PDA

View Full Version : what do you reckon (electric motor)

FisherDave76
09-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Its time to get a new electric motor and I been looking at a couple has anyone heard about the jarvis walker watersnakes.... are they good.. and how much is a good price?

TIA

Simmo2
09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Try this mate!!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/search.php?searchid=447152

The_Sloth_man
09-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I saw this on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/canoe-fishing-boat-with-motor-unwanted_W0QQitemZ220231118153QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3 6122QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Too bad i live in QLD

I thought with a $350 buy it now price that would be a good buy for just the electric outboard and battery.
Even if you dumped the canoe and outrigger

revs57
10-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Swano has had his watersnake since they came out a couple of years ago. He's used it almost every week in the salt off scarby - no problems to report and @ a third of the cost of a kota, certainly worth considering IMO

Cheers

Rhys

Leighton
10-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Revs has a point, its hard to go past W/S for the money. A lot depends on the height of your boat. The M/K and M/G have a longer shaft length available. So if your boats bow is high the prop of the electric can come out of the water particularly on choppy days.
Dont forget to factor in the cost of a decent deep cycle battery and 3 stage charger.

youngy
10-05-2008, 07:39 AM
I have had a jarvis walker watersnake for 18 months now no problems at all.
The main thing they havn't got compared to dearer brands is autopilot it lust depends on whether you think you need this feature and it is worth the extra money.cheers wayne.

QuinnyDory
12-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi, Have had a 54lb transom mount for around 12 months. Seems ok for the $$, just 2 problems to report on the transom mount: 1) The plastic screw clip for the height adjust isnt up to the task and broke around 6 months in 2) The tilt adjust cant seem to handle the torque or high gear and can jump out of position sometimes - whether this would occur or not would depend entirely on the mounting angle on your transom. I dont find it too much of a hassle...

MyEscape
14-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Well I've got a Minn Kota and after 3 uses it's back at the shop for repair. Doesn't turn left or right.

Having said that I do think the autopilot on the minn Kota's are great. Just a little surprised I've had a problem with what I thought was a quality motor so soon after buying it.

Better get it back this week or I'll be a very angry customer.

Steve

bayfisher
14-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Revs has a point, its hard to go past W/S for the money. A lot depends on the height of your boat. The M/K and M/G have a longer shaft length available. So if your boats bow is high the prop of the electric can come out of the water particularly on choppy days.
Dont forget to factor in the cost of a decent deep cycle battery and 3 stage charger.

The water snakes now have up to a 60 inch shaft models available which should cover most boats, but only in the 80 and 100lb version.

Cheers Chris