PDA

View Full Version : Anzac trout

stunnedmullet
08-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Well the weather around the townsville area was near perfect for taking the family out for a bit of fishing on some shoals around Balgal. The neap tides made it tough work however there was enough action to keep everyone amused. With nephew, bother in law and wife in tow the stunned mullet left rollingstone creek at an hour that did not amuse the wife or brother in law. The young nephew was keen as though and was the first one in the boat.
In between baiting hooks, replacing gear and ducking casts I managed to get young Tyler set up to catch some livies. In double quick time we had a few yellow finned pike in the live bait tank. Out went one lucky bait with a 12/0 as jewellery. As is the case with a full boat of novice anglers, I neglected the 80lb handline for the briefest of time while I attended to boat duties. Needless to say the handline starts flying around the bottom of the boat and once I had grabbed it, nothing. Another bait went down and this time I ignored all requests and held on. After a couple of good hits and a run that had everyone a bit concerned with what it was I was trying to achieve, in the boat landed a beautiful trout of 67cm and around 8-9lb.
Young Tyler was suitably impressed.
Upon cleaning the trout I was interested to discover a bait jig hook in its stomach. No doubt from one of the baits we had hooked and then managed to get eaten by said trout previously.
Stunnedmullet

Cobia Kid
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
sounds like you and the young fella had a great time, i havent caught a good
trout for a while now,
cheers

grinner2
09-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey stunned mullet , nice trout .Spent a couple of weeks up there a few years ago and had a ball .Cant wait do do it agian some day .

Malcolm1976
09-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Great to see good fish can still be caught in close. Just need to know where to go and how to do it!

stunnedmullet
12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Plenty of fish in close. Key is good livies, good tidal run and hit it early. Normally land 1 good trout every second trip. 9 times out of 10 get a feed of either sweetlip, nannys or cod with the odd mack thrown in.
The Mullet