgo-
13-05-2008, 05:35 PM
This is my new boat I am in the process of buying. Specifically suited for my wife and I. Given my wifes disability this was the best boat after looking for many months. The cabin area was important for space and wheelchair etc....

And I didn't want to have to modify too much on a boat to get it the way I wanted it. So this one has come up trumps and for under $30K was a bargain.

It's main use will be the broadwaters and bay area.

It's technically not a Hartley as i have spoken to colin brookes and he has told me it is a copy with similarities. But for the purpose of identification its a hartley vixen.

Sorry about the sound and background noses. For some reason I had trouble removing sound so i just uploaded as is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V4zNOT2Oc0

Angla
13-05-2008, 06:08 PM
She looks a beaut. I would say it has seen a good life and has plenty of character, and now you can continue to give it a leisurely life on the waterways.

I hope it serves you both well

Did I see Rum Runner on the stern. What is behind that. I had a 5.2 metre Coxcraft Rumrunner some years ago. Is there a connection or is it just a name.

Chris

Razgo-
13-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi Chis, not 100% sure. I do believe however the name "rum runner" was quite popular and used by many.

It was built in Sydney 1970 by a Peter Muiler professionally built. Still waiting on the paperwork to clarify that.

The boat was on the last Bay Cruiser run also so it had just been to southport and back.

It has a real nice warm feel on it when you board and it's hard to wipe the smile of your face when your on it. It simply has that effect on you.

Of course you have to like timber and I do very much so.
I will be removing that swim deck he added and putting something i feel is more appropriate and also adding davits so i can lift up the rubber duckie on the rear.

russ

Razgo-
31-05-2008, 08:47 AM
It's still a mystery to me what it is now. The surveyor put it down as a "New Tide Song". The broker put it down as a Vixen but he original owner said he thought it was a Vindex.

I emailed Colin Brookes from "Hartley & Brookes Associates" and he stated clearly it is not one of any known Hartley designs.

so maybe it is a Vindex?

Mister
31-05-2008, 09:20 AM
It is certainly not a VIXEN which was a 20 deg 17 footer, it is not a NEW TIDE SONG either which were 27 footers unless it was lengthened but with different lines.

It does have all the lines of a hartley NEW HARMONY MARKII, same hull lines, same cabin structure with a bit cut off the back. 33 foot, 12 foot beam, 3 foot 6 draft.

Razgo-
31-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Mister, what year was the the new harmony markII built? I am only assuming now this one is 1970 as i have too much conflicting information. It is possible it was lengthened.

The beam is 3.04meters draft 0.88meters

johnny roger
31-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Very nice mate. and good footage too.
John

Razgo-
31-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Just went up their tonight to check on any water in the hull after all this rain. Bloody forward bilge pump doesn't work and nice and full of water. engine bay/stern is ok though. So have to get bilge pump tomorrow morning from BCF probably and back up to Bribie to drain her out.

Mister
03-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi Mister, what year was the the new harmony markII built? I am only assuming now this one is 1970 as i have too much conflicting information. It is possible it was lengthened.

The beam is 3.04meters draft 0.88meters

Built anytime after the very early 70's. That beam and draft says it is a NEW TIDE SONG lengthened with a similar super structure to the New Harmony Mark II

Mtx
03-06-2008, 07:52 PM
either way, it is a beauty that I am sure you will enjoy. Good luck with it.

Razgo-
03-06-2008, 09:25 PM
What i thought was a noisy bearing turned out to be flogged out uni joints on the drive shaft. Never heard from the mechanic today at spinnaker sound marina who was supposed to fix it Monday but wasn't in and then was supposed to do it today but who knows they never rang me.

can't wait to get it out of that marina and down to horizon shores marina. They seem to be too unorganized up there for me. a bit of rain and they all go home.

Razgo-
24-06-2008, 07:59 AM
I should ask the mod to change my thread title to perhaps "my new timber boat" since i can't accurately identify it.

I am sure ausfish used to have a blog built into this forum somewhere but can't find it now?

I finally got the boat down to horizon shores marina (onshore marina workshop) last Thursday by a company called www.allboat.com.au at $130.00 an hr inc GST.

That was the safest method since i knew the shaft was flogged out even though the mechanic had installed new uni joints i took the safer road so to speak.

So this week the shaft will probably get replaced and anodes attached where needed and a new stern gland fitted. a couple other minor things and I hope to have it back in the water by the week-end.

Then i need to look at getting an electric roof davit fitted so i can lift my wife and wheelchair into the boat and then finally head out for some boating!

on-one
24-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Hi Razgo,

I've been thinking about the roof davit; the docks at horizon shores float so they're a constant height relative to the boat, could you get a side or rear door cut into the cockpit and use a passerelle? Might be easier than lifting your wife and her chair

Razgo-
24-06-2008, 12:47 PM
It's possible portside/stern entry but probably not wise to do structurally. I also thought of to brace an electric forward/reverse anchor winch on th engine cover to slowly pull the chair up and then down into the cabin via ramp.

height wise from side pontoon to boat isn't enough room for ramp and engine in the way at stern port side.

rear entrance ramp would give more room from the pontoon arm as its wider along the walkway.

but at the end of the day the roof davit may prove to be the best option without chopping up the sides or stern.

If i can brace a smal davit that can carry say 100KG or 150KG i can use it for the rubber duckie as well as wheelchair. so thats my thinking at the moment.

my wife would be almost 50KG now and wheelchair probably only 10-15KG.

A but more can be seen on this video. wheelchair can fit ok between engine cover and portside no worries. but still have to cut the kitchen back a bit for cabin entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V4zNOT2Oc0

Outsider1
24-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Razgo,

would be worthwhile giving Peter Webster, editor of F & B magazine, a call. He has done a lot of work with davits etc on their project boats and knows the ins and outs. I am sure he would be interested in your particular needs as well, and might be able to point you to some suitable suppliers.

Contact details on their Seamedia website;

http://www.seamedia.com.au/info/contact.php

Cheers

Dave

Razgo-
24-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi, thanks for that I will give him a ring.

Reel Nauti
24-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Razgo

It is really wonderful to read of the lengths you are going to to enable your wife the pleasure of using the boat. You really are to be commended on this. I have been a community care manager for many years and seen first hand how a physical disability can exlude an individual from even the simplest of lifes pleasures, and I have also seen people wind up in very undignifying situations through sincere efforts of carers and caregivers. I'm not suggesting the davit isn't a good idea, but may I suggest that given your wife's relatively light weight, she be physically lifted over the gunwhale by two people. Perhaps yourself and a friend. I just feel this may be the safest, and most dignified way of getting your wife aboard. That is only my opinion though and please don't think I'm belittling your thoughts on the davit. I'm happy to come and give you and another a 'manual handling' lesson to get her aboard, but I am technically not qualified, just experienced. Or, I can organise for you to have lessons from an endorsed instructor at no cost.

Just another option for you to consider mate that's all.

Cheers

Dave

Razgo-
24-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Dave, no worries. I am qualified by experience personally caring for my wife 24/7 since i left work in June 1996.

So no problems there. Usually i would simply carry her. It was only the fact we are on a body of water there was no room for error should i trip or whatever.

Yes when i have a friend around I would simply lift her in wheelchair straight in.

But given that i don't have friends handy when i will be going out I had to come up with another idea.

Ideally a cut out of the stern and ramp in would be perfect. But may not be practical for the boat. Have to wait for an engineer to check if it's possible.