PDA

View Full Version : Which reel??

dazza
10-05-2008, 02:39 PM
hi all,
don't want to start a holden vs ford type debate, but i am looking for a new baitacster.
the poor old calcutta 50 is almost worn out and needs to be replaced.
i am chasing something simmlar, even thinking about another calcuta 50, but this is pretty old technology.
will be used manly for throwing plastics at flathead on a 2-4kg livefibre, probably use 8-10lb braid/pe or whatever i have laying around in the shed
probably want to spend around $300
cheers
dazza

Plastic_Magic
10-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Mate a diawa HRF is perfect for your needs or even one betta a Diawa Advantage...I hav both and love them.......the HRF is loaded with 10lb braid and use it for bass and river work and Advantage is loaded with 20lb and use it for Barra fishing at awoonga and heavy river fishing....Hope this helps...

Plastic_Magic

BARRAkid
10-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Myself i am a daiwa fan and wouldn't touch a shimano baitcaster or light spin reel unless it was dirt cheep.
If you wanna go cheepish (but decent) go a daiwa coastal or hrf then the next step up would be a advantage or luna then the zillion.
That is what you could get for around $300 in the daiwa range.
If you want a low profile i would go the HRF and you will have a few dollars left over.
If you want a normal baitcaster i would go with the luna.

cheers BK

WyldFisher
10-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Check out the Abu Garcia Revo reels.

They have a 24lb drag which can be quite handy in some situations with big fish.

Here's a link for you to check the range out.

CLICK HERE (http://www.###########.com.au/reels/low_profile.html)

dazza
11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
thanks guy's,
i had a bit of a look on the net last night, like a kid in a lolly shop
cheers
dazza

Dan5
12-05-2008, 11:35 AM
What about a re-build of the 50? for around $60 you could do new bearing's,carbontex washer's cleaned and oiled it would feel near new again,it has obviously served you well.

With the spare change a Curado 200dhsv or Citica or similar,

Quality mid range reel's of all brand's are now far cheaper than they were say ten years ago.

Your old callcutta 50 will continue to catch fish just like any other reel if looked after,

Dan..

dazza
15-05-2008, 06:06 AM
hi dan,
this little reel has served me very well, it has had 1 rebuild, the thumb bar is now pretty worn so all of that mechanism would need to be replaced as well any idea of cost or if available?. the drag and bearings etc are still perfect. when i lived up on cape york i was fishing 50lb braid with it, not really what it was designed for, it copped a flogging, but performed beautifully.
i was probably going to keep it as a "visitors" reel, but with thumb bar is a bit dodgy
also i can tell the missus this is buggered, get a new one and repair the 50;D;D
cheers
dazza