PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring from the stern

fender22
10-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi, I have a 18 1/2' boat and we do a few overnighters. Can be really noisey in the cabin trying to get to sleep with the water lapping against the bow if there is a bit of current running. I read somewhere you should never anchor from the stern unless an emergency and I wouldn;t do it of course unless I was in calmish waters but thought it may be a better way of getting a quieter night sleep? Does that make sense?

jimbo59
10-05-2008, 07:17 PM
i would in calm water cause i find it difficult to sleep too.

PinHead
10-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I never do it...except when stern in at a beach or sandbank...too dangerous. That lapping sound just puts me to sleep..I love it.

jtpython
10-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Sleep at the back of boat maybe mate?
May help i have only slept once in front of my boat just has always been easier to stretch right out on the deck with a sleeping bag and pillow
JT

Gon Fishun
10-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Majority of fishers fish from the rear in bigger boats. Seems a tad awkward putting fishing lines up front so as not to entangle anchor rope & sleeping assuming, you don`t stop fishing.

black runner
10-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi Fender, A mate of mine lives aboard a yacht and was talking to me about this very issue. I believe you can purchase inflatable accoustic buffers that wrap around the bow at the waterline. Don't know were from, but the patent info below gives you an idea of how it works

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5299522.html

Cheers

cormorant
10-05-2008, 11:12 PM
earplugs are cheap,

Simmo2
10-05-2008, 11:13 PM
You are at sea after all so it aint going to be quite like the waterbed at home!
Try a google for 'flopper stopper's. I read an article by a yanky fella that talked about different ways of anchoring etc...
I'll try to find the article.

Here it is....http://www.bigbendsportsman.com/tips/anchoringtips.htm

TimiBoy
11-05-2008, 06:30 AM
It could be as calm as hell, but if some pratt swings by in a decent boat you might be in trouble. I know the wake of that sand dredge gets up, but does he go out at night?

I'd look at ways to manage the sound, and maximise your chances of staying alive. I would't sleep at all if I anchored at the back for fear!

Fish Guts
11-05-2008, 09:31 AM
if you anchor from the stern other than when on the beach you will find the boat swings around with the tidal change and the stern line can get caught around props ect. and if your in a pretty full anhcorage you may also hit other boats beacuse you wont swing like everyone else.

Reel Nauti
11-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Offset the anchor with a bridle to about 30 degrees and you might find that it will alleviate some of the noise.

Cheers

Dave

ped cairns
11-05-2008, 01:12 PM
i know of 3 boats that have sunk from anchoring to rear ear plugs sound like a good option
ped

tigermullet
11-05-2008, 02:25 PM
I have the opposite problem. After a couple of weeks on the boat I find it difficult to sleep without the soothing sound of water rushing past the hull. It beats the hell out of being nagged to sleep.;D

tigermullet
11-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Shit! Sorry, shouldn't have said that. It's Mother's day.

SgBFish
11-05-2008, 06:51 PM
It could be as calm as hell, but if some pratt swings by in a decent boat you might be in trouble. I know the wake of that sand dredge gets up, but does he go out at night?

I'd look at ways to manage the sound, and maximise your chances of staying alive. I would't sleep at all if I anchored at the back for fear!

Tim.
I have named that red dredge the "PEST"
I’ve never seen a boat that size put out a 2m breaking stern wave!!!!!!!!