PDA

View Full Version : noisey center bearing bay cruiser

Razgo-
10-05-2008, 06:18 PM
I have this boat under contract and went for a sea trial in it today http://www.boatingservices.com.au/ed.php?de=22894

The owner said he put in a new center bearing in the v shaft and said it would be a bit noisy until it settles down. I have no reason not to believe him but can't understand why a new bearing would be noisey? But then again I don't know enough about these boats to whats a normal noise level. the motor is quiet as a mouse and purrrrs very nicely. It runs great and am very happy with it. Its just this noise issue I am not understanding.

anyone know much about this?

jimbo59
10-05-2008, 07:20 PM
If you get the mooring as well go for it ,they are like rocking horse poo.

BM
10-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Have you bought it yet?

What drive arrangment does it have? Looks like a sterndrive to me. Not sure what you mean by v'shaft?

Timber boats are a lot of maintenance and issues.

Personally I would say go for something in fibreglass or alloy over timber.

Cheers

Razgo-
10-05-2008, 07:28 PM
It's a shaft drive prop 15". I meant to say V Drive. apparently when a new bearing goes in it is noisy until it settles in. I love the timber boats and is my preference. Yes the mooring comes with it :). But generally speaking I won't be using it as i will be bringing it down to horizons marine wet berth.

Taroona
10-05-2008, 07:30 PM
All I can say is I grew up in Hobart I'm 59 now, and my old man had boat built of huon pine. We would go to that boat once a fortnight and bail it out. Huon pine is one of the best timbers you can get for boat building. So once it swells it doesn't leak, but then you have sea cocks, glands etc and timber boats are a way of life. So if you want to spend a lot of time looking after her go for it.

on-one
10-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Sorry no idea about the bearing but it's a nice looking boat, what's the bronze thing in the head?

Razgo-
10-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Bronze thing in the head? the toilet you mean? Its an old tram basin/tap. you pull it down out from the wall and it opens into a basin with soap holder and has a tap.

BM
10-05-2008, 07:56 PM
The "head" is the marine term for toilet.

Re the v-drive, I would go and speak to a ski boat business as they will be best suited to answer your question. I don't have much to do with ski boats so I do not know.

Cheers

whichway
10-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi

Your best bet would be to ring a boat builder. Try Peter (I think) at Millkraft. He may not know, but he can put you on to a suitable marine engineer.

Timber boats are nice, and they get in your blood, but the best timber boats are the ones your friends own.

Whichway

Horse
10-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Theres nothing wrong with timber boats. Our last one was 1948 vintage and is still going strong. Not many alloy or glass boats lasting like that

I have no idea what this V drive bearing could be but I would be concerned about any noise from a bearing. Why did they just fit a new one. Did you get a surveyor to look over it

PinHead
10-05-2008, 09:29 PM
no such thing as a noisy "new" bearing. A new bearing will be quiet if installed correctly and the shaft aligned correctly.

jimbo59
10-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Can i have the mooring,i repaired a v drive many moons ago and they have a very unusual bearing that is quite expensive to replace the one i repaired had water in it and the bearing was buggerd.

Razgo-
11-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I will get a quote on a new bearing just in case.

I caught up with an old friend of mine in Tassie who is a retired marine mechanic and suggested that when this guy put the new motor in that he did not align the shaft properly. I think some may believe the bearing will simply wear a little and then the noise will stop without aligning it properly. Apparently the marine mechanic use some sort of clock method to do it right.

I believe it is a new bearing simply not aligned so i will fix it myself.

tigermullet
11-05-2008, 09:21 PM
That's a very nice looking boat and I hope you get the bearing sorted out. I know you are moving the boat to Horizon Shores but how does the transfer of mooring work (as advertised).

At Jacobs Well and the Gold Coast moorings are not transferable with the boat i.e., they have to be surrendered and go to the next person on the waiting list.
Unless, of course, the authority holder of the mooring is going to buy another boat and use the mooring within a reasonable time. The person having the mooring authority may sell the mooring equipment (by agreement) with and to the next person on the waiting list who actually takes up the authority.

Things might be different in other places, even in Queensland but, if you have time, could you please tell us whether you could have taken over the mooring?

As others have said, they are rare and difficult to get. We are very glad to have ours and make sure that our annual renewal fee is always paid on time.

If, by some chance, you can take the mooring over it might be worth hanging on to or converting it to an unrestricted mooring. If you can manage to convert it to 'unrestricted' status then you would be able to rent it out. At Jacobs Well the rent per month brings about $125 per month. Not much, I know but the costs of keeping them are low.

Good luck with all.

PinHead
12-05-2008, 12:01 AM
I will get a quote on a new bearing just in case.

I caught up with an old friend of mine in Tassie who is a retired marine mechanic and suggested that when this guy out the new motor in that he did not align the shat properly. I think some may believe the bearing will simply wear a little and then the noise will stop without aligning it properly. Apparently the marine mechanic use some sort of clock method to do it right.

I believe it is a new bearing simply not aligned so i will fix it myself.

they are dial gauges...can get laser ones these days. You also need to know the tolerances for the shaft to align correctly: +/- 0.002" or whatever it may be.

Razgo-
12-05-2008, 06:27 AM
yes my friend called it clocking or clock it or somethimng like that. So i am happy to get a marine engineer or mechanic who has done his before to fix this for me.

I would get the bearing checked too to see if it still ok or needs replacing. I know it may be a new bearing but since I now believe it is waering because of misalignment and might need to be checked now anyway.

Razgo-
12-05-2008, 06:32 AM
That's a very nice looking boat and I hope you get the bearing sorted out. I know you are moving the boat to Horizon Shores but how does the transfer of mooring work (as advertised).

At Jacobs Well and the Gold Coast moorings are not transferable with the boat i.e., they have to be surrendered and go to the next person on the waiting list.
Unless, of course, the authority holder of the mooring is going to buy another boat and use the mooring within a reasonable time. The person having the mooring authority may sell the mooring equipment (by agreement) with and to the next person on the waiting list who actually takes up the authority.

Things might be different in other places, even in Queensland but, if you have time, could you please tell us whether you could have taken over the mooring?

As others have said, they are rare and difficult to get. We are very glad to have ours and make sure that our annual renewal fee is always paid on time.

If, by some chance, you can take the mooring over it might be worth hanging on to or converting it to an unrestricted mooring. If you can manage to convert it to 'unrestricted' status then you would be able to rent it out. At Jacobs Well the rent per month brings about $125 per month. Not much, I know but the costs of keeping them are low.

Good luck with all.

Hi the use of the word "transfer" meant he is going to transfer ownership of the mooring to me.

I will be keeping the mooring and probably rent it out.

Can i have the mooring,i repaired a v drive many moons ago and they have a very unusual bearing that is quite expensive to replace the one i repaired had water in it and the bearing was buggerd.

How much was the bearing? I figured if i can fix the alignment and bearing issue for under $1,000 then that ok. thats if i had to replace the bearing and the cost of a marine mechanic to fix it etc...

Razgo-
12-05-2008, 07:36 AM

Good luck with all.

Because i buy medical supplies and give them away to the severely disabled i would probably use that money to do that. It would actually go a long way for smaller items.

tigermullet
12-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Because i buy medical supplies and give them away to the severely disabled i would probably use that money to do that. It would actually go a long way for smaller items.

Best of luck with that endeavour.

This morning I had to phone the mooring authority on the Gold Coast about a small problem with our mooring and asked about transferring of moorings when and if our boat was sold. Because there is a long waiting list for moorings at the Gold Coast and Jacobs Well they won't authorise any transfer and, what's worse, we are not able to change our restricted mooring to unrestricted status.

The rules were easier ten years ago but demand is driving change.

There are approximately one dozen boats on what seem to be permanent anchor outside of the designated mooring area at Jacobs Well. I think they are waiting and hoping for another designated area to be opened up.

Any mooring is certainly worth hanging on to.

Razgo-
12-05-2008, 10:32 AM
I just got an idea of costing from KPS maritime Kevin, and he said if the bearing was gone and plus alignment it would come under a $1,000 no worries. If it was the actual V Drive needed replacing that would be around $1,800.

So now know worst case scenario and that the boat is still worth the price and definatly worth more on the market even if i had to spend $3K on it.

Razgo-
29-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Best of luck with that endeavour.

This morning I had to phone the mooring authority on the Gold Coast about a small problem with our mooring and asked about transferring of moorings when and if our boat was sold. Because there is a long waiting list for moorings at the Gold Coast and Jacobs Well they won't authorise any transfer and, what's worse, we are not able to change our restricted mooring to unrestricted status.

The rules were easier ten years ago but demand is driving change.

There are approximately one dozen boats on what seem to be permanent anchor outside of the designated mooring area at Jacobs Well. I think they are waiting and hoping for another designated area to be opened up.

Any mooring is certainly worth hanging on to.

Yes i found that out too. The original was unable to transfer the mooring to me. I can own the apparatus but not much point in that.

The marine mob from pinkanbar said it's 14 days from giving up the mooring that it becomes their property if no ownership is taken for the apparatus. On a technicality I would have been able to go on the list and take it even thought there was one person on t e waiting list for donny brook. He never filled out the form correctly.

It's all to int eh hard basket for me. So my boat is in a wet berth at spinnaker sound marina now.

I will get a mooring closer to me which there are a few available but no guarantee that there is an apparatus even there when you get one.

But for the most part I will be on a wet berth anyway at horizon shores marina maybe in a few weeks time.

Kevin the mechanic had a brief look at it the other day and said the uni joints were flogged and something about a coupling. So the bearing might still be ok yet as it was new. Won't find out until Monday.