PDA

View Full Version : Evenrude E-TECH or 4stroke

marsbars
09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi I am about to purchase a boat and not sure weather to go for a 60hp Mercury/Honda 4 stroke or a Evenrude E-Tech. The sales pitch from one to another boat dealer is amazing. They tell me You dont want to touch a 4 stroke the E-tecs are better but the warrinties are bad on the E-TECHS (blah blah blah ).
The question i would like to know is would you buy a 4 stroke or E-tch in your choice or are the engines similar.

Thanks.
New to boating ..

Noelm
09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
anyone for Popcorn?

disorderly
09-05-2008, 01:10 PM
honda will be the quietest...fuel ecomony will be similar for all three.....you will need XD 100 oil for the E-Tec ,its a bit exxy but you will use very little......E-tec will be the cheapest to own at least over the first three years.
Hard choice ...all good motors.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

disorderly
09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
anyone for Popcorn?

lol noel...
if it's an unbiased opinion he's after...this isn't the place, is it.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Mtx
09-05-2008, 01:26 PM
you have pulled the pin on the grenade now marsbars. I will sit back and watch the explosion :)

STUIE63
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Marsbars buy the brand of motor with the best dealer in your area any new motor is good
Stuie

Flex
09-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I personally view E-tecs like a high performance engine. its a 2 stroke, uses stratified combustion, the engine is designed to run at a higher temp than normal 2 strokes to achieve a cleaner burn. PLus a few other technical do-dads to make it run like a 4 stroke.

4 stroke has a few more moving parts, oil sump and well....is a 4 stroke.

My personal opinion is 4 strokes technically will last longer than any 2 stroke outboard. no matter what you do to the 2 stroke it'll wear out faster. its simple mechanics.

In all honesty I dont think you can go wrong with any outboard these days. they are all top notch which ever brand you buy. I'd look at dealer service more than anything.

Roughasguts
09-05-2008, 01:55 PM
What size boat and how much weight do you intend putting in it ?
Cause if the boat looks to be ar$e low then go the lightest motor, remember the motor is hanging of the back and has a lot of leverage.

You don't wan't ar$e low in a following sea, or any sea for that matter.

Murks
09-05-2008, 02:03 PM
not saying anything...nada..zippo,, like the other 20000 threads on the comparison ...but//my E-TEC is really good
Brett

GAD
09-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Four stroke or E-tec ? I think I heard that somewhere before.

Ally Jack
09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Here we go again.....I'll have some of that popcorn

I suggest you buy the cheapest one with the best service agent who lives down the street, that uses at most 1l/5kms on any boat it's fitted too with a range of colours to suit. And weighs 40kgs less than everyone else's.
When you find it, let us all know, we'll all be buying it. :P

Seriously, they are all good, and all bad if you get my drift. Ask enough people and you'll find most will like a certain brand think it's the best thing since canned beer, and another brand is all sh**, cause they had one or a mate had one that broke down, blew up etc etc and all the other brands they are ho hum about.

If you use the search function, type in etech or 4 stroke, then spend the next couple of hours reading. When your finished, you'll either know which one is right for you, or be more confused than you are now.

Good luck
Ally Jack

Mike Delisser
09-05-2008, 03:10 PM
You mentioned warranties for E-tecs, I just heard Evenrude is about to go with 5 years instead of 3.

death_ship
09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
if ya dont want to mess with oil top ups, go the 4 bang

Brad Clark
09-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I would say that you can't go wrong with any of the motors you mentioned. The Etecs from 2007 on have an upgraded power head as a result of a few failures prior to 2007. Bombardier really look after you when it comes to back up service. If getting the most speed out of the available horsepower is your thing then go an Etec, but if power is not the main issue and you don't mind the extra weight hanging off the transom then you can't go wrong with the 4 stroke. As you would have realised this issue is a hot potato to say the least. Due mainly to one eyed supporters of one brand or another. Sift through the rubbish and hopefully get the unbiased opinions. I think you are doing the right thing to ask the question but it is a hot issue. Good luck with your choice.

Mike, where did you hear that Etecs were going to 5 years and from what year on?

disorderly
09-05-2008, 06:35 PM
if ya dont want to mess with oil top ups, go the 4 bang

You 4 stroke owners make me laugh....http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Just to give an idea of oil usage and top up's I will give my figures...
The last 2 trips with my 90 E-Tec have totaled just about dead on 400 km...used 161 litres of fuel and 1.1 liters of xd100
Now I did venture 75 km's offshore both times,weather was good and I drove at cruise speed but the stats say that I'm getting near 2.5km per liter of fuel and around 145 to one with the oil ratio ...i think my oil reservoir holds around 3 litres which means i can get over 1000 km's between fill ups.

So to put it in perspective with a 50 hp E-Tec driven in your average inshore conditions topping up of oil may only be needed very infrequently...with all the other regular maintenance it would be very insignificant...

Not that I am stating that they are a better motor at all...
Just that topping up oil in the smaller E-Tec's will happen so rarely that you may actually forget to do it until a beeping sound starts and a light comes on the guages that tells you that it's time to top it up.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

Seahorse
09-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Here we have a guy, stating, new to boating, and i think has asked a serious question.
There is no such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers.
Whether some people think as old hat or boring ,should just keep their mouth closed and give the bloke a fair go and provide him with the info he has asked for.
I see he has only joined in april 2008.
Mate i wish i could help but dont have the knowledge, but iam sure that some people will give u the right advice.
I got 2 stroke merc and have been very happy with it.
i got 75hp and has 140hrs on the clock.
I feel sure that when i buy new boat i would be asking similar questions.

Good Luck
Greg

I wouldnt hesitate in buying another, but have not experienced other makes.

death_ship
09-05-2008, 07:37 PM
You 4 stroke owners make me laugh....http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Just to give an idea of oil usage and top up's I will give my figures...
The last 2 trips with my 90 E-Tec have totaled just about dead on 400 km...used 161 litres of fuel and 1.1 liters of xd100
Now I did venture 75 km's offshore both times,weather was good and I drove at cruise speed but the stats say that I'm getting near 2.5km per liter of fuel and around 145 to one with the oil ratio ...i think my oil reservoir holds around 3 litres which means i can get over 1000 km's between fill ups.

So to put it in perspective with a 50 hp E-Tec driven in your average inshore conditions topping up of oil may only be needed very infrequently...with all the other regular maintenance it would be very insignificant...

Not that I am stating that they are a better motor at all...
Just that topping up oil in the smaller E-Tec's will happen so rarely that you may actually forget to do it until a beeping sound starts and a light comes on the guages that tells you that it's time to top it up.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott
feel better?

disorderly
09-05-2008, 07:42 PM
feel better?
Absolutelyhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.

Ocean_Spirit
09-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Mate,

I literally just finished flushing the big 200 E-TEC after a late afternoon 80KM return trip.

All I can say is these things are bloody good and hard to beat. Running XD100 on the XD100 setting and using very little oil and today not much fuel. Still have close to 3/4's after a run to Horeshoe Bay last weekend, and today's trip. Now have 40Hrs, running perfectly since day one and just getting better as it is run in, starts instantly and is a great all-round engine.

Very happy customer and couldn't recommend the E-TEC's enough. I know a lot of people running them, and have a lot more hours than the 200, on similar boats and set-ups, and have not had any issues at all and love the engine. So very happy. That said, know a lot of guys running Suzuki's, Yam's and Honda's and are equally bloody happy. I'm an Evinrude man and will always own Evinrudes!

I cannot stress this point enough - the most important part of the purchase is how the engine is installed, the propeller, rigging, height, etc. Buying from an honest, experienced dealer with the runs on the board and the best back-up service should really guide what you buy and where!

Outsider1
09-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Mate,

.........I cannot stress this point enough - the most important part of the purchase is how the engine is installed, the propeller, rigging, height, etc. Buying from an honest, experienced dealer with the runs on the board and the best back-up service should really guide what you buy and where!

And that in essence is it marsbars! Find the dealer you are going to be happy with for the life of your motor, who will set up your boat the way it should be, and you want/expect. Only then do you ask him which motor? So your question should be which dealer!, not which motor!!!

So where do you live??

Cheers

Dave

cormorant
09-05-2008, 10:47 PM
The other point here as mentioned that in different HP motors there is a difference in CC capacity. Some are busting their brains out to mak ethe HP and others are quite lazy.

On top of that all the crap dealers will be trying to package you up with a underpowered rig as the price looks more attractive. What is the max HP of your hull and what is the dealer saying is suitable or Min HP.

How much are you going to use your boat?

How do you fish? Troll , long runs then anchor?

Are you going to tow a skier or tube - adult or kid?

Warranty- the dealers and importers haven't reduced prices and the $A is real strong. In the USA they are offerring better longer warranty. It's gotta happen here sometime soon! well I hope.

On top of that as others have mentioned - make sure you are comparing apples with apples as you need to make sure all are coming with ally or stainless prop all avaliable guages fuel filters if required and so on.

All motor have slightly different characteristics.

More details will probably get some clearer answers of what to look out for but might not tell you which one to get as dealer service has a lot to do with it.

PS I didn't know the ETECS have changed parts in the latest motors- anyone know what parts they changed and what they are meant to fix and on what size motors?? Thanks

ifishcq1
10-05-2008, 12:17 AM
In summary horses for courses and the dealers in your local area mean more than individual brands ie my big boat after changing from a 2st is far better with a big lazy 4st but on the tinny a 2st works for me much better than the 4st I used to have ... I know this has all been said at some stage and if anyone tells you that an etec or an opti or a 4 uses less fuel than any of the others that is plain crap when all the newer motors use at the end of a days fishing only a few dollars difference based on a yammy, suzuki, etec and opti that travell to the wides with me on a regular basis as long as they are set up correctly.. we all do about 200-300 km on a normal run so it is easy to compare

bassfanatic5
10-05-2008, 08:24 AM
PS I didn't know the ETECS have changed parts in the latest motors- anyone know what parts they changed and what they are meant to fix and on what size motors?? Thanks[/quote]

cormorant

Have heard they have improved oiling system and additional lubrication points, different injectors and some other bits and pieces. There is a BRP etec owners forum in the states that has all the info. I am on the work computer at the moment but will post the link when i get back to my home computer.

I think this is the one.

http://forums.etecownersgroup.com/mb/barnaclebill (http://forums.etecownersgroup.com/mb/barnaclebill)

marsbars

I have an etec and would not own anything else, that said if i owned a merc four stroke or a honda four stroke i probably would not own anything else. Everyone will stick up for the dicission they made when they brought their outboard. If you are looking for a sub 100hp outboard for fishing and some water skiing the etec or opti are great ( can't beat the 2 stroke holeshot ). Other than that it's personal choice, and comes back to who is your closest reputable dealer.

Dignity
10-05-2008, 08:42 AM
I think Marsbars has just decide to quit boating.

There is alot of environmentalists out there and I would assume that they would say go with a 4 stroke because with a 2 stroke you are still putting oil into the water. Now i am not a testicle person and thought that a 4 stroke would have used less oil than a 2 stroke, is this the case.

Marsbars, I agree with others, go with the dealer that is prepared to listen to what you are going to do (most important) then be prepared to spend time with you to make sure your rig is what you want (also most important).

cormorant
10-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Big thing newer more effecient motors give you is increased range without carrying extra fuel. Range in one of out boats basically doubled over old carby jobs if run hard and we are carrying slightly bigger HP.

Thanks for the website - will have a read as I am sick of marketing from all the firms using some new acronym or "update" only to see no part number changes. Reminds me very much of car marketing- what a surprise.

Mindi
10-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Good info Scott thanks. A few reliable facts go a long way. I dont blame the forum for shreiking when the Etec question gets asked again but as more new punters get hit by the agressive marketing for Etec vs 4Str its inevitable.
I dont want to keep it going but would be interested to hear any factual report of real live Etec failures..? they have been out now for nearly 5 yrs..? surely there are some actual failures to hear about....nobody doubts the reliability of Yammy or Suzi 4 strokes but people were understandably needing to be convinced by results on Etec after Ficht....so after 5 years.. do we know of any..?

Splash
10-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Geees I'm hungry after reading all this !

Splash

TimiBoy
11-05-2008, 07:06 AM
I had a long chat with a fella from Victoria, who's boat was sitting in the yard at home, minus his (60?) HP E-TEC. It had siezed with 20 hours on the clock, and was sitting at the dealers with BRP refusing to touch it. He said it had been two months, and no joy.

I can't vouch for the truth of his story, but man, there was some passion there, he really sounded like it had happened.

I run a Merc Verado, but they don't come in your size!;D

Wahoo
11-05-2008, 07:25 AM
The question i would like to know is would you buy a 4 stroke or E-tch in your choice or are the engines similar.

in that size motors, for me it would be 4s zook
the E Tec still smells and sounds like any other 2s

disorderly
11-05-2008, 08:10 AM
I can't vouch for the truth of his story,

Well aint that a surprise huhhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif.

Brad Clark
11-05-2008, 09:22 AM
I had a long chat with a fella from Victoria, who's boat was sitting in the yard at home, minus his (60?) HP E-TEC. It had siezed with 20 hours on the clock, and was sitting at the dealers with BRP refusing to touch it. He said it had been two months, and no joy.

I can't vouch for the truth of his story, but man, there was some passion there, he really sounded like it had happened.

I would be surprised if the above was true. I have a 75 etec that blew a power head after 100 hours. My dealer was Water Skiers Warehouse Toowoomba and they were straight on the phone to BRP. BRP had a new power head delivered to Toowoomba within 3 days and I had the boat back the next day. From what I have heard BRP were aware that there was a problem and as I said in a previous post have now fixed the problem in the 2007 and on range. My point here is that both the dealer and the manufacturer were great and had me back on the water in no time. I am sure that if BRP were aware of a blown power head after 20 hours they would fix it straight away. Perhaps the problem is with the dealer.

As has been mentioned previously, if you have a good dealer then you should not have any problems.

I am not about to bag another brand as I have not had any first hand experiences. I, like a lot of other people have heard different stories about other brands of motors but I cannot verify those stories.

My first hand experience with Etec's are that they are a great motor and when it did fail there was no argument from the dealer or BRP. I was back on the water within a week.

My advice to anyone looking to buy a new motor. Listen to first hand experiences only. Disregard the stories that you hear from someone who heard something from someone else.

Last Cast
11-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I've had a 75 E-Tec for a year & gotta say I love it :) Only done 16 hours though so not a high use ( Kids !) Got it because of the lower engine weight on a small boat. Had 1 issue of vibration at low revs but fixed immediately Seal/Thermostat not working so motor ran cold. Agree with Brad & others too, 1st hand opinions are the ones that count & the service agent / dealer is the key, the best motor in the hands of the wrong mechanic is asking for trouble. I had the same dilema when looking at 4st v 2st :) & the varying "horror stories" on each option was a head *#@% to say the least. Talk to as many actual owners of each motor as you can, get as much info on each & the go with the motor that meets your needs the best & with the best dealer. Good Luck :)

TheRealAndy
11-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I've had a 75 E-Tec for a year & gotta say I love it :) Only done 16 hours though so not a high use ( Kids !) Got it because of the lower engine weight on a small boat. Had 1 issue of vibration at low revs but fixed immediately Seal/Thermostat not working so motor ran cold. Agree with Brad & others too, 1st hand opinions are the ones that count & the service agent / dealer is the key, the best motor in the hands of the wrong mechanic is asking for trouble. I had the same dilema when looking at 4st v 2st :) & the varying "horror stories" on each option was a head *#@% to say the least. Talk to as many actual owners of each motor as you can, get as much info on each & the go with the motor that meets your needs the best & with the best dealer. Good Luck :)

Dang, 16 hours in one year. 16 hours is 1-2 weekends for me!

I will give the honest truth here, there is no difference between etec and 4 stroke. They are the same. Do yourself a favour and quickly get out of this stupid, pointless debate and go buy an engine from your local dealer that gives you the best after sales support.

Last Cast
11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
:):):) yep 16 hours is pretty poor, all that was going to change but....got another one coming so might be 16 hours this year too!!! Hope not...

Heath01
11-05-2008, 10:27 PM
I am a member of the South Australian Trailer boat club, there are guys in there who have blinkers over their eyes and tell you 4 stroke are proven and everything else is crap, Everyone has their own opinions, i put 2 etecs on my cat and they are fantastic! minimul oil consumption and min fuel consumption, as quite as 4 strokes, great power aswell

Noelm
12-05-2008, 08:20 AM
OK, OK I have finished my Popcorn and Hotdog now, there was a lot of good info in this little to and fro, plus a bit of one eyed bias as well, so here goes, any of the new Motors will serve you well, over a range of operating conditions, there will be bugger all difference in Fuel use, Oil use compared to changing with a filter is also a near non event, so look at the "Dealer experience" do they treat you right, even if you are after a single bolt or a complete package, do they have a good, clean service area, do they keep at least a minimum of Parts on hand, do the have a range of accessories for later on, have you heard bad reports about their Techs, a wall full of Certificates for training only means that they are good at exams, but it at least means they are accredited, are they reasonably close by, the final price is only part of the reason to buy, so as you can see, the actual brand is almost irrelevant, the "total" package is what will be important 3 or 4 years from now.

ozscott
12-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Noel - couldnt agree more. I trust my Merc dealer very much. Over the years even with servicing my Yammy more recently, he has been honest as the day is long. For that reason I would buy an Optimax from him (he rates them very highly and I could get one that had done say 1500-2000 hours of hot running on a net boat for a bit under half the new price - only 2 years old) over say a Yammy HPDI or ETEC etc.

Cheers

TimiBoy
12-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Spot on Noelm. Service is everything.

It doesn't matter how good your rig is, if you have to tow it 10k's to get to a half decent tech it's a drag (pun intended).

business class
12-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Spot on Noelm. Service is everything.

It doesn't matter how good your rig is, if you have to tow it 10k's to get to a half decent tech it's a drag (pun intended).

I would have to agree with with most comments that say you need to consentrate on your local dealer as you really dont want to travell k's to get a service. i know a couple of people now who have put on the E-Techs and they seem happy. but for some reason when people watch that dvd they think there the best engine in the market and nothing compares:o . to be honest i think all engines these days are pretty good but my thought is go the 4 strokes, because when it comes down to it, look at cars they have been around for many years and i have never seen a car which is a 2 stroke? i just think leave mixing fuel and oil to cutting the grass;D ;D

Cheers
one eyed 4stroke owner

Noelm
12-05-2008, 03:53 PM
OK, there has indeed been a few 2 stroke cars, most were smokey piles of crap that regardless of the Engine, still would not last more than 5 minutes, with the current fuel situation, I think we may see a bit of a swing away from the conventional Car engine we know now, not saying that every new Holden will be Etec equiped, but maybe fuel efficient Diesels of both 2 and 4 stroke design, or maybe an advancement of Marine 2 strokes MAY be to some advantage, like a very small, lightweight fuel efficient powerplant could make inroads into the Auto Industry if fuel continues to get harder to find, and dearer to buy! not going to happen overnight, BUt something will happen, mind you, all that has bugger all to do with the original question, but the fact remains, they are all good, they can all stuff up, they can all leave you rowing home, and they can all give you some great family and friends times. If any Manufacturer wants to have a test dummy for any model, I would not hesitate to put my hand up for a 2 stroke, 4 stroke, or any other stroke for that matter. New Motors are just that good.

Noelm
12-05-2008, 03:58 PM
hey I just had a thought on a reason to buy an Etec!!! they are available in 2 colours, so you can match your Boat, or car!!! no other brand is able to offer that, except for Merc and Mariner, but Mariner is to be ditched soon. so you 4 strokers, match that very desirable feature!

TimiBoy
12-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Ha Rubbish, who needs it??? Black goes with everything!!!;D;D;D;D;D

Love my Merc. And even my lawnmower's a four stroke!

ifishcq1
12-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Hey Noel

I agree with most of your post but who needs paint colour when you can change covers anytime

coucho
12-05-2008, 06:42 PM
get yourself a sail no two stroke oil whisper quiet and perfect ecomonomy :)

allabaster
13-05-2008, 05:01 PM
For the size you are looking for and the implied fuel useage just get a carby 2 stroke.
Etecs are way overpriced (they cost as much as a 4 stroke or more) and 4 strokes are too heavy for your boat size (causes porposing).
Mercury's are refered to in the service industry as "the black death" and mariners are the same thing but worse.
The service for a carby 2 stroke costs bugger all and as long as you go oil injected they are hassle free as long as you keep them serviced.
Just don't go the cheapest of the cheap (tohatsu).
Remember the more you spend initially the more money it will loose when you try to sell it on. Optional extras are worth nothing come resale time. (as i found out the hard way)

manchild
13-05-2008, 05:32 PM
You maybe surprised just what tohatsu makes,and how many people doesnt even now about it.

phewy
13-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Mercury's are refered to in the service industry as "the black death" and mariners are the same thing but worse.

Could you enlighten us and explain why they are regarded as "worse"? :rolleyes: :clown:

Is it the different color shade that causes the extra problems? :)

Unless you are talking about old old Mariners....pre Merc. Then I'd have to agree. :-X

Wahoo
13-05-2008, 08:06 PM
hey I just had a thought on a reason to buy an Etec!!! they are available in 2 colours, so you can match your Boat, or car!!! no other brand is able to offer that, except for Merc and Mariner, but Mariner is to be ditched soon. so you 4 strokers, match that very desirable feature!

Not so Noelm, found these no good supercharged Verados, wanabe E-Tecs me thinks:P:P:P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/whiteVerados.jpg

Blackened
13-05-2008, 08:23 PM
For the size you are looking for and the implied fuel useage just get a carby 2 stroke.
Etecs are way overpriced (they cost as much as a 4 stroke or more) and 4 strokes are too heavy for your boat size (causes porposing).
The service for a carby 2 stroke costs bugger all and as long as you go oil injected they are hassle free as long as you keep them serviced.
Remember the more you spend initially the more money it will loose when you try to sell it on. Optional extras are worth nothing come resale time. (as i found out the hard way)

G'day

I've stayed out of this thread for a reason.... think I just found it!!!!!

What an absolute load of .................

Dave

BM
13-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Allabaster,

I might well be the first to put it in print but you are ABSOLUTELY FULL OF SHIT......

Mariner IS Mercury since approx 1983.

Please... If you want to dribble shit, find a toilet, not a forum.....

Blackened
13-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Beat you to it Nick ;)

trymyluck
13-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Alright here's another question in regards to the e-tec vs 4 st debate.I'm currently considering updating the 115 hp johno with a 90 e-tec for 2 reasons.
1 Max hp recommended is 90 hp
2 Better fuel economy and range
MY boat is a Savage Osprey 5.05 and i feel that the extra weight of the 90 4 st would a problem so a smaller lighter 4 stroke would be needed.Question is how much of a disadvantage would the smaller motor be and do i really need the max hp?
Sorry to keep this going for a bit longer but what the hell.
Mark

phewy
13-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Beat you to it Nick ;)

Hey, I was first. But I was a lil more subtle...lol......did you notice the clown emoticon.

;)

allabaster
14-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Calm down sweethearts, people get more riled up about outboard makes than the usual geniuses on a Ford vs Holden debate.
And i was joking about the mariner point (as they seem be marketed to the lower end of the price range even though they are essentially identical) but the "black death" fact is very real. Especially the verado section of the range.
Now does any body want to refute my comments about e-tecs being vastly overpriced?
Or how about engines with too much weight in smaller craft (<5m) being a major cause of handling issues? (porposing just to start with)
The fact of the matter is that for the usual 50hrs(give or take) of time on a standard recreational boat per year, will not make up for the extra cost of a 4 stroke or an e-tec based on fuel savings. If you have financed your boat this is made even worse by the extra interest you have to pay on top of the extra capital cost.
The larger the boat you are powering the more this equation turns to the favour of a 4 stroke as the fuel useage difference will become more pronounced and the weight distribution will be less of an issue.

business class
14-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Alright here's another question in regards to the e-tec vs 4 st debate.I'm currently considering updating the 115 hp johno with a 90 e-tec for 2 reasons.
1 Max hp recommended is 90 hp
2 Better fuel economy and range
MY boat is a Savage Osprey 5.05 and i feel that the extra weight of the 90 4 st would a problem so a smaller lighter 4 stroke would be needed.Question is how much of a disadvantage would the smaller motor be and do i really need the max hp?
Sorry to keep this going for a bit longer but what the hell.
Mark

To be honest everyone goes on about the E-tech being the best and the lightest around! but tell me what hand grenede is heavy;D :P

Dicko
14-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Now does any body want to refute my comments about e-tecs being vastly overpriced?

Yep.

Economics 101 has already answered it for you.

Like most products, they're priced at a level the market is prepared to pay.

If they were "over" priced they wouldn't sell.

They're selling plenty. That means they're not over priced

What's your theory on why they're vastly over priced ?

notsa
14-05-2008, 01:46 PM
To be honest everyone goes on about the E-tech being the best and the lightest around! but tell me what hand grenede is heavy;D :P
I did not know they made a lighy hand grenede.

business class
14-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Yep.

Economics 101 has already answered it for you.

Like most products, they're priced at a level the market is prepared to pay.

If they were "over" priced they wouldn't sell.

They're selling plenty. That means they're not over priced

What's your theory on why they're vastly over priced ?

Because there more then a 4stroke:o and you still have to mix fuel and oil:o that technology went out years ago. why go back to it?????:-/

Noelm
14-05-2008, 01:50 PM
crap, I have to go and cook some more Popcorn! anyone for a Hotdog and a beer?

TimiBoy
14-05-2008, 01:57 PM
but the "black death" fact is very real. Especially the verado section of the range.

I don't care about the this vs that engine debate, but man it steams me when puke like this gets typed.

I'd love to see some evidence (or maybe I wouldn't) of Verados being black death, given that my research before buying one came up with very much the opposite. Every person I've met that has one is in love with it. Sure they're big and heavy, but in the right application they are the sweetest thing.

I made a comment re E-TECS the other day about a second hand story - I identified it as such, so that folks could take it or leave it. Please identify your source so I can investigate it, or bag it.

disorderly
14-05-2008, 02:12 PM
crap, I have to go and cook some more Popcorn! anyone for a Hotdog and a beer?

Yes please Noel a Midstrength will do nicely....I could also use a bag to puke inhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif.
I have never read so much crap before as I have in this thread...Totally ridiculous,unsubstantiated claims are being made here by people who obviously have no clue at all...

I can handle a bit of friendly or humorous banter but some of this mindless drivel is pretty off putting to say the least.

Unbelievable....

scott

business class
14-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I did not know they made a lighy hand grenede.
E-tech is your perfect example:P

business class
14-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Yes please Noel a Midstrength will do nicely....I could also use a bag to puke inhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif.
I have never read so much crap before as I have in this thread...Totally ridiculous,unsubstantiated claims are being made here by people who obviously have no clue at all...

I can handle a bit of friendly or humorous banter but some of this mindless drivel is pretty off putting to say the least.

Unbelievable....

scott

Are you gettin all emotional now disorderly:( . dont worry im here for you:P

notsa
14-05-2008, 02:22 PM
E-tech is your perfect example:P
I will not read anything you put on the forum because your full of shit.

Noelm
14-05-2008, 02:28 PM
I will not read anything you put on the forum because your full of shit.
I think you just did!

business class
14-05-2008, 02:31 PM
I think you just did!

He got you there Notsa:P

Dicko
14-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Because there more then a 4stroke:o and you still have to mix fuel and oil:o that technology went out years ago. why go back to it?????:-/

Mate, I aint a born again e tec disciple. (god forbid, there's enough wheel barrow pushers around here already).

I just look at the facts.

The way I see it is they work.

They have good fuel economy, low emissions, low weight, and priced to what the market will pay. (refer to previous post).

They aren't the be all and end all for any application. That's why we have choices.

I don't understand the oil bit you mentioned. 4 strokes have oil too,,, in the sump. In case you didn't know, the dealer changes it every service. A 2 stroke you put it in a tank and it gets distributed around the engine with the fuel. I'm not sure which is the older technology. I'd guess the 4 stroke that was probably invented before a 2 stroke engine.

Clutching at straws, you could say they are both old technology. Either way, I still don't see the point.

I haven't been around here for a while and didn't realise the one eyed Anti e-tec people are nearly as narrow minded as the one eyed e tec worshippers. ;D

Scott nthQld
14-05-2008, 02:36 PM
I might as well chuck my 2c in as well.....

When we repowered my boat, we were looking at all the options, after talking to many people who owned each of the brands we made a short list of 3 brands, Suzuki 4str, Yamaha 4str, and an E-tec. Max hp on the boat was 70 hp, so we looked at suzuki first, but alas, the enginge was too heavy for the transom, so that was scratched, no other reason. With Yamaha making a 6ohp, then jumping to 80hp, we looked at both the 60 4str yammie, and a 70hp etec. Both from different dealers, both with their horror stories, and both with high regard, depending on who we spoke to. We decided on the yammie, simply because at that time the e-tec was nearly twice the price (back then, its a different story now, etecs are about on par I think), and the yammie dealer gave us a better trade in offer on the old mariner. For no other reasons was the yammie chosen over the etec, and since then, after sales service has been excellent so we couldn't be happier with our choice. And we get about 1.5-2 miles for every litre of fuel, a little less if trolling. Given the chance back then (ie the etec's were cheaper like they are now) I daresay I would've gone that way and be just as happy.

What it comes down to is finding a reputable dealer, one that won't stuff you around and will give you great after sales, and finding the best deal to suit your needs. We don't do any skiing, but do a bit of trolling every now and then, so we didn't need the 'holeshot' of a 2 str, and from what has been said on here (this part is heresay so cover your eyes if your not interested), a 4str will use less fuel on the troll than any 2 str, so you've really got to look at what you will be doing most of, and start from there. A 4str will still do the job if you will be skiing, but having a slight delay in power, it will just take that little extra for the skiers to stand up.

Noelm
14-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I reckon Evinrude should make a new 4 stroke and call it an Etec as well!

Wahoo
14-05-2008, 03:47 PM
y but the "black death" fact is very real. Especially the verado section of the range.

i would REALLY like to hear all you know about the Verados, the "black death" bit will be good

BrenMac
14-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Well now, perhaps we shouldn't write off Allibasters comments prematurely. I have no doubt that he has owned one or two carby two strokes in his time, but someone who has made such outlandish comments above must have surely owned and have extensive experience with Etec, Verado, Tohatsu and just about every other brand under the sun!::)

I have just purchased a Verado 200 L4 so I guess I'm gonna find out the hard way......;D

Cheers
BMac

sea raider
14-05-2008, 06:03 PM
i would REALLY like to hear all you know about the Verados, the "black death" bit will be good

http://www.coastaloutdoors.com/ibf/index.php?showtopic=15160

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/003138.html

http://www.###################.com/forum/general-chat/9425-mercury-verado-problems.html

Heres three people with problems, found them all in 5 minutes.

There is sure to be more.

Oh, and all of these arent second hand stories which the E-Tec knockers all seem to listen to

Cheers

Geoff

Wahoo
14-05-2008, 06:10 PM
mmmmm just read them, sounds like the same problems the E-Tecs have, lack of knowledge and upgrades, you should log on and let them know how to fix them;D;D

disorderly
14-05-2008, 06:22 PM
mmmmm just read them,

Yeah me too,Daz...
Hmmm...those verados are starting to look like a damn fine anchor.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.

Might be time to upgrade to an E-Tec, I think.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Wahoo
14-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah me too,Daz...
Hmmm...those verados are starting to look like a damn fine anchor.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif;D.

Might be time to upgrade to an E-Tec, I think.;D

LOL Scott

got to get me a leecy anchor winch first:-/;D

disorderly
14-05-2008, 06:29 PM
LOL Scott

got to get me a leecy anchor winch first:-/;D

Yeah mate,I remember ...you don't do anchors,do ya Daz.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

BrenMac
14-05-2008, 07:08 PM
mmmmm just read them, sounds like the same problems the E-Tecs have, lack of knowledge and upgrades, you should log on and let them know how to fix them;D;D

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

black runner
15-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Unless I missed something, MARS hasn't surfaced since he asked the question in post 1 - page 1.

Threw the bait, sat back and watched the feeding frenzy. ::)

Not a bad effort for a "new to boating".

Anyway the Yammie and Mercury 60 efi 4strokes are the same weight as the 60 etec (about 110 kg), so the 4st weight peanalty isn't an issue here. Suzuki 60 4st weighs 162 kg and Honda don't have a 60 hp yet so not too sure where MARS is comming from so I assume these are out of the comp. So its down to dealers/service reliablilty, reputation, track record and cost. Last time I looked at "RRP pricing" the etec was $1000+ dearer than the Merc, Yam, Honda (50hp)and about $200 cheaper than the Zuke.

I have a Yammie 60 4st and can't fault it. They get good wraps in all tests I have seen but then so do all the other motors listed.

Do your research (thers heaps of info and testimonials out there), go for a test drive and get some references from dealers.

Cheers

tin can marlin
15-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Very hard thing to say i think stick with 4 stroke yamaha is the pick of them only because of resale etc.