PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting idle revs on 87 Mariner (merc) 135hp

fender22
11-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Just had the donk tuned and running like a gem but could be idling a tad high.
I was wondering if there was any quick simple way of adjusting the idle without having to adjust each carby?

I've only run it with the muffs on and haven't fully water tested it so it may be ok or the idle may simmer down a bit once it fully warms up. Do these engines have some sort of auto choke where they idle a bit higher when cold? I think my Johnson used to do that.

Is there an adjustment on the actual throttle control unit (the quicksilver type where u push the button in to disengage gears and increase revs) or is there an adjustment on the engine that backs of all carbys together or do they have to each be adjusted. I can take it back to the mechanic and ete him to do it of course but I have found engines perform different when starting, running, warm, cold etc so would like to be able to do this myself "in situ". Thanks for your help

Regards Craig

Roughasguts
11-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Run it in the water first the higher back pressure will cut the idle down a bit, you don't need the motor stalling when dropping it in gear.

Outsider1
11-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Sound typical of an old tech carby 2 stroke Craig. They do take a while to warm up and the idle will drop back a bit when it is warm.

As Roughasguts said, take it for a run first before you start fiddling with the idle. If the mechanic is any good (and I gather he is) then the idle should be pretty spot on.

Cheers

Dave

fender22
11-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I thought as much guys but is there an aeasy way to drop the idle back if I have to?

Roughasguts
11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Maybe just an adjustment of the stop screw on the throttle linkage is all you will need. That would be a much better option than playing with each carb and stuffing them up. But don't touch it yet.

BM
11-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Adjusting the idle setup is not that simple on your engine. It requires a 1/8 drill bit inserted into the throttle cam to line it up with the cylinder block. From there you can set up the pickup timing and the carby pickup.

If you have paid to have it worked on take it back where you had it done (or find someone new). But water test the idle first. Merc V6's don't drop down with backpressure as much as OMC engines do but they will drop a little. I doubt very much if you will get from 1200rpm down to 700rpm.

Did your mechanic tank test the engine? Did he mention the high idle when giving it back to you?