PDA

View Full Version : Putting a $$$ tag on your boat?

Volcano
12-05-2008, 03:05 PM
So after being given the green light from SWMBO on an upgrade, my brain practically went into meltdown..

First on the list: sell my current pride and joy.
But how do you sensibly price your boat? take XYZ% off from you purchase price per year? add ZX% on for being in good nick and low hours? etc etc.

Looking at similar products the prices vary wildly (by about 10-15k in some cases)

I've added a few nice bits and pieces trim tabs/hydraulic steering/upgraded sounder etc etc to my 542f but I dont know how much to put on her.

Have you sold a boat? How did you price her? I dont want to give her away, but I'd like a quick sale. All advice taken!

(For the record, its a Haines Signature 542f with around 300 hours on a Yammy 115 4 stroke)

Cheers!

Blackened
12-05-2008, 03:49 PM
G'day

Run it down to a few of the local yards, and ask their opinion. May also be worth calling John Crawford marine, and see if you can get a general figure out of Matt, they deal in the second hand stuff exclusively, so should have a good idea.

Dave

Local_Guy
12-05-2008, 04:12 PM
write down all the specifics about your boat then jump on the trading post and boat point and see what others are selling their boat for.

base your price around that. remember to add a bit more because people will always barter u down and this way you'll get closer to what it's worth.

Kleyny
12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
throw some photos on the site and ask people here what its worth.
Nothing like asking the audiance you are try to sell it to.
i think there are some people here that deal in and around boats (like BM)
BM is always happy to help me with my boat quiries.
neil

boatboy50
12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey,

Here is a link to the cheapest 542F around.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5374862

It's on a new trailer and hasn't sold yet. It's been for sale for a little while now.

Most of them are well upwards of this price. But I doubt any of them are selling.

Yours has a better engine, and no antifoul. Work out your price from there.

Regards

Darren

disorderly
12-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Have you sold a boat? How did you price her? I dont want to give her away, but I'd like a quick sale. All advice taken!

Cheers!

IMO...we are entering a buyers market.
I have been thinking of upgrading to a 5.5/5.75m meter late model boat with a DI 2 stroke or 4 stroke...would prefer glass once we get a pontoon locally....I think I will hang on for another 12-18 months as I think rising fuel prices,interest rates and costs of living will(unfortunately) force the hand of many to give up owning a mid or larger sized boat....
Some interesting times ahead and with a softening economy if I were selling a boat at the moment I would price it to move ....cause i think it might be downhill from hereon ..http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Scott

FNQCairns
12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Heard tonight on the news (for what it's worth) that some house prices in sydney have near halved of late.... so agree with scott it's a buyers market and doubly hard to put a price on the boat you own, just dont take much notice of dealer offers, they will be low ball.

cheersf nq

boatboy50
12-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Hey Guys,

Working in the industry I can tell you that interest rates and fuel has not made a dent in used boat sales as yet.

April has seen more used boats sold than December or January.

The buyers market that I hear everyday from customers is simply not happening yet. Those who snooze lose.

The right boat will sell if it is priced right. And I don't mean a bargain.

Regards

Darren

kingtin
12-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Mate...................I've just sold two..................priced to sell. I looked on boatpoint and other sites, and knocked off well over five grand on what they were selling (trying to). The tinny sold in a couple of hours, and the Whittley sold in a couple of days.

So I was too cheap I have been told.............well, having seen two other used Whittleys the same as mine, priced higher, waiting to sell for over 6 months in a yard, I thought what the hell! Mine went and I've already made 500 bucks in interest this month so there's some of it back.

With brokerage being as high as 12.5% it's all down to how fast you want to shift it and if what you sell it for is going to be your money or the brokerage. I could have put mine to brokerage but they would have priced it higher, I'd have to wait longer for it to sell, and I'd come out with less anyway so why not price to sell? I came ourt with more than what I would have made on brokerage selling and I got my cash immediately.

That's my slant, although I really did need to shift it as soon as poss, as it was just deteriorating where it was, and it was dead money.

kev