PDA

View Full Version : Q's on new boat

kind_cir
10-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Looking at a lot of boats at the moment as I think it's about time for an upgrade.
The only thing is, I am confused with all the choices, so I was hopeing some of you could help out.
What I am after is an alloy boat in a runabout, cab or bowrider configeration.
It would have to have a good ride and be easy to tow [4x4 TD ute].
Be launched and retrived by one person alone 100% of the time.
Accomadate up to 2 adults and one child 50% of the time
It would be used 60% time in the local rivers and 40% of the time up to 15km offshore from the Sunshine Coast. I would also like to do a trip or 2 from Brisbane to Morten Is.

So what size craft and what size engine ? Keeping in mind the less fuel it burns and the cheaper the purchase price the better. And fuel usage figures would be handy if you could let us know.

Thanks.

johnny roger
10-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi noboat,

i am new to boating, and have just bought my first boat. it is a stacer 469 sunmaster svs. i looked around for months, and the thing that got me about the stacer was 1) very helpful salesman, and knew what he was talking about. customer service is a big thing for me. 2) the stacer had all the features i was looking for. it is a runabout type boat, with a pod on the back for easy boarding for the kids, the pod also stabilizes the boat at rest, and prevents back wash coming over the transom. i'll only be using the boat 90% on the lake, and the other times in the esturays around cairns. being under 5M it is managable for one person.
you may ask why i didn't go for a quinnie...well the person i spoke to was a bit rude, and clearly only wanted my money and didn't offer any help to a new boat person.
also with the stacer if you look at the stern, it has a deep V. i know the quinnies boast the milenium hull, but i believe the deep V in the stern will also have the effect of stability at rest. as far as keep the crew dry under way, well...i think no matter what kind of hull you have, they are going to get wet in a good choppy sea.
John

kind_cir
11-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks.
One thing I hadn't considered was a pod. I will now put it on my list of must haves. As you say with the ease of boarding, stability and stopping slop coming over the rear, it realy would make things better.
I susspect you got the EVO hull, and I have heard these perform better than the Quinie hull whilst underway. What O/B have you swung off it and what fuel figures and performance does it return.

johnny roger
11-05-2008, 02:18 PM
hey noboat,
the motor that comes with the 469 is a 40 HP, but have opted for the 60 HP which is the maximum HP for that hull. it is the mercury 2 stroke, and according to the salesman, it would be better than a four stroke as it has more torque down low for pulling skis, tubes etc. the four stroke is more expensive, and he didn't even try to sell me that one. this is what i am talking about when it comes to a salesman knowing what he is on about and not jsut after your money.
as far as fuel consumption on one of those things, i wouldnt know about that. Sorry.
John

kingtin
11-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Mate, I'm awaiting the the 519 nomad. No shelter on it but heaps of deck space and amazing stability at rest. You can see the review here:

http://www.tasmaniansportsfisher.com.au/Boat%20-%20Stacer.pdf

kev

seatime
11-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi noboat,

i am new to boating, and have just bought my first boat. it is a stacer 469 sunmaster svs. i looked around for months, and the thing that got me about the stacer was 1) very helpful salesman, and knew what he was talking about. customer service is a big thing for me. 2) the stacer had all the features i was looking for. it is a runabout type boat, with a pod on the back for easy boarding for the kids, the pod also stabilizes the boat at rest, and prevents back wash coming over the transom. i'll only be using the boat 90% on the lake, and the other times in the esturays around cairns. being under 5M it is managable for one person.
you may ask why i didn't go for a quinnie...well the person i spoke to was a bit rude, and clearly only wanted my money and didn't offer any help to a new boat person.
also with the stacer if you look at the stern, it has a deep V. i know the quinnies boast the milenium hull, but i believe the deep V in the stern will also have the effect of stability at rest. as far as keep the crew dry under way, well...i think no matter what kind of hull you have, they are going to get wet in a good choppy sea.
John

G'day John,

Sounds like a you got a real helpful salesman, I'm always wary of them and arm myself with as much research as possible before signing :-/

I notice 90% of your intended use is on a lake, is that a freshwater lake? The word is a lot of freshwater impoundments will exclude 2 stroke motors, something to check planning a trip.
The Stacer's are a nice looking tinnie and you should have many years of happy family boating. btw, a deep V hull tends to make a boat less stable than the flatter type, the Stacer should provide you with a good compromise between ride and stabilty for a pressed tinnie.

regards
Steve

johnny roger
11-05-2008, 09:09 PM
G'day John,

Sounds like a you got a real helpful salesman, I'm always wary of them and arm myself with as much research as possible before signing :-/

I notice 90% of your intended use is on a lake, is that a freshwater lake? The word is a lot of freshwater impoundments will exclude 2 stroke motors, something to check planning a trip.
The Stacer's are a nice looking tinnie and you should have many years of happy family boating. btw, a deep V hull tends to make a boat less stable than the flatter type, the Stacer should provide you with a good compromise between ride and stabilty for a pressed tinnie.

regards
Steve

Hi Steve,
Yes i am the same when it comes to salesmen. but for some reason, like i said, this guy was really helpful. and hopefully......touch wood......my instincts will have paid off when my new boat arrives.
thanks for the forward thinking of the 2 stroke in impoundments, but in tinaroo, there are a lot of 2 strokes around, and the rangers dont mind at all.
regards,
John.

johnny roger
11-05-2008, 09:13 PM
hi kingtin, can you tell me where you got that review from? i am wondering if there is one for a model i am looking at?

johnny roger
11-05-2008, 09:16 PM
kingtin, i found it dont worry. thanks.

kingtin
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
hi kingtin, can you tell me where you got that review from? i am wondering if there is one for a model i am looking at?

Just put the name of the boat followed by review into google and if there is one, google will find it for you. There are no reviews for the sunmaster though, as I was looking at one myself, originally.

kev