PDA

View Full Version : Tow pack needed for Viking?

tsea
09-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi there,
I have a commodore wagon VX which has the standard 1200kg bar on it at the moment.
Will this be suitable to tow a 5.2 viking (82 model) with 115 yamaha?
I am considering the HD tow pack which includes struts. According to Holden dealer transmisson cooler is not needed. I would have though so?
So i guess i need an estimate of BMT mass?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Todd

Hagar
09-05-2008, 10:27 AM
G'day Todd

My 5.2 glass cab sometimes gets towed with the VS commodore . I found the rear springs were a little soft and it now has stiffer coils . Any auto trans tech will usually say a cooler is recommended for towing any decent load . Temperature kills autos . At 1200 kgs your trailer should already have over-ride brakes just keep them adjusted right up . No problem for shorter trips although I have had to use boat engine assist on some slippery ramps due to some wheelspin .

Chris

ozscott
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Bloody Hell Hagar...thats a worry mate! Good thinking though.

fozzy
09-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I tow my Viking with a VX, but it had a 2100 kg towpack on it when i bought it second hand.

Dave

Blaster Bretty
09-05-2008, 06:54 PM
I tow my runabout around in the old VP ss and it handles it fine ( a bit thirsty but) im not too sure of the tow ball spec's but the boat and trailer would have to be in the 500 - 600kgs bracket (with motor and all goodie's). I have set the boat + trailer up in such a way that I can lift the trailer up very easily at the coupling with only one hand and as it sits on the car there is almost no compression of the rear spring's, this helps the tow pack set up heaps, Balance is the key issue when towing your load's even if it is only a rubbish trailer, the better you balance it all out the easier your vehicle + tow gear will handle it..... until you go way too heavy for the car, then it become's a matter of common sense.

Bretty..... hope this help's!

ozscott
09-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I towed my V16C Haines with a VT S 5 speed with a cold air induction kit - 3.8 V6. Went pretty well but chewed the juice. I dropped a wheel on the trailer over the end of a ramp once and had to do a burn out to get her off...just! It was 800kg all up - it goes without saying that I would not be pulling my Vagabond on the dual axle had I still had the VT; and if I did get her to the ramp the VT might well be sitting at the bottom of the bar by now:)

Pual44
10-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Todd,
I use to tow a viking with a VL 3 litre holden wagon (it was about the 82 model with a 115 yamaha as well - if its blue, its a big coincidence), when I got the tow bar put on I asked the suppliers to make sure it was 1500kg capacity. Other than that and making sure the trailer breaks were good, it towed fine, now worries. Kept the radiator in good nick also, just to be sure.

Cheers

backlash08
10-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi tsea - to be totally sure would be worth weighing the BMT, I reckon it would go close to 1200kg and maybe more full of fuel/gear etc. If anything goes wrong and you are overweight on either tow bar or vehicle specs your insurance comapny wont want to know you - this is one area to be sure on
cheers
Craig

tsea
11-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey here,
Thanks for the advice. I have done some maths with the vendor and have come up wth approx 960kg for BMT including 2x batteries and fuel (has a 80 litre tank). Jeff Webster puts the mass at around 1000kg. But i guess he hasn't seen the trailer.
I think i will stick with the 1200 kg bar and get a transmission cooler. What size should i get? You know you get a price and bigger always sounds better value!

Puall44 - This one is orange, what were your thoughts on your old boat? I figure will need tranny and stringers and floor done.........

Clee The whole rig is going over the scales prior to delivery as per rego. I will definitely check out radiators.

fozzy - Mate you have done well to find one with the tow pack. I have looked hard. Tow vehicles are really hard to find. Looked at diesel landcruisers for a while but the used price is crazy for the k's. Then there is the price of diesel.....

Hagar - I can't let the wife read that....... The old VX has traction control fitted hopefully it doesn't need to engage. Wow which wheel were you behind? goodstuff!

Thanks again
Will have pics soon.

cheers
TC