PDA

View Full Version : Suz 4HP to 6HP conversion??

IRMC000
10-05-2008, 02:16 PM
I own a 4HP Suzuki 4-stroke
I was surfing the net the other night and arrived at a Suzuki site and decided to look at the 6HP specs - exactly the same as the 4HP I own - I mean EXACTLY

What changes - is it jetting only or is there a restrictor plate or what?
How much to up grade does anyone know?
Has anyone done it?
What difference did it make?

Thanks

tunaticer
10-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I know nothing about the honda 4st 4 and 6hp conversion but if its anything like most other models it is a fairly exy exercise to upgrade.

Jack.

cormorant
10-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Get the exact parts list for your model and the exact factory parts list for the 6hp. See what is different and price it.

Some of the smarter manufacturers will have different numbers on the paper lists but when looking at the numbers on the dealers website they consolidate them.

Beware as they may look the same and even have the same casting marks on a manifold they may have a difference like a larger orrifice.

Mostly it is not a cheap conversion but you might get luchy but do your research as over the years I have seen lots of dog motors created that may sound louder and use more fuel or whatever but don't actually last or produce the HP

Some changes were as simple as restrictor plates or throttle stops but some were porting, jets, manifolds, pistons , heads list goes on. Factor in new prop price?

manufacturers generally didn't make it easy and change over parts were a very expensive option but a wrecker may reduce your parts cost if it is infact possible.

Do a search as this has come up many times.

PS - motor will no longer meet polution EPA standards and should it stuff something up or be greater than transom capacity the insurance company may play hardball if there was a claim.

IRMC000
10-05-2008, 06:15 PM
They use the same prop.

Get the exact parts list for your model and the exact factory parts list for the 6hp. See what is different and price it.

Some of the smarter manufacturers will have different numbers on the paper lists but when looking at the numbers on the dealers website they consolidate them.

Beware as they may look the same and even have the same casting marks on a manifold they may have a difference like a larger orrifice.

Mostly it is not a cheap conversion but you might get luchy but do your research as over the years I have seen lots of dog motors created that may sound louder and use more fuel or whatever but don't actually last or produce the HP

Some changes were as simple as restrictor plates or throttle stops but some were porting, jets, manifolds, pistons , heads list goes on. Factor in new prop price?

manufacturers generally didn't make it easy and change over parts were a very expensive option but a wrecker may reduce your parts cost if it is infact possible.

Do a search as this has come up many times.

PS - motor will no longer meet polution EPA standards and should it stuff something up or be greater than transom capacity the insurance company may play hardball if there was a claim.

Shanoss
10-05-2008, 08:54 PM
The easiest way to do it would be to take your 4hp motor into a dealer. Give him the motor and tell him you want him to make it into a 6hp motor. He should disappear out the back with your motor, and return shortly after with a motor thats looks suspiciously like yours, only cleaner, and he may shout something like "Abra Cadabra"! He will then ask you for some money. probably about the same amount as what he would ask for if you were doing something sensible like trading it in. Good luck.

Roughasguts
10-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Mate forget the 4 - 6 Hp and go a 10 -or 15 Hp even a 6 Hp will struggle with a head wind, and the differance in the 6 over the 4 would be you would get wetter with the 6.