PDA

View Full Version : Cost of bait?

ivegotabigone
09-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know why bait at the tackle shop is more expensive than what I can buy prawns at the supermarket for?
I know what you are going to say, catch my own and it's free! HAHA

SeaHunt
09-05-2008, 03:46 PM
If you really want to get ripped off buy it at a Servo.

nufin_flash
09-05-2008, 03:49 PM
im guessing due to convience, i guess a lot of fishos dont think about going to the supermarket to buy prawns as bait, a lot of ppl just think right frozen bait , servo/tackle shop.

but yeah cast net is way cheaper, hehe

deathstar 3
09-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I found going to morgans or other fish co-ops was a much better option, price and quality wise.

Cheers
John

disorderly
09-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know why bait at the tackle shop is more expensive than what I can buy prawns at the supermarket for?
I know what you are going to say, catch my own and it's free! HAHA

I wonder what the average turnover at the local tackle store would be compared to the average supermarket....http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif.

I think you will find that any business has to apply a certain margin in order to be profitable enough to survive.
Simple economics...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

If you want to save money then buy bait in bulk and package into what ever size packs you need, then freeze it or as you have already mentioned catch your own.

Scott

tigermullet
09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
The price might be a function of 'buying power' of the large shopping centre chains. Fresh prawns and eating quality mullet always seem to have been cheaper.

Not that I've used much bought bait over the last decade.

Yabbies start the process of moving up the food chain, the cast net provides other live bait and a can of corn kernels is a great back up. Bream cannot resist corn - 4 kernels on a nr8 sneck hook or half a dozen on a size 6 etc., really does work. Boiled wheat is probably better but is more 'fiddly' to put on the hook.

The_Sloth_man
09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Local seafood outlet.

$10-KG for prawns

other bait outlets (servo, tackle shop ect.)

$5.99 for 200grams of crap.

Guess where i spend my money

Luc
09-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Cause pre-packaged bait prawns are a 'speciality' item.

Look at parts for outboards. For example, compare price of say a Yamaha oil filter at a marine shop and then source the same thing from a motorcycle dealer.

Luc

r3volt
09-05-2008, 07:49 PM
I knew there was a reason i buy all my bait fresh in bulk :P

gucci84
09-05-2008, 08:09 PM
hey guys,
It might be cheaper at the super market but the problem is most of the cheap stuff is not wild australian stock so you run the risk of introducing a bug or disease to the local wild stocks so the stocks die the price goes up and everything else in the food chain suffers as well. you might think thats bulls#$t ut look at what happened to the W.A pilchard with imports from america our stocks of pilchards still havnt recoverd and that was over 8 years ago now.

tigermullet
09-05-2008, 08:31 PM
That's an excellent point Gucci. Many of us have been aware for years of that danger.

If local prawns and fish are used then there will not be a problem but it does help to be alert to the size of the problem that might be created by using imported prawns and fish.

Outsider1
09-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I would not buy bait from a Supermarket, for the same reason I won't buy seafood from them, what they sell is crap!!.

I do buy bait form my local tackle store, but only if it is fresh (IQF pillies are probably the only exception). I do however go to my seafood store (Seafood House, Capalaba) to buy fresh bait.

Why?, great quality!, heaps of variety! and plentiful supply. Hardy Heads, Yellow Tail, Slimies, Bonito, Bay squid, fresh prawns, fresh mullet, you name it and they probably have got it!. And cheaper than frozen as well!

Cheers

Dave

The_Sloth_man
09-05-2008, 09:44 PM
hey guys,
It might be cheaper at the super market but the problem is most of the cheap stuff is not wild australian stock so you run the risk of introducing a bug or disease to the local wild stocks so the stocks die the price goes up and everything else in the food chain suffers as well. you might think thats bulls#$t ut look at what happened to the W.A pilchard with imports from america our stocks of pilchards still havnt recoverd and that was over 8 years ago now.

I'm not talking about the local safeway.

some would know it, I can't remember the name, on old cleaveland road, inbetween the 2 boat shops

local seafood shop, only deals in seafood and is "local" produce
but what does local mean in seafood nowadays?
cought somewhere in the southern hemisphere?

Outsider1
09-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm not talking about the local safeway.

some would know it, I can't remember the name, on old cleaveland road, inbetween the 2 boat shops

local seafood shop, only deals in seafood and is "local" produce
but what does local mean in seafood nowadays?
cought somewhere in the southern hemisphere?

Seafood House is the place The_Sloth_Man, the one I mentioned in my post below. Between Bob's Boat Yard and Leisure Marine. As I said, a great variety of (locally caught) bait available and very fresh, and cheaper than frozen!.

Cheers

Dave

The_Sloth_man
09-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Seafood House is the place The_Sloth_Man, the one I mentioned in my post below. Between Bob's Boat Yard and Leisure Marine. As I said, a great variety of (locally caught) bait available and very fresh, and cheaper than frozen!.

Cheers

Dave

we better shut up about that place then, or the prices are going to go through the roof

Dignity
10-05-2008, 07:57 AM
I agree with gucci, recently that W supermarket were selling thailand squid and occy but for the same price at wises rd m'dore I could get local fresh squid, looked better too. I usually buy a few kilos and split into freezer bags then into an icecream tub, that way I can take out the tub in the esky and only take out the amounts I need as I am fishing. Haven't found a decent outlet for other bait though on the sunny coast

sandbankmagnet
10-05-2008, 10:16 PM
I've been into Woolies and bought bait there. $15 a kilo for Ozzie green prawns. I make it very clear that they are to be used as bait and must be properly in tact. Don't just grab a handful! This is more important than human consumption!

And I'll have half a kilo of the local mullet at half the price of the tackle shop. 8 or 9 bucks generally sees me right for a giant fishing session.

I then pump yabbies and use the cast net for livies. Good options for estuary fishing (apart from maybe worms for whiting)

timddo
10-05-2008, 10:30 PM
i only pay $7 a kg for my prawns, they are yellowish bay prawns ( catch is you need to buy a box of 15kg in one hit). All caught in Australia.